Nursing baby and 1 day class

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
TheZooKeeper
Posts in topic: 3

Nursing baby and 1 day class

Post by TheZooKeeper »

Hiya Gals,

I'm hoping someone has a solution for my delimma. My youngest is still nursing and although she's not a new baby, she still nurses often and won't be weaned for another year or so if she's like the rest of my kids. I very much want to get my CHL but there's no way I can be away from her for an entire day. We'd both be miserable and I know my husband wouldn't make it. :lol:

I dread the thought of delaying getting my liscence for a year or more. I'm not seeing any options for taking multiple classes to accrue the 10 hours of instruction time. They're all one day classes. Which, if I wasn't nursing a baby would be great. I keep thinking there has to be an alternative to one day classes. Am I hopefully missing the obvious? I'm just N of Austin if that helps with options.

Thanks,

Liz

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Nursing baby and 1 day class

Post by A-R »

Problem is often finding enough other students also willing to show up for each segment of a multi- day class.

But I do offer some small-group personalized CHL classes in Cedar Park area - if you'd like to discuss details, send me a PM or email.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Early on, many instructors offered the CHL class over several evenings after work, but most students preferred the one day format so much that it's now rare to find anything else. Good luck finding a class that fits your schedule.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Probably not an ideal solution, but have you considered expressing milk and having her sitter bottle feed while you take the class?

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

RottenApple wrote:Probably not an ideal solution, but have you considered expressing milk and having her sitter bottle feed while you take the class?
:iagree:

Breast pumps are not cheap but maybe you can borrow one (I think Obama care gives you one for free if you're poor)? I'm no expert though (being a guy) just have recent (just short of a year ago) experience helping my wife through SO MANY breastfeeding issues (terrible mastitis, latching issues, you name it we probably had to work though it).

EDIT: Just saw you've had multiple kids, you know more than I or my wife about the breastfeeding/pumping

Topic author
TheZooKeeper

Post by TheZooKeeper »

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!!

I totally understand the benefits of a 1 day class. If it weren't for my wee attachment I'd be all over knocking the whole thing out at once. A-R, sent you a PM. Rottenapple pumping is a good idea, but my daughter has never had a bottle (to late to convince her now) and thinks sippy cups are for dumping upside down and using the contents to annointing ones self with (or the dogs, or an older sibling, or the floor....). She doesn't believe me when I tell her people food is for eating either. I can't even complain about her dedication to her opinions or I get a quick reminder that she's just like me. Ha! My timing for finally getting inspired to get my CHL is bad. We just moved back into civilization after living very rural for many years. I'd almost forgotten there were more than 4 legged predators while way out in my isolated bubble. Not to keen on being reminded. Knotquiteawake, good for you and your wife for working through the challenges. My youngest is #5, so yep, I've got a little experience. The amazing thing about kids is that no matter how many you have, the smart little stinkers figure out new ways to confound you. We don't qualify for a darn bit of Obama anything, unless you count qualifying to pay taxes at the end of the year. I'll spare y'all my rant about my opinion of Obama. :evil2:

Thanks again for feedback. I'll just keep hunting around and hope I can work something out.

Liz

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

My wife had to take her renewal class while nursing the baby. We were fortunate to find an instructor locally that was willing to do a one-on-one class which worked perfectly. She just brought the baby with her. :thumbs2:
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

loveslattes

Post by loveslattes »

Hey Zookeeper, could your hubs bring her by for lunch and snack/break times? Not ideal but you could nurse her twice or three times during your breaks. Our 8-6 class broke about 10, 12:30 and 3. And we probably were done a tad early as well. BTW, it's awesome that #5 gets just as much attention as #1-#4!

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

loveslattes wrote:Hey Zookeeper, could your hubs bring her by for lunch and snack/break times? Not ideal but you could nurse her twice or three times during your breaks. Our 8-6 class broke about 10, 12:30 and 3. And we probably were done a tad early as well. BTW, it's awesome that #5 gets just as much attention as #1-#4!
this could be the ideal solution! and if your hubby needs to take the class with you, contact me, I might be able to connect you with a friend for babysitting, she might be able to bring the baby in for your breaks.

oh, I hope A-R can work out something!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

hpcatx

Post by hpcatx »

Saturdays are not available for me, so when I got my LA CHP I was able to find a weekday class that was broken up over two evenings. (In Texas, I did one long session on a Sunday.) Maybe you can find something similar.
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Topic author
TheZooKeeper

Post by TheZooKeeper »

Yes! If there are enough breaks my hubby could bring her to me to nurse. Or, if there's a place with relaxed, friendly classes where they wouldn't mind if I had to nurse maybe once or twice in class that'd be awesome (not super likely she'd need to, but possible). Any suggestions in the C. Texas area for a relaxed place to take the class? I'd love to do a 1:1 class but suspect I can't afford it.

What is the typical schedule for the class? Is range qualifying on the same day? I hate trying to plan for something and having no idea what to expect. Not that I'm OCD about organization or anything (ok, maybe a little). :roll:

I'm still looking for a weekday/ multi session class. SewTexas thanks for the offer to help me find a sitter. My older two are teens, I'm lucky this time around to have lots of helpers. My biggest constraint is really just being able to feed the baby. and yep, she gets just as much attention as the rest did. If not more. There's a 5 year gap between my youngest two somshe's really 'The Baby' all the older kids adore her, she might be just the slightest bit spoiled.

Thank you again for all the ideas and offers of help. Y'all are great!! I will get this figured out and get it done. I have good motivation.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

PM A-R he's a good guy, he might be able to work something out for you
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

Hi there! Didn't see anywhere to introduce myself, but I've been lurking for a bit. I'm also a mother of a nursing baby and trying to figure out a way to get my CHL without an entire day away from her. She's my third, and the only one of them who refuses a bottle -- go figure. Did you wind up finding anything? I'm also just north of Austin. Like you, I can wait if I need to, but I'd rather not if I can find an alternative.

Robyn

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

MotherBear wrote:Hi there! Didn't see anywhere to introduce myself, but I've been lurking for a bit. I'm also a mother of a nursing baby and trying to figure out a way to get my CHL without an entire day away from her. She's my third, and the only one of them who refuses a bottle -- go figure. Did you wind up finding anything? I'm also just north of Austin. Like you, I can wait if I need to, but I'd rather not if I can find an alternative.

Robyn
Seems like the two of you ought to be able to work something out with an instructor.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

baldeagle wrote:Seems like the two of you ought to be able to work something out with an instructor.
The thought crossed my mind, if Liz hasn't already found something. :)

Return to “Ladies”