Wife & Mom vs the BGs

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 4

Wife & Mom vs the BGs

Post by longtooth »

Took my 2 lovely ladies to the range yesterday for some serious home invasion practice. They like to shoot & "enjoy" it but lately I have been talking to them about the need to really train for specific things.

Home invasions are almost always multiple BGs.
First drill I set up 2 BGs close together at 7yd. 21ft, which is also an average hall length in many houses or moble homes as well as 2nd CHL proficiency distance. These BGs were in the complete open. At "go" glass fallling wakes you up & the door is jarred open. You have to get your gun & nutralize 2 BGs w/ whatever round count it takes & you DO NOT have 15 seconds to aim at the X inside the 10 ring. (Both are bad about this & Mom is terrible :roll: got to cover 17 rd mag w/ a quarter or :cry: )
Wife shot first & fired 10 rds to get 5 hits. 3 & 2.
Mom fired 12 & got 3 & 1.

I had set up a hallway using movable particians. It was 30ft long w/ my little Black & Decker Workmate at one end. Pillows on the workmate was "bed covers". We talked about concealment versus cover. Wall, door, or shower curtain is conceal. Matress & loose blankets are pretty good cover whether it is a cold winter night or a hot fire fight.

2nd drill. At go you hear glass fall & the door forced open. Get your gun, roll out of bed, take "cover", & again neutalize 2 BGs starting into the hall w/ whatever rd count it takes. Amazed them both what the hall walls did to improve accuracy even at a greater distance. Both immediately went to a 90% + hit ratio & at the greater 30ft distance. did this several times. DH & Little Boy very prowd of wife & Mommie. :hurry: :thumbsup:

Some steel plate drills followed to work on recoil control & getting back on a falling target fast. Shoot the steel & hit it the 2nd time before it is down. A good drill for recoil control & back on target. These at 15yds.
They both surprised themselves.

Last we did move & shoot. Moved across the hallway & take 2 shots w/o stopping. Go back the other direction. Moving strong side direction is always easier shot than moving weak hand direction.
Neiter ever hit the wall & both hit one BG every time. There were some 2 & 2s, 2 & 0s, 1 & 3s,but never 4 misses.
Then learned to take conceal & shoot down the hall. Neither had ever used a wall or other "side rest". Always rest under the gun. This gave some real problems for while. They had real time & accuracy issues really due to the wobbley light movable particians.

Great day at the range & both came away saying it was good as well as fun. Just got called for breakfast so good shooting.
LT.
Man I am prowd O them gals. :fire ing.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NcongruNt »

This sounds a lot like some of the classes they have out my way at KR Training. I was wanting to take the late-April "weekend course" (http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/Cl ... ekend.html), but apparently it's no longer on the schedule, and the next one is all the way in October! I guess they didnt' have enough advance-enrollment to justify the class. One of their students wrote a really good journal on the experience - http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/AT ... TB/at.html.

Anyhow, they seem to have a lot of different scenarios with movable walls and home defense situations like you had. Sounds like a great setup you have out there.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Good job LT, glad to hear you're providing sound training to loved ones. Something good to be said about that!

JLaw

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

We have the opportunity since it is an outdoor range. Ours will never look as kept as PSC does in the pictures. But it is outdoors, $85.00 a yr + an NRA member (OOOOOOHH reminds me & I will post a funny.) We can rapid fire, draw & fire, move & shoot w/ pistol or rifle or both, set up your own set w/ your own stands...If it is not a class 3 weapon & you show safety & proficiency we will let you do it.
I love it out there.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

longtooth wrote:We have the opportunity since it is an outdoor range. Ours will never look as kept as PSC does in the pictures. But it is outdoors, $85.00 a yr + an NRA member (OOOOOOHH reminds me & I will post a funny.) We can rapid fire, draw & fire, move & shoot w/ pistol or rifle or both, set up your own set w/ your own stands...If it is not a class 3 weapon & you show safety & proficiency we will let you do it.
I love it out there.
Sounds a lot like TGC. Gotta love these rural EasTex and NETex ranges, eh?

I don't think we have a rule against Class III, though. And it's unmanned and self-policed with no rangemasters (except during matches), so you only have to be confident of your own safety & proficiency to try something. Hardly ever anyone there to question you, anyway. Lots of good common sense in effect.

Kevin

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

KBCraig wrote:
Lots of good common sense in effect.

Yes sir, I am Safety & Range Marshall there. We have only had 2 problems there since I have been there. One time we had 2 guys decide they could shoot from the 350 yd mark at 8:00PM. Member & his visitor. He got a letter & one more stunt (does not have to be the same thing either) & he loses his membership.

Other one was a yeahooo that wanted to do some practice w/ his home defence shotgun. Since he was practicing for home invasion & the longest shot he would have would be less than 15 yd it seemed reasonable to him that the CHL boards at 3,7,& 15 were logical. It did not matter that the sign at the firing line is in 3" letters saying CHL practice range. Pistols only in recognized pistol calibers. He is no longer making decisions about which range he needs to be shooting on at ARPC.

Next time I am up to visit w/ tote 9 we need to get together & :fire some.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

longtooth wrote:Next time I am up to visit w/ tote 9 we need to get together & :fire some.
You've got my number, so we're on.

Instead of specific rules about bays and calibers, our rules address the meat of the matter: don't shoot the stands. Don't violate the 180 degree rule in the pistol bays. Don't poke holes in the swingers or plates (even if you are shooting a handgun). No handguns on the rifle range, unless fired from a rest. And never, ever, violate the hours of operation, which are 0800-sunset. (Someone decided to "move home" after decades away, and retire directly across the road from the range entrance. And then got all huffy about the noise. :roll: Thousands of lawyer-hours later, we have an uneasy truce.)

Kevin

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

KBCraig wrote:
longtooth wrote:Next time I am up to visit w/ tote 9 we need to get together & :fire some.
You've got my number, so we're on.

Instead of specific rules about bays and calibers, our rules address the meat of the matter: don't shoot the stands. Don't violate the 180 degree rule in the pistol bays. Don't poke holes in the swingers or plates (even if you are shooting a handgun). No handguns on the rifle range, unless fired from a rest. And never, ever, violate the hours of operation, which are 0800-sunset. (Someone decided to "move home" after decades away, and retire directly across the road from the range entrance. And then got all pissy about the noise. :roll: Thousands of lawyer-hours later, we have an uneasy truce.)

Kevin
What is the "180 degrees rule"?

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Well thought out, and run drills there LT...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Nice job LT. Wish I could get my wife to do some drills. She is one of those that thinks a monthly trip to the range is all she needs.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Liberty wrote:What is the "180 degrees rule"?
Designed to protect everyone behind you. Everything in front of you is your 180 degree course of fire....everything behind you is living and can't be muzzled. It is a great rule and allows the safety officer in a match to immediately see you have violated a safety rule.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

jbirds1210 wrote:
Designed to protect everyone behind you. Everything in front of you is your 180 degree course of fire....everything behind you is living and can't be muzzled. It is a great rule and allows the safety officer in a match to immediately see you have violated a safety rule.

Yup, an excellent rule indeed.

Additionally....this assumes the range has berms on three sides and that the course of fire calls for shots that encompass a 180 deg. arc (or less).

Most infractions occur not while shooting at targets (they should be set up so that this cannot happen), but instead....when somebody fails to re-holster before turning back around, or because someone spoke to them and the shooter then turns to face them (not good).
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

jbirds1210 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. I've never shot at a formal range where I wasn't limited to a "lane". Perhaps I need to get out more.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

LT, that sounds like it was a lot of fun!

I'm glad you took them to shoot with a scenario in mind. I wish we had moving walls at our range. :sad:
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

RPBrown wrote:Nice job LT. Wish I could get my wife to do some drills. She is one of those that thinks a monthly trip to the range is all she needs.
THey both love it & would get boared real quick if all we did was :fire , reload, :fire more, check targets, count holes & go home. If you have a place & she would like it, get creative.
Two weekends ago I had some cousins down for a visit. He had shot a handgun only a few times & she never until they bought one at the TSRA gun show. Wife & Mom were moving & shooting. Both moving to right & shooting across body did well. Moving left & shooting right handed gave more challange especially after passing the target. They said that was tough & it is.

I have a small box on a long rope. Wife pulls it for me to practice shooting a charging attack. They are about ready for that next time I think. That is some tough shooting.

Return to “Ladies”