LadiesWhat's the best home security weapon

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
J.hook
Posts in topic: 2

LadiesWhat's the best home security weapon

Post by J.hook »

:patriot: My daughter is living on her own with kids. I want my child and grandkids protected. My daughter has gone to the range with me several times. She has used my Glock 19 and 34 with no issues. She has shot trap with my 12 gauges.
SO, my question is: Christmas is around the corner, what weapon is the best for home security?
Thanks, John

Jago668
Posts in topic: 3

Re: LadiesWhat's the best home security weapon

Post by Jago668 »

Pistol would let her more easily open doors, or corral kids. I prefer a long gun, but I don't have to mess with kids either. Then either electronic hearing protection so she doesn't go deaf shooting it indoors. Suppressor would do as well, but that's extra paperwork, and more money. I just drape my earmuffs over the stock and have it propped up next to the bed. Then a light on either the pistol or a small handheld depending on what ya'lls thoughts on that. If you go long gun instead, definitely a light on it.
NRA Benefactor Member

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Wall »

The children should be the main consideration of course. Having the gun where you can get to it quickly and the kids can't get to it at all would be important. That being said, a pistol or a coach gun would be my choices. A pistol in a quick access safe perhaps.

JagsfanNtexas

Post by JagsfanNtexas »

Depends on a lot of factors, There is no gun out there that's best for home protection, but there is a gun out there that is best for the person for which it's intended for, and what they are comfortable with using. Sounds like she was able to shoot the Glock 19 pretty well and that would be an excellent place to start off.

I recently took a beginners to handguns class in DFW with my wife in preparation for her upcoming CHL class. It consisted of 1.5 hours of class time and 1.5 hours of range time. While on the range, we were able to shoot 15 different pistols of 4 different calibers and all different sizes. I'm a Glock guy, but my wife found that she really like the XD-S. Finding a class like this before Christmas could be a great way to find what she likes while also teaching handgun basics like safety, storage, aiming, hand placement, etc.

Topic author
J.hook

Post by J.hook »

The Wall wrote:The children should be the main consideration of course. Having the gun where you can get to it quickly and the kids can't get to it at all would be important. That being said, a pistol or a coach gun would be my choices. A pistol in a quick access safe perhaps.
Coach Gun?

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

J.hook wrote:
The Wall wrote:The children should be the main consideration of course. Having the gun where you can get to it quickly and the kids can't get to it at all would be important. That being said, a pistol or a coach gun would be my choices. A pistol in a quick access safe perhaps.
Coach Gun?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_gun

And welcome to the forum! I hope you find lots of good info to help you here, in this situation and with CHL in general.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

I'd get her a semi automatic tactical shotgun.

dlh

Post by dlh »

I agree with Mongoose. Having kids in the house complicates things of course.

I keep my Mossberg 930 ready at hand with the safety off but no round in the chamber--just rack the charging handle and the bad guys will have a very bad night.

This is an issue that we can argue until the cows come home as we say in Texas. Be well-prepared and train with whatever you use.

dlh
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

A 30-40lb 4 legged alarm system would be a good accessory as well. Get her whatever firearm she is comfortable with.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Jago668
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jago668 »

jason812 wrote:A 30-40lb 4 legged alarm system would be a good accessory as well. Get her whatever firearm she is comfortable with.
Get her one of these she can ride it into battle...er home defense.

NRA Benefactor Member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Jago668 wrote:
jason812 wrote:A 30-40lb 4 legged alarm system would be a good accessory as well. Get her whatever firearm she is comfortable with.
Get her one of these she can ride it into battle...er home defense.

I said 30-40 lbs not 340lbs :lol: I would hate to have to feed or mow the yard for that guy.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Ask her what she prefers.

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

My wife seriously suggest going with a handgun that she likes. A shotgun is great and all, but not if you have to carry a toddler. A handgun you can put in a holster, a shotgun you either put down or sling over your shoulder. A handgun you can have in a small quick access safe, a shotgun must have a large, generally clanky safe. If you must consider the kids, go with a handgun.

My wife is a big Springfield fan, but doesn't quite like the XD(S) series like I do, but favors the G42/43. A handgun with a few holster is both of our suggestions.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If she likes the XD, then that's the gun for her, at least for now. Get her a holster and belt so it can be on her side all the time, unless she's in bed. Then it should go into a strong box on her night stand with the finger groves so she can quickly enter the combination in the dark.

I know some people will question having it in a holster all the time. It's more of a safety issue than a readiness issue. Keeping the gun safely secured from unauthorized access by the kids or others is a full-time job. When it's on her side, she always knows where it is. The odds of her needing it are slim, but if she does, then there may not be time to get to another location. This problem is compounded with kids present.

Chas.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I agree with the responses mentioning a handgun carried on-body. This helps solve two problems -- ready access and security -- while it is being worn.

Consider also classes / training opportunities with lady instructors in running the gun as well as concealed carry. Keep in mind she may need a sitter to keep the kids while she is training (remove obstacles to training wherever you can). Additionally, she needs to consider her own personal protection plan -- thinking over risks and how to mitigate them at home and away from the home. Having a gun (even on you) isn't a magic talisman that works to keep you safe.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “Ladies”