Advice for ladies

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

NavyVet1959
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Advice for ladies

Post by NavyVet1959 »

I bought a Kimber off of a woman once who had listed it on Craigslist. It was her husband's and she didn't want it in the house with her young son. I didn't agree with this, but the price was a lot cheaper than the going rate for them, so I went for it. I ran the serial numbers on it at my local PD to ensure it wasn't listed as stolen. Since the seller was a woman, I wanted to do what was necessary to make her feel as safe as possible, especially since it was going to be after dark, so I suggested that we in a well lit parking lot at a Chinese restaurant in the Chinatown (Beltway 8 and Bellaire) that I knew was open very late and had off-duty Houston LEOs who acted as security for the parking lot / restaurant. I eat there often and I have chatted with these guys quite a bit over the years. When she got there, she called, and I told her that I was by the front door with the officers. I had already printed out a bill of sale for each of us and we both signed them and one of the officers signed as a witness. I had previously told the officer what I was planning to do and it was so that she would feel safe. He did not have a problem with it.

If someone was to ask for me to send them a copy of my CHL prior to meeting with me, I would be hesitant, but only from an identity theft point of view. I don't like giving out my address to someone unless I know them a bit better than that. I might consider sending a copy of my DL or CHL if I had already blanked out my name, DL#/CHL#, and address. All that really does is give them a photo of me. The email addresses that I use do not map into an actual name either, so they can't go by that to easily determine my name. I also don't put my address on the bill of sale -- just my Google Voice phone number and email address.

I never bring anyone else with me to one of these transactions, but I have had other people who brought someone else with them. It has never been an issue, but I would prefer them to remain in the car. Unfortunately, due to my schedule, most of these transactions seem to occur at night. I also prefer to have a record of email or text messages so that I have a written record instead of relying on a voice call in case they later claim the item was stolen.

Topic author
texas_suzie
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Advice for ladies

Post by texas_suzie »

Great replies. Thank you all.

I don't have anyone to go with me, so I was thinking of a range. I could call someone and have them on the phone. I like that idea. My listing is on Texas Gun Trader. I don't have enough posts to list here. I just want to make this a safe and easy transaction for everyone.

I did call a range that is closer to home than the one I usually shoot, and they flat turned me down. Disappointing, and be assured they will not get any of my future business.

The range I usually shoot at is an option, but it's a drive, about 30 minutes. I'll call them and see. They are the range I took the CHL class, women only, so I would assume they would be more sensitive. I haven't been in a few months, but if I explain, I hope they will accomodate.
longtooth wrote:Ask them if they have a CHL & that is a good ID verifying Back ground check.
Depending on where you live in Mongomery county & where a buyer lives, my private range may be an option & would be glad to be there for both parties. Dotn know how far you will be interested in driving/
Thank you for the offer. If my usual range won't help, I might send you an PM. I am in The Woodlands.
5/29/2014 - CHL received!

Return to “Ladies”