My plastic just can't come fast enough!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

jbarn
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My plastic just can't come fast enough!

Post by jbarn »

rotor wrote:You are dealing with DPS, no offense to anyone on this board that is affiliated with them, but they are the most inefficient government agency that I have ever dealt with. My dealings with them for non CHL ( and non criminal issues) has been frustrating to say the least. Inaccurate info on their website, promises to respond to email in 2 business days not met and then when they are responding, providing the wrong information. I have had to go through my state senator's office to get a response from DPS and that was not accurate either. You will get your CHL plastic eventually. Sit tight. Perhaps they are just overworked and underfunded, I don't know. I think a call to the IRS would provide a more accurate answer than a DPS answer. Again, this is not CHL related as they deal with many other types of licenses. If someone from their office ever tells you it is in the mail (assuming you can reach someone), don't count on it. Somehow though that CHL plastic does get to you. Not so for other types of licenses. Takes them 3 weeks just to cash your check.
Which part of 1702 are you? Or perhaps a home brewer?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
asbandr
Posts in topic: 7

Post by asbandr »

Unfortunately my doc said driving 3 miles won't have the same cardiovascular effects as walking it. Darn. ;)

I have been carrying my gun around the house to get used to it. Question: I know that carrying will likely never be super comfortable, but if I've carried all day at about 3 o'clock position, by the end if the day my hip feels almost bruised. Is that normal and will I get used to it?

Some of the others in the march waiting room are getting their chl's in, so I'm hoping by the end of the month I'll have it.

I have decided after today's experience I'm probably gonna carry a spare mag. Guess if better get to making a mag pouch and I'm gonna make a clip on pocket for keep my chl and stuff in when I walk and don't have pockets.

As far as noticing skin color, tattoos, etc., I think it's also good training that way if something were to go down, like someone tried to rob you then ran off, you would have already noticed a lot of identifying factors before things escalated so you could tell the police. I'm typically not good at committing details to memory so it would be a good habit for me. Nothing discriminatory about it unless your assuming every guy of a certain ethnicity with tattoos is a threat.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

asbandr wrote:Unfortunately my doc said driving 3 miles won't have the same cardiovascular effects as walking it. Darn. ;)

I have been carrying my gun around the house to get used to it. Question: I know that carrying will likely never be super comfortable, but if I've carried all day at about 3 o'clock position, by the end if the day my hip feels almost bruised. Is that normal and will I get used to it?

Some of the others in the march waiting room are getting their chl's in, so I'm hoping by the end of the month I'll have it.

I have decided after today's experience I'm probably gonna carry a spare mag. Guess if better get to making a mag pouch and I'm gonna make a clip on pocket for keep my chl and stuff in when I walk and don't have pockets.

As far as noticing skin color, tattoos, etc., I think it's also good training that way if something were to go down, like someone tried to rob you then ran off, you would have already noticed a lot of identifying factors before things escalated so you could tell the police. I'm typically not good at committing details to memory so it would be a good habit for me. Nothing discriminatory about it unless your assuming every guy of a certain ethnicity with tattoos is a threat.
many of the women I know don't carry at 3.00 try at 2 or 4, right on the hip bone just doesn't work for alot of women.
I carry on the left side, cross-draw and I carry between 10. and 11, depending on my jeans, the loops, etc.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

I've tried 2 o'clock with a forward cant, but the barrel pokes into my leg when I sit or bend. I don't like the idea of the gun behind me, plus it just doesn't conceal well on me there. I'm sure I'll get it figured out.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

Try 3:30, just behind the hip bone canted rear sight foreword. You can still sit in a car seat comfortably and it doesn't make you look wider. It's still easy to reach and doesn't show enough to identify when you bend over, with shirt tail over it.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

asbandr wrote:Unfortunately my doc said driving 3 miles won't have the same cardiovascular effects as walking it. Darn. ;)
Well, that's a choice you make then, isn't it?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

SewTexas wrote:
healthinsp wrote:It's a scanning mnemonic for looking at people and really seeing them.

Look at their hands. Where are they? Can you see both of them? Eyes... thousand yard stare? Fixed on you or another target? Will they make eye contact with you?

Scan bottom up: Shoes, are they wearing shoes? Is the clothing appropriate for the weather? A hoodie in the summer?

Scan top town: Are they wearing a hat? Ball cap? Are there any noticeable tattoos? Skin color?

I picked it up from a power point slide show by Herb Martin. He does a class on avoiding criminal assaults. He is around here.

I wouldn't say "tatts" I mean, I'm as straight-laced as they come, but I know several people with alot of tattoos, and they wouldn't hurt a fly. They are strong Christians, have young children, and would be hurt if they knew they made people nervous.
what I would say....is where are the tatts? and what do they say/look like? do they make you nervous? ie. MS-13 -- run...ok, don't run, but get away from the area. same for tear drops around the eyes.

skin color? really?
I don't believe the point of the phrase is to imply people with tats or people with a skin color are more dangerous.

No, the point is focused on getting you to really see each person in focused detail. If you could give a detailed description of someone to another person, then you took the time to consciously look them over and think, as contrasted to simply glancing past them.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

SewTexas wrote:
healthinsp wrote:It's a scanning mnemonic for looking at people and really seeing them.

Look at their hands. Where are they? Can you see both of them? Eyes... thousand yard stare? Fixed on you or another target? Will they make eye contact with you?

Scan bottom up: Shoes, are they wearing shoes? Is the clothing appropriate for the weather? A hoodie in the summer?

Scan top town: Are they wearing a hat? Ball cap? Are there any noticeable tattoos? Skin color?

I picked it up from a power point slide show by Herb Martin. He does a class on avoiding criminal assaults. He is around here.

I wouldn't say "tatts" I mean, I'm as straight-laced as they come, but I know several people with alot of tattoos, and they wouldn't hurt a fly.
Do they wear hats and shoes? :headscratch
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

tbrown wrote:
SewTexas wrote:

I wouldn't say "tatts" I mean, I'm as straight-laced as they come, but I know several people with alot of tattoos, and they wouldn't hurt a fly.
Do they wear hats and shoes? :headscratch
yeh. so? I understand the thing is about paying attention to your surroundings, I get it. I don't have to like the way it's done, if it works for you fine. unless you zone in on my kid.
he's the one who does often where a light hoodie in the summer, or and overshirt (he's a teen, deal with it), or he wears a hat, he's darker than white. oh, and he wears shoes?????
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

For the past two or three summers, I've seen a lot of male teenagers wearing winter weather watch caps pulled completely over the head, that is, barely above the eyes.

This is a dingbat teenage fashion statement.

It's gotta be a hotter than blazes to wear one of these in the Texas summer heat, but these dofus's are dedicated to their teen fashion, but there it is...they aren't dangerous, just silly.

My own 18 year old, beautiful natural blonde hair Granddaughter has dyed the top and bottom of her hair RED! No, not a freckle girl red, but RED as in fire engine!

Another dopey (but quite harmless) teen fashion statement.

What did I say to her upon witnessing this dismaying color, "ah, that's unique" and nothing more. She'll grow out of it and one day laugh at herself.

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Hey, I had black hair with blue highlights (natural light brown) and a nose ring and tattoos. I don't wear hats, but I do wear shoes a lot... And though I am white, if I am not careful with all this leather dye I'm using, I'll be all kinds of colors! Lol! Again, I think the point is just to focus on noticing people more in general, not necessarily that they're a threat.

FML

Post by FML »

asbandr wrote:Hey, I had black hair with blue highlights (natural light brown) and a nose ring and tattoos. I don't wear hats, but I do wear shoes a lot... And though I am white, if I am not careful with all this leather dye I'm using, I'll be all kinds of colors! Lol! Again, I think the point is just to focus on noticing people more in general, not necessarily that they're a threat.
:thumbs2: You're paying attention to what people are saying instead of what you expect to hear.

The mnemonic is a way to train yourself to pay attention and notice what's out of place. It could be clothing, body modifications, movement, or other behavior. This ties into Condition Yellow and similar concepts, with the advantage of laying out specifics instead of a vague admonition to be alert and aware of our surroundings. The list is not where to stop looking but where to start looking.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

Abraham wrote:For the past two or three summers, I've seen a lot of male teenagers wearing winter weather watch caps pulled completely over the head, that is, barely above the eyes.
I see some guys wearing beanies but I haven't seen wool or other winter weight watch caps since the polar vortex.
Abraham wrote:My own 18 year old, beautiful natural blonde hair Granddaughter has dyed the top and bottom of her hair RED! No, not a freckle girl red, but RED as in fire engine!
Pics?
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Return to “Ladies”