Galco holsters

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ANG201
Posts in topic: 2

Galco holsters

Post by ANG201 »

Is the Galco IWB holster okay to be worn with athletic pants, or lightweight pants, or will it be too heavy and pull the waisteband down?
GEORGE WASHINGTON-"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains EVIL interference."

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Galco holsters

Post by Pawpaw »

Hint: It's not the holster that pulls the pants down, it's the weight of the pistol.

In answer to your question... to carry IWB or OWB, a good gun belt is the key to keeping your pants from sagging.

Best of luck!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Another comment....

I own three different Galco holsters. Two are OWB Concealable Belt Holsters for a 3" and 5" 1911, and the third is a Miami Classic shoulder holster rig with two sets of holsters and magazine carriers to fit my 1911 pistols and my M&P45. I swear by the quality of their products. I realize that none of these are the type of holster that you mentioned, but whatever you do settle on, if it is made by Galco it will be a high quality holster.

If you are looking at something to wear with pants that were not really designed to conceal a holster, have you thought perhaps of something like either a fanny-pack or a Smart Carry?

Smart Carry (worn inside the pants, doesn't need a belt): http://www.smartcarry.com/

GunnySack fanny-pack: http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SE ... UN-CADDIES
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
ANG201

Post by ANG201 »

I have a Bersa Thunder cc and was narrowing down my choses between galco IWB and Pistolwear Trump Card. I've never worn a regular belt and probably won't ever. I usually wear loose fitting clothing like athletic pants jeans and want a holster that will conceal my gun well. I've only carried for about 3 weeks and when I do, I've worn the bellyband, but it gets uncomfortable. I don't care for the smart carry because I want it on my right hip. Any more suggestions?
Last edited by ANG201 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEORGE WASHINGTON-"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains EVIL interference."

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

I simply turn the smartcarry to the right part of my hip, I can't carry appendix, even with smartcarry. All ya gotta do is rotate it around, and it sits nicely. Thats what I use when I'm wearing athletic pants, shorts, etc..
No More Signature

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ANG201 wrote:I have a Bersa Thunder cc and was narrowing down my choses between galco IWB and Pistolwear Trump Card. I've never worn a regular belt and probably won't ever. I usually wear loose fitting clothing like athletic pants jeans and want a holster that will conceal my gun well. I've only carried for about 3 weeks and when I do, I've worn the bellyband, but it gets uncomfortable. I don't care for the smart carry because I want it on my right hip. Any more suggestions?
I was just like you when I was younger and before getting my CHL. I almost never wore a belt except with dress slacks. If you want the gun on your hip and you don't want it to drag your pants down you're gonna need a decent belt. I gave in to it and so have many others. We get used to it and before you know it not having that belt on will feel strange just like once you get used to carrying it will feel strange on the odd occasion you cannot. Get a belt.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ANG201 wrote:I have a Bersa Thunder cc and was narrowing down my choses between galco IWB and Pistolwear Trump Card. I've never worn a regular belt and probably won't ever. I usually wear loose fitting clothing like athletic pants jeans and want a holster that will conceal my gun well. I've only carried for about 3 weeks and when I do, I've worn the bellyband, but it gets uncomfortable. I don't care for the smart carry because I want it on my right hip. Any more suggestions?
You've pretty much eliminated most ways of carrying a pistol. My wife carries a Kahr CW9, which is probably just a bit smaller than your Bersa. She has one a Kangaroo Carry: http://kangaroocarry.com/. She also has an OWB belt holster, and a CCW purse.

If you're unwilling to wear a belt, you've eliminated fanny-packs, gun caddies (website), or pretty much any kind of waist-carried system of concealing a pistol, including inside or outside the waistband holsters.

If you're unwilling to wear any kind of belly band, then you have also eliminated the Kangaroo Carry, above, which incorporates elements of both a belly band and a shoulder holster. I will say that the Kangaroo Carry belly band is made of cotton, not elastic, and it only squeezes you as much as you make it do so.

First, a Smart Carry can be worn over the hip, under your pants, if you want to, although it is probably less comfortable that way. But if you're not willing to wear one of those, then that really leaves you with only three options: a shoulder holster, a pocket holster, or some method of off-body carry, which is not the best alternative. Purses can be snatched, and when that happens, you've just armed a felon. Also, when thinking "pocket holster," also think "pistol light enough to carry in my pocket without pulling my pants down." That may exclude your Bersa Thunder (20 oz unloaded) compared to a scandium J-framed .38 Special (11-13 oz unloaded). Of course, the smaller lighter gun may cost more than the Bersa.

I don't mean to be discouraging because I heartily encourage women to arm themselves whenever I can. But whether you are male or female, concealed carry invariably requires some kind of compromise, either in your sartorial choices, your carry method, or the type of gun you choose to carry. Invariably, the degree to which you are able to compromise in terms of clothing directly affects the degree to which you will be able to find an efficient, comfortable, and tactically effective way to carry your pistol. The more you can compromise, the more carry choices you will have. The less you are willing to compromise, the fewer carry choices you will have. These things transcend gender.

If you are really serious about wanting to carry your gun, you're going to have to learn to compromise in some manner or other. Just something to think about.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I rarely wore belts before I started carrying, but have adapted, and now wear a belt all the time. It is a challenge to find ladies shorts with belt loops, and finding any ladies with wide enough for some heavy enough belts. I did find and love a 1" double thickness leather belt. Also, when I first started with my belly band under scrubs, I thought I would never be able to wear it for more than an hour or so as the corners and then I discovered undershirts! I have a small collection of assorted styles of under shirts.... cami stye, "wife beather", sleeveless tee style, mostly of the under armour type wicking material as SE Texas does not require warmer ones often but often needs wicking!

Carrying off body is not a great option for me as I am likely the worst for putting my purse down and walking away. However, I do have a great holster purse, and will use it if absolutely no other option, like a dress or slacks without belt loops, as I am not a fan of ankle or thigh holsters.

Wish you the best in your quest!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Return to “Ladies”