Off body holstering without revealing?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Off body holstering without revealing?

Post by Divided Attention »

Today I had an interesting and new to me situation. I was attending a conference at a facility that is ALWAYS no carry - school district property. I had chosen to take my 9MM in my holster purse and leave the weapon locked in the lockbox in my car during the conference. I had a friend from work riding with me that doesn't know I carry and I have NEVER discussed weapons/shooting with at all.

When we arrived at the conference I had no problem locking my lockbox where my weapon was stowed while reaching for my purse, putting up shades etc. However, when we had an unexpected off campus lunch, I couldn't come up with a way to put my 9 in my purse. I kept thinking if I had my IWB or my 380 I coulda slipped it in on the sly. I felt like I had forgotten something the whole meal as my side arm was in the car.

I discussed this with MAR when I got home - his suggestion was to leave the weapon holstered in my purse and leave my purse in the car. While this is an option, the heat is not great for lip balm in my purse, and leaving my purse behind is not a comfy feeling in some places. Then too, my purse would not be "locked" up. I have places I can stow it out of sight, but still not locked...again not comfy.

Those of you that have been at this a lot longer - do you have any suggestions? I will be in this similar situation at least once more this summer, and many times in the future, as I hang out at schools A LOT!

Thanks in advance!
DA
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Off body holstering without revealing?

Post by RPB »

I use a Wilderness Safepacker sometimes... see video on about 4 ways to carry.
The front pocket flap is big enough for a billfold etc, I've carried a spare .380 and 2 mags in the flap pocket where the main part held my Taurus 9mm and spare mag.

It may or may not work for your purposes, but I use mine a couple times as month, when IWB won't be convenient

[youtube][/youtube]
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Put the safe in the trunk area and park with the trunk pointing away from the building. You can go get your lightweight jacket (which happens to conveniently be in the trunk) for going into the air conditioning and then put it up in the trunk when you come out while you get your gun. Say you're going to get your jacket out of the trunk while the passenger is otherwise occupied and you're already halfway there in a way which says the person need not follow as you'll be back before it is worth their trouble. Or you can always "forget" your jacket half-way through the parking lot, but then you risk an attendant hanging on your every word walking back with you or offers to use theirs or something harder to navigate.

You can also make an excuse about not wanting to carry around your heavy purse, pull the pocketbook with the chapstick out and just carry that while locking the purse in the trunk.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Could you tell your friend you need to make a quick phone call and suggest she go ahead and get a table. That would give you a minute or two to re-holster.

To keep it more honest, you could even make a quick call to check your work or home voice mail. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Divided Attention »

Great ideas! Alas, I drive a mommymobile that is trunkless. In future, I will be sure to have my 380, which I have gotten very good at holstering on the sly! It is small enough I can palm it behind my purse in my lap and slip it in my IWB very easily - not with my elastic belly band, but the hybrid holster is a cinch.

I thought about just saying I forgot my phone or something and going back for it, I just was totally at a loss today. I like the safepacker, but it just won't fit in my lockbox.

I guess the best answer is to convert all my friends and coworkers to be members of "polite society", then we can all have our own lock boxes!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

I use the "I forgot my cell phone" or "I need to make a quick private call" excuse.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

USA1

Post by USA1 »

I just say "Leme grab muh gun real quick".

...It's nice not having to hide anything. :mrgreen:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I like USA's method! :biggrinjester: I'm typically with my best friend and she knows I carry and will carry soon herself ;-)
Seriously, I like the idea of carrying a smaller gun if you need to holster on the sly.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

gwtrikenut

Post by gwtrikenut »

How about this? Tell your friend to get her CHL. No muss, no fuss. Problem solved.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I'm afraid I would fall in with the last couple of comments. But that certainly may not work for you and that is perfectly understandable.

Would there be a way of stowing the gun in a "wallet". Not knowing what kind of purse or the size maybe you could carry a bag in your purse large enough to stow your gun in and make the transfer in your purse. Then you're just locking up a bag with "personals". I'm thinking of the little zippered ditty bags or surely there is something more fashionable.

Not much of a thought but maybe it will lead to something better.

Return to “Ladies”