Ladies... Are you training, shooting on the move?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ChoqPOC
Posts in topic: 3

Ladies... Are you training, shooting on the move?

Post by ChoqPOC »

Hello Ladies...

I am fairly new to the forum, well...not really because I joined right along with my May CHL Applicant peers and had a great time chatting, waiting and chatting. Nonetheless, I have returned because I want to ensure that I remain educated and interactive with my CHL peers.

With that in mind, I participated in Defensive Handgun 1 & 2 classes a couple weekends ago (16 hours total) and it was the best thing I think I've done since "thinking" I wanted to be a CHL holder. Thinking is in quotes specifically because, my thought of holding a CHL was primarily to ensure I was equipped with an adequate tool to protect me and my family should the need arise. However, thinking and being able to actually do are two different things.

The class consisted of a few hours of classroom curriculum on Day 1, then range time latter in the day. You thought you felt a little nervous when picking up a firearm for the first time... Well, try shooting it...on the move, while considering the other 15 ppl next to you PLUS the instructor and R.O's. As comfortable as I thought I was shooting my Sig P226 Enhanced Elite in the range - I was completely crushed in Defensive Handgun training. I mean, I can draw from a holster and shoot the gun...one the move, but that was after 4 hours of jaw clenching (you better NOT mess up) stress. And, de-cocking that darn Sig 100 times.

Day 2: A full day of the same, this time - with a Glock - because I am just not going to decock every again.

Anyway, I left there knowing that my training would never cease. I plan to train monthly with this same group...using the indoor range weekly (or as much as possible) to practice my fundamentals (stance/position, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, breathe and follow-through)... And of course, with my new carbine... I will start with the above training all over again w/ Defensive Carbine 1 & 2.

So, I'm asking the ladies of this forum... Are you training or shooting on the move? What was your experience?
"Be so good, They can't ignore you"
CHL: May 2013 | NRA Member

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ladies... Are you training, shooting on the move?

Post by CHLLady »

Sounds like an awesome class!

I have not trained that way yet, but plan to.

I'm so wishing I could join a group, but the one I wanted to join is over an hour drive during peak traffic. :grumble
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Topic author
ChoqPOC

Post by ChoqPOC »

CHLLady wrote:Sounds like an awesome class!

I have not trained that way yet, but plan to.

I'm so wishing I could join a group, but the one I wanted to join is over an hour drive during peak traffic. :grumble
It was an amazing experience. It is our responsibility to ensure that if we should have to fire our weapon, we better not miss the threat. There is too much at stake. This thought drives me to continue my training... But, it's also fun. My instructor is an hour drive from me, but it's worth it.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I don't think you can train enough! I find the classes I get to attend to be very therapeutic!

I am blessed in that there is a nearby range with a wonderful instructor (on is a lady) who offers monthly classes, as well as other opportunities. We shoot on the move, shoot moving targets, different skill drills. They also offer defensive Carbine and Shotgun classes and other defensive firearms skill classes. In addition, there have been low light shooting, gun cleaning and chosing your defensive firearm.

If you are in the north Houston area I would be happy to PM you the information.

In addition, I have done a lot of reading, and just training the brain so it has some experience to draw from is invaluable.

Lately my hubby and I have been taking Kenpo classes from some awesome instructors. Even has some knife skills!

Happy Training! Trust your spidey senses, be alert and be safe ladies!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
ChoqPOC

Post by ChoqPOC »

Divided Attention wrote:I don't think you can train enough! I find the classes I get to attend to be very therapeutic!
I agree, 150%! We live in the Dallas area and travel about an hour away to Greenville to train. We are extremely happy with our instructor and the RO's - the experience is priceless. I truly can't wait to incorporate carbine and shotgun training as well.

AmyJo

Post by AmyJo »

Hi, Yes, I train on the move and it is so much fun. It adds a whole new element. I took a defensive handgun class a little over a year ago where we covered shooting/loading on the move. The last one I did was a marksmanship course, but I want to take another defensive shooting class. Can't train enough!

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

ChoqPOC wrote:
Divided Attention wrote:I don't think you can train enough! I find the classes I get to attend to be very therapeutic!
I agree, 150%! We live in the Dallas area and travel about an hour away to Greenville to train. We are extremely happy with our instructor and the RO's - the experience is priceless. I truly can't wait to incorporate carbine and shotgun training as well.
Hi ChoqPOC! Welcome back to the forum!! I wanted to let you know that I have been doing carbine training in Grapevine since March of this year. I shoot at the American Sportsman Shooting Center. Check them out at http://www.sportsmanshootingcenter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They have just set up a curriculum of Carbine Training Classes that I believe are starting very soon! Here is a list of classes and prices:
Basic: $75
Intermediate: $100
Advanced: $125

There is also a Ladies Night group that shoots every Wednesday night from 5-9. It's $50, and that includes sighting in your rifle in the 100 yard tunnel, training in the laser simulation room, and then live fire in the cinema range. Think Big Buck Hunter on a huge screen with real rifles! They have both hunting scenes and carbine. It is a ton of fun! Feel free to PM me if you want, and I will be happy to meet you up there. :txflag:
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I am going to have to see if there are any classes like this in San Antonio!

Anyone know of any??

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Learning to move & shoot is excellent training but hard to find a palce to do it in the big cities. Well anywhere else too really.
Move & shoot is one of the basic defence skills I teach in my "Basic Training" package. I comsider it to be one of the very Basic skills needed to have a beginning foundation in Personal Defense.
If you are in the Deep East Texas area git in touch w/ me here by PM.
I just finished w/ 2 ladies & will start 2 more this coming Saturday. I work w/ very small numbers at a time so each one gets very Personal Attention.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

To the OP: may I suggest shooting IDPA with your local club. It's an excellent way to practice the skills you learned in your courses. It's inexpensive and fun too!
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

a girl with a gun

Post by a girl with a gun »

Ladies Shooting League I belong to shoots at outdoor range & we have a designated area when we meet. We do shoot on the move drills on a regular basis. Shoot moving forward, then back, shoot moving diagonally 4 to 5 targets. Also shoot with off hand and sometime set up a barrier to shoot from - so much fun!

Chapter I shoot with is the San Marcos one, we shoot at Lone Star Gun range outside of Lockhart . There are a number of Chapters in Texas so check it out @ http://www.agirlandagun.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Non-members are always welcome. Shooting this Saturday Nov. 8th. 12 to 3 pm We are the range farthest to the right as you come in at parking area, next to the rifle range. Fee is $15.00 for non- AG&AG. Check in at office first. Do not need to buy a target

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Shooting on the move, other than retreating to put distance between you and the treat, is a good way to get shot. I used to think it was a good skill and we do it all the time in IDPA. I recently attended the Advanced Individual Tactics class at CSAT that was taught by Paul Howe (career military and 10 years in Delta). You are best served to run as fast as you can to cover then return fire if needed. It is a great class. You will need to complete the prerequisites and be prepared for some very difficult pistol shooting, both in daylight and at night. Be prepared for bad weather if you go. It rained on us most of the 3 days. We never stopped. Highly recommend any of his classes.

Return to “Ladies”