How to report improper §30.06 signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Re: How to report improper §30.06 signs

Post by mojo84 »

Abraham, there is a procedure with timelines involved. Here is some good info. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79315

The offending entity is required to be notified first and given time to rectify before a legitimate complaint made to the AG.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

mojo84,

Thanks!

jamminbutter
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jamminbutter »

If the property is owned by a city should the original notification go to the person immediately over the property in question or straight to the City Manager's office?

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

stash wrote:mojo - Must have misunderstood what they said. Must have been file complaint with city today, wait 15 days and if nothing happens file complaint with Ag.

I don't know if the guy in the story knows what he is doing or not, but per SB 273, a citizen may give notice of a sign violation to the responsible governmental entity, and if the entity does not correct the problem within three days, then the citizen may make a complaint to the Texas AG, including a copy of his notice and noting the failure of the entity to comply with the law. The AG, if he decides to act, he must investigate, deterimine if there is a violation, and if so propose a penalty ($$$) and give the entity 15 days to correct the situation. If the entity still does not correct the violation, then the AG may sue to collect the penalty.

Mr. Cotton gives detailed examples of how to do the notice and provide evidence of non-compliance at the link to the Texas Firearms Coalition provided above.

Here is the enrolled version (sent to and signed by Governor) SB 273 text: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 00273F.htm
USAF 1982-2005

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 9

Post by locke_n_load »

jamminbutter wrote:If the property is owned by a city should the original notification go to the person immediately over the property in question or straight to the City Manager's office?
Why not just give notification to both?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Since the law does not give specific guidance on what should be submitted, is there any reason why we couldn't use our own letters/emails to make the notices, instead of what's on the TFC website?
I feel that getting a notary involved seems time consuming, when verifying if the person making the complaint is a citizen of Texas or CHL holder is not of much importance in regards to a complaint.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

locke_n_load wrote:Since the law does not give specific guidance on what should be submitted, is there any reason why we couldn't use our own letters/emails to make the notices, instead of what's on the TFC website?
I feel that getting a notary involved seems time consuming, when verifying if the person making the complaint is a citizen of Texas or CHL holder is not of much importance in regards to a complaint.
Of course you can do it yourself, but consider you are entering a specialized form of combat, the legal knife fight. Mr. Cotton has some expertise and insight into that arena. I'd go with what he suggests.
USAF 1982-2005

puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by puma guy »

I was expecting to go to the deer lease today, but one of our hunting partners had to cancel. No other plans, especially since it rained so I decided to take a tour with my camera to photograph all the unenforceable 30.06 signs posted in Pasadena, TX. Lo and Behold - they're gone from all the places I been to so far. School Admin buildings and parking lots, School Parking lots, stadiums and ball parks, city barn parking lot. :anamatedbanana Tells me they knew they were wrong in putting them up in the first place. Irksome! I was trying to decide whether to send forms with locations and pictures en-mass to the responsible entities or do them individually. No longer have to decide! Again "dancing banana" LOL I'm still be watching for any that are still posted. Now to see if the Pasadena Convention Center will be posted during gun shows.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

locke_n_load wrote:Since the law does not give specific guidance on what should be submitted, is there any reason why we couldn't use our own letters/emails to make the notices, instead of what's on the TFC website?
As you say, you can use any method you wish. The purpose of the affidavit is, in part, to prove-up the photographs. The notice letter and complaint letters are just suggestions, but they cover critical information. The AG's office is likely to be buried in complaints and any that do not cover all required steps are not going to be investigated.

Chas.

bigity
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bigity »

Rex B wrote:StartleGram reports the Fort Worth Zoo has now got it'self designated as a 'day care center" so they can continue to bar CHLs.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/polit ... 47301.html

I sure hope they have to defend that in front of the AG. :mad5

On the plus side, the same article says Tarrant County is being proactive about finding incorrect signs and making them right. They mention the sign at the entrance to the Administration building, which sign has irked me for many years.
Did anyone go to the zoo yesterday and see if it was still posted? Haven't seen any news on this since the whole 'day care' thing.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

bigity wrote:
Rex B wrote:StartleGram reports the Fort Worth Zoo has now got it'self designated as a 'day care center" so they can continue to bar CHLs.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/polit ... 47301.html

I sure hope they have to defend that in front of the AG. :mad5

On the plus side, the same article says Tarrant County is being proactive about finding incorrect signs and making them right. They mention the sign at the entrance to the Administration building, which sign has irked me for many years.
Did anyone go to the zoo yesterday and see if it was still posted? Haven't seen any news on this since the whole 'day care' thing.

I went by yesterday and here is the sign that is now posted. Funny how they want to save money by combining 30.06 and 30.07 into one sign. I will be filing my own notification of non-compliance in the next couple of days.

I apologize for the small size of the photo.
Fort Worht Zoo 30.06-30.07A.jpg

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Awww, that's cute! You'd think they could afford two signs.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ScottDLS »

Taypo wrote:Awww, that's cute! You'd think they could afford two signs.
If they don't have them down by January 1, I think I will open carry there. Then I'll be the "TEST CASE" . :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

ScottDLS wrote:
If they don't have them down by January 1, I think I will open carry there. Then I'll be the "TEST CASE" . :shock:
You are a brave soul and I wish you all the luck in the world.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

ScottDLS wrote:
I'll donate $20 towards your case.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”