Most comfortable IWB carry position for women?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Texas10X
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Most comfortable IWB carry position for women?

Post by Texas10X »

nakedbike wrote:I've run across this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk many times on other forums when laddies are asking for advice. The lady who does the link seems to have thought this out.
Thanks for posting that link. She shows a lot of methods for carrying, and does so in a variety of clothes with explanations of pros and cons, etc. She also shows holsters that she has for her gun (LCR, if I remember correctly).

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

I'm sorry I've been busy with the in-laws the last couple of week, I haven't had a chance to peek in. When I carry on body I carry at about 10'clock. I am right handed, but I found that carrying on the right side just felt incredibly uncomfortable. For some reason it feels "more bulky" on that side than on the left. I know doesn't make a bit of sense but that's how it feels. I also have a bad right hip, and just a few ounces can make a difference on a bad weather day.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Never appologize for crossdraw carry. Excellent spot for ladies w/ just a little training.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
urnoodle
Posts in topic: 4

Post by urnoodle »

SewTexas I've given crossdraw some thought too. I think I've ruled out 4:00 position. It's the one I've practiced the most but it just feels too awkward for me. I don't think I would have very good control with it when the adrenaline is pumping. The 3 contenders are appendix, crossdraw and shoulder holster carry. Ankle carry not so much. I think I'll pick one, stick with it for a while until I'm confident with it and then move on to another one. Probably moreso with women than men, our clothing often dictates are ability to conceal. I can see how being confident with several can benefit with our dress and perhaps if one is injured. I'm going to start with appendix carry. It seems to have the shortest learning curve and until I can take the classes I have put on the back burner, it will make the most sense. Hopefully by the end of the week or early next week I'll have my license to try it out. I bought a Don Hume appendix carry holster. I'll let you all know how it works out.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johncanfield »

I've been after my wife to get her holster situation figured out for weeks (her CHL is in the mail) and I think she is going to start with a front carry IWB, appendix or cross-draw. She chose a Remora (clipless ) for the M&P compact and for the little Sig, but the Sig with a laser is a little too tight in the Remora.

I'm encouraging her to carry the M&P at the 3:30-4:00 position - it's too big to be comfortable for her forward of the hips, but she will ultimately figure out what works the best for her. The little Sig should work well for her in appendix or cross-draw - it is extremely easy to carry and conceal.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

johncanfield wrote:I've been after my wife to get her holster situation figured out for weeks (her CHL is in the mail) and I think she is going to start with a front carry IWB, appendix or cross-draw. She chose a Remora (clipless ) for the M&P compact and for the little Sig, but the Sig with a laser is a little too tight in the Remora.

I'm encouraging her to carry the M&P at the 3:30-4:00 position - it's too big to be comfortable for her forward of the hips, but she will ultimately figure out what works the best for her. The little Sig should work well for her in appendix or cross-draw - it is extremely easy to carry and conceal.
I am hearing great things about the Remora! I can't wait to try that myself.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

johncanfield wrote:I've been after my wife to get her holster situation figured out for weeks (her CHL is in the mail) and I think she is going to start with a front carry IWB, appendix or cross-draw. She chose a Remora (clipless ) for the M&P compact and for the little Sig, but the Sig with a laser is a little too tight in the Remora.

Hopefully, she's wearing at home now, both in getting the holster into a position that feels comfortable (including while sitting) and in practicing the concealed aspect with various clothing. Practicing drawing (with no ammo) is also good to do in that environment. It's amazing how much it all pays off!

Good luck with her getting a setup that's right for her!

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I was just thinking about this yesterday - no, she's not wearing very much at home :headscratch. I think it is time for another loving nudge.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mamabearCali »

I carry at about 4:30 position. It is super duper comfy-- not really--does it hurt, no. But that is the only position I can conceal my glock 36 in (everywhere else is super obvious) so that is where I carry.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Return to “Ladies”