In-person carry counseling in Houston?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 1

In-person carry counseling in Houston?

Post by RHenriksen »

My girlfriend just passed her CHL class yesterday at PSC ( :hurry: ), and while we've got a little while to wait for plastic, it's not too soon to start thinking about HOW to carry.

I'm glad Charles mentioned several times during class the risks of purse carry; however, I know she's going to struggle with an alternative (ie, on-body) carry method that won't violate her fashion sense.

*I* can't advise her on that, obviously :smilelol5: . Compounding the challenge is that she's a tiny thing: 5'6" and 103#, 24" waist. She likes her M&P Shield a lot, but can't imagine any carry method that would work for her. Doesn't help that she HATES denim, and I don't think I'm ever seen her wear a belt.

What would be ideal is if I can introduce her to a female instructor somewhere around Houston who could walk her through a few options for on-body carry. Any suggestions on someone who has a box o' (female) holsters who could spend some time w. her on this subject?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

The Wall

Re: In-person carry counseling in Houston?

Post by The Wall »

Although my wife doesn't carry often, she does carry when out jogging and riding her bike. She uses a fanny pack specifically designed for concealed carry. It holds the S&W 642 nicely. She also has a XD9 subcompact. I would like her to carry more often. She can't carry where she works so that's the main reason she doesn't carry all the time. (hospital) One of her favorite guns to shoot is my S&W 586. Way too big for her to carry of course.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

I'm not a woman either, but I've seen these videos recommended as a good primer for women's holster options. Not all are CCW/holster related, but a good number of them are.

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Hopefully some of the ladies on the forum will answer. They may be tied up hunting eggs or being pampered by their husbands and kids...

In the mean time, she may want to look into something like the tacti-pac fusion. I use it when wearing shorts (even workout gear). I know there are other types of shirts and shorts made for concelaed carry but I don't have experience with any of them.

Good luck.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

Tell her to go to some of the websites directed toward females. Girl and a Gun. Well Armed Woman. Those are two I know my wife follows. They will have good ideas. My wife has a Kangaroo Carry that she rarely uses (never has gotten used to it and how to get to her gun - I love mine), Flash Bang bra holster, sticky holsters, Alien Gear IWB holster and an OWB holster when doing certain training.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

For on body carry, men or women, the wardrobe will have to change. Slightly for some and a little more drastically for others. FWIW, I also did not wear a belt unless in a suit prior to having a CHL.

I hope she finds a solution that suits her.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I've seen Cornered Cat recommended many times for women.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

hang on, let me get some links and put something together. Back in a bit....honestly, unless she is use to wearing things skin tight she won't need to change things up too much
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

you’re saying she hates denim, I don’t know if that means that she wears dresses/skirts, or if she wears leggings and yoga pants….so I’ll recommend a variety of sites, skipping my favorite holster for jeans.

there is the Can Can series, the hip hugger could work great with a skirt or anything with a waist. The draw would be at the waist.
They also have a nice garter, that would work with a dress. The draw would be from below.
http://www.cancanconcealment.com/

The UnderTech Concealment has several different options. I have thought that the shorts would work under a skirt. The draw would be at the waist
http://undertechunderwear.com/

Dene Adams has great corset holsters. From the pictures the carry looks higher than the Can Can, so do some looking online, check youtube videos and such to compare.
http://www.deneadams.com/

these are the top 3
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Ladies”