"Friendly Advice" - REALLY?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Friendly Advice" - REALLY?

Post by SewTexas »

I probably would have gotten angry at his stupidity and asked him how MPA would have helped in Luby's? or New Life, or any of the other shootings I may or maynot have remembered at the moment, gee, my gun would have been in the car...sound familiar???? :banghead: idiot....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

My inlaws are retired LEOS from another state. He's well over 6ft and a big guy and she doesn't even hit 5ft and is a little bitty thing. He made a comment to me once that he wasn't "going to mess with her, she's a better shot!" She just nodded and smiled... :fire

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

Cancel...
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

When I was searching for my first revolver I got a lot of the same from the store clerks, some of which were retired LEOs.
"Oh, honey, you don't want a .357. It's too much for a lady. How about a nice .380 that will fit in your purse?" (Keep in mind, I don't carry a purse, didn't have one with me at the time, and stated the exact model of revolver I was looking for while also explaining I didn't want a semi-auto. D'oh.)
"Sweetheart, you don't need a revolver that shoots .357 because you'll only ever need .38 special." (Nope, I carry .357.)
And the best of all: "Wouldn't you like a cute little pink gun instead? Here, it doesn't even have extra buttons or switches that might confuse you like other guns do..."

I could've smacked them all for their comments, but I just looked at my husband and said, "We're leaving," then marched my behind back to the car. I'm not going to give them my money after they've essentially told me I'm weak, dumb, and a "silly girl."

Had I been in that class with you I may have just lost my temper. I'm absolutely sick of people telling me it's cute or, alternatively, looking worried and then saying I might hurt myself. What's that old saying? Heck hath no fury like a woman scorned.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Good point... not all women are incompetent, and not all police officers (reserve or otherwise) know the law.

I hate the ignorance that some police officers have. Especially when they tell others what the law says. It's impossible to convince someone of what the law actually says when their uncle/brother/whatever is a police officer and told the person so.

Officers always tell civilians "ignorance of the law is no excuse". And then there is the saying "you may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride". IMO, that second saying shouldn't even exist. I'm not a fan of hypocrites...

I respect police officers and understand that they go into harm's way to protect others, but if the primary component of your job is to uphold the law, I would expect one to know the law.

EDIT: It can also be pretty darn expensive to practice with the projectile tazers, and if one doesn't practice, how do you know it's capabilities and it the machine even works (cue stories of people that held on to firearms for protection and didn't even know they didn't work).

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

GRRRRRRRRR.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

RobinK

Post by RobinK »

I believe in having a non-lethal method to stop a threat in circumstances that call for it, but to rely solely upon it? No thanks. A stun gun is a nice complement to my CHL, not a replacement.
Facilitator of A Girl and A Gun, North Fort Worth Chapter
Member of IDPA, Cross Timbers Chapter
Texas CHL Holder since 2007

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Speedo! Where you been?

Mrs. Oldgringo and I did our renewal thinghy this past Sunday. There was a young woman, a mid-30ish first timer, there who was alone, sat by herself, and didn't have much to say.

After book learnin', we went to the range and shot under monitored groups of three. For some reason, I watched her shoot. At 3 yards, her 20 shot group was the size of a small clinched fist. At 7 yards, it got no bigger. At 15 yards, her 10 shot group opened up a little-bitty bit. I was impressed! Best that I could tell, her shooting was certainly better than ours, and was at least as good as any man there.

Would she shoot me if I was a threat? I dunno', but if she did, I'd be deadern' a hammer. Don't mess with Texas wimmen who have a gun. :txflag:

Return to “Ladies”