As if choosing a holster wasnt hard enough...

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
asbandr
Posts in topic: 7

As if choosing a holster wasnt hard enough...

Post by asbandr »

Hi all. I'm still waiting on my plastic but am trying to find the right holster to get used to by carrying around the house. I ordered a remora holster and it works ok, but I have to carry at about 2 o'clock with a slight cant (or the rounded side pokes out and looks odd), but every time I sit, the corner of the holster digs into my leg. I have a Sig Sauer P238 with a flush mag on the way. I really want to carry IWB. I'm 5'2" and 135 lbs. I would like to find something that is pretty slim without much bulk. I like to carry pretty deep with pretty much just the grip and hammer above my pants line. I'd like to have an adjustable cant too.
But here's where I'm struggling. I can find several things but all require a belt. I have a knee injury that makes it painful to wear jeans, so I wear a lot of gym pants, skirts, and shorts. Most of my clothes can't be worn with a belt. Any suggestions? Is there anywhere in the Houston area that has a large variety of holsters I could try?
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

aaangel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: As if choosing a holster wasnt hard enough...

Post by aaangel »

as soon as i see gym pants,skirts and shorts.....this one always rings a bell!

http://www.pistolwear.com/trump-card-su ... t-holster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'got to Texas ASAIC.

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

This is the holster that works best for me.
http://www.kangaroocarry.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:cheers2:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

mikeloc wrote:This is the holster that works best for me.
http://www.kangaroocarry.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:cheers2:
WARNING: That site looks like it is infected with something. McAfee is warning that it is a malicious site.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Jason K
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jason K »

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/the ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of good reviews for these holsters on Youtube.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

asbandr wrote:Hi all. I'm still waiting on my plastic but am trying to find the right holster to get used to by carrying around the house. I ordered a remora holster and it works ok, but I have to carry at about 2 o'clock with a slight cant (or the rounded side pokes out and looks odd), but every time I sit, the corner of the holster digs into my leg. I have a Sig Sauer P238 with a flush mag on the way. I really want to carry IWB. I'm 5'2" and 135 lbs. I would like to find something that is pretty slim without much bulk. I like to carry pretty deep with pretty much just the grip and hammer above my pants line. I'd like to have an adjustable cant too.
But here's where I'm struggling. I can find several things but all require a belt. I have a knee injury that makes it painful to wear jeans, so I wear a lot of gym pants, skirts, and shorts. Most of my clothes can't be worn with a belt. Any suggestions? Is there anywhere in the Houston area that has a large variety of holsters I could try?
Thunderwear

Kangaroo carry

If you are female, flash bang.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

I really like the design of the Kangaroos and will probably pick one of those up if I can figure-out which of the 3 models to get. I do wonder for a woman though whether their design might sometimes interfere with (ahem) comfort.

But the "Micro" looks like just the ticket for my wife who has an LCP.

Thanks OP for the thread.

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

I picked up one of these guys secondhand: http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/magnet ... ndard-cant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't used it much, but a friend was selling it like new at a good discount and I thought it would be a nice option to have. My regular holster is a Crossbreed Minituck. I wear jeans most of the time but I do have some skirts and pants that don't work with a belt. The magnetic holster has worked fine the times I've used it, but I will say it's less comfortable to me to have something hanging on my waistband than on a good sturdy belt. The things I have that don't work with belts are often very light materials (a pair of silky wrap pants, for example) and the weight of the gun is awkward on those.

I don't know that I'd recommend it as a primary option, but it might be worth a look. If you're ever in the Austin area I'd be happy to let you try mine out, but I'm afraid I don't have any plans to head to Houston in the near future.

You might also look around and see if there's a ladies' shooting group in your area. I'm a member of one here in my area and everyone is great about letting people try out their equipment. I've tried holsters and guns, and I've lent out my gun a few times to people who wanted to shoot one before deciding to buy... or even just people who are interested in trying something new.

Edit to add: When I use mine, it's IWB. You can buy for either IWB or OWB.

Kenk

Post by Kenk »

I've been using an Alessi APX for my Smith 642 and I'm waiting for another APX for my Sig 938. It is for appendix carry and does NOT require a belt....in fact when I'm wearing a belt, the clip goes under the belt. It's made of very thin leather and the clip is offset so as to minimize the thickness of the package.

BTW, I also got a Remora for the Sig when they had their sale on. I don't really care for it IWB, especially when sitting.

I don't know how it will fit the female shape, but I'm a kinda skinny guy and it works well for me. I'm in Austin and expect to have my new APX within a couple of weeks.

Best of luck.

Ken

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

TexasGal, I think?, uses the Marilyn and likes it. I would like to try it some time.

I use a Kusiak with my LCP, with a mag, and I don't use a belt and I love it, but I wear alot of jeans, you could easily wear it with your shorts. With skirts and dresses I use a thigh garter that I made. I copied it from one that I bought but wasn't exactly perfect for me. I also use my purse occasionally.

I did try the flashbang, and that didn't work for me, but it does work for some, if you're interested in it, pm me, I'll sell it to you.

here's the thing, we women are incredibly picky, but we are blessed in that we have alot of different options for carrying methods.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Definitely going to keep researching. It's just hard because it's a whole new thing I'm venturing into and I'm worried I'm going to blow through a ton of money and have a bunch of holsters that won't work for me. I think I'm going to try to modify an uncle mikes iwb holster and see if I can get that to work at least for a while. I also found a way to make my own belly band type holster so will probably try that too.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

asbandr wrote:It's just hard because it's a whole new thing I'm venturing into
Your reasoning appears spot-on to me and I wish you well in finding what's right for you. Your idea to "carry around the house" is excellent of course and I wish my wife had a similar interest to your own. Her CHL is on-the-way and she has yet to practice carrying despite that she has a couple options to work with.

:grumble

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

I was resistant for a long time but the more I researched and watched the news the more I realized that the only way I can really protect myself and my children is to be armed. I guess with my hunt for the perfect holster I've become slightly obsessed. Most of my free time is spent researching holsters, laws, and anything else CCW related! ;-)

SassedandLoaded

Post by SassedandLoaded »

I carry the p238 gun every single day.
I have two methods of concealment (after going through countless holsters).

The first, for pants/skirts is the "In the Waistband Holster by the Well Armed Woman: http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/holste ... nd-by-twaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I CANNOT recommend this holster enough. Not only does it come in a BUNCH of awesome colors, its very comfortable and specifically made for woman's body. You can also adjust the cant. Pretty sweet.

The second, for dresses and tight shirts is the Femme Fatale Corset Holster: http://www.femmefataleholsters.com/Corsets.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While this is deep concealment, and you will not get the same ease of draw, it is SUPER comfortable (and sexy), and I can completely conceal my p238 even with a tight shirt. You don't need to be blessed in the chest area either.

Let me know what you decide on! Holsters are definitely a trial/error!

The Well Armed Woman has a great collection of holsters that are specifically made for women, and I always go there to see the new styles (although you can sometimes get better prices elsewhere!).

Good luck!

kattzoo

Post by kattzoo »

As SassedandLoaded mentioned, I love The Well Armed Woman. I have ordered the IWB holster and The Betty from there. I love them both.
Last edited by kattzoo on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ladies”