MarieClaire: Women and Guns articles

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

MarieClaire: Women and Guns articles

Post by n5wd »

The new issue of MarieClaire has a very interesting set of articles available on its web site:

http://www.marieclaire.com/politics/a18 ... -and-guns/#

The articles go into various aspects of gun ownership and usage from a woman's perspective (but guys, you should read it too, especially if you've a woman in your life who you wish to use/carry or merely accept your interest in guns).

The magazine partnered with the Harvard Injury Control Research Center for some statistical references... including an interesting section about "what women fear" - surprise, their fears are pretty much the same as the guys! Both Hilary and Carly got to pen a few paragraphs about why they think the way they do... there's a series of vignettes about "the last time I saw her", first-person accounts of women who have lost sisters, daughters and/or mothers to mass shootings... some words about the "Rise of the Girl Gang"... an interesting piece about how the NRA is re branding with emphasis on women... a good article about "What Happened When I Tried to Buy a Gun" (she wasn't successful - everyone did what they were supposed to do!).... an article by a rape victim "I Wish I Had A Gun That Night" that details how it's all well and good for women to be able to carry, except when their college says they can't... and a great video story about a 16 year competition shooter Katie Francis, plus more.

Gun folks will like some of the articles and not some others, but in general, I thought the whole package of articles was worthwhile reading/viewing.

I hope the rest of you find something of value in the series. Congrats to the editors/staff at MarieClaire for a job well done.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

RoyGBiv

Re: MarieClaire: Women and Guns articles

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks for posting!!!

Bookmarked for later.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Thanks for posting this. While there was still a lot of misinformation listed by the left, at least they made an attempt to show other prospective. I did enjoy reading the problems the woman from NY had trying to buy a gun out of state.

:tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Interesting set of articles. Though there are points presented on both sides of the issue, the fallbacks seem to be statistics put out by the Violence Policy Center and similar partisan "gun-control" focused groups. I also seriously doubt the validity of the overall ownership rate statistics used, and not solely because of their sources. What strikes me most is that (if even some of their statistics / info-graphics are to be believed) I know and choose to associate with truly exceptional, and empowered, women.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

it's not a bad group of articles. I'm not convinced it's possible to get a "nationally representative sample" with an online poll. And I'm not sure they have nearly enough gun owning women but overall it's not a bad group of articles.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

...Dilly-bar-headed, acrylic-nail wearing idiots.
Gotta luv a little daily dose of Dana.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

AndyC wrote:

Great video!! I wish more women could understand that when the left talks about equal rights for women, they really try to do everything within their power to weaken their true right of self defense. The statement that Sam Colt made everyone equal, has even more meaning for women, they may never be as physically strong as a man, but when exercising their 2A right, they will never have to be made to feel like they are unequal in any way.

Thanks for posting this. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Ladies”