Longhorn Steakhouse Common Sense Policy on Guns

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
larryeliz
Posts in topic: 2

Longhorn Steakhouse Common Sense Policy on Guns

Post by larryeliz »

We dined at the Longhorn Steakhouse in (south) McAllen last night. As we approached the entrance of the restaurant I was eager to see if there had been any change in their signage as it related to guns. Longhorn has always had the "unlicensed possession of a handgun is not allowed" sign (not sure of the exact verbiage). I took the opportunity to speak with the manager-on-duty (David) to discuss their position on handguns concealed and/or open carry--I was going to speak with him regardless of whether there had been a change or not.

He said that the restaurant corporation willfully prepared for the law change on January 1. If I understood the manager correctly, he stated that their position on the change in the law was that they were not going to change their stance on the topic (licenced carry allowed). They were, however, going to be concerned if they encountered an individual open carrying while at the bar. Again, if I understood him correctly, they were going to ask that individual to refrain from drinking if he was going to open carry. He said, to date, they have only seen one handgun and it was on a concealed carrier whose jacket opened briefly revealing the gun.

He indicated that they (restaurant managers) have been trained on how to address the issue with an open carry patron who was drinking. I know as a LTC holder I, personally, refrain from drinking alcohol when I carry (which is 98% of the time) so this is not an issue for me.

Amidst all the negative talk about open carry, I was glad to see a business organization that was not going to "run scared" and ban the carry of a handgun on their premises. As a group, we should support these business AND let the management know that we appreciate their position. I also went online to Longhorn's website and thanked them for their position.

My @.02 worth on the matter!! Hats off to Longhorn Steakhouse(s).

Larry

RonW956
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Longhorn Steakhouse Common Sense Policy on Guns

Post by RonW956 »

I too also live in the RGV and the general concensous I get from everyone is, they're not going to change their policy. I've open carried into bass pro shop, Academy, Dicks sporting good's, Walgreen's, CVS, Target, Various small retail stores, Rudy's BBQ, Dillard's, Nobody cared... Nobody said a word or even so much as a reaction. I've stood in line at the checkout with my stainless Kahr K9 in a leather deSantis OWB holster with mom's grandma's & kid's right behind me... nobody care's. I've spoken to a few mgr's, namely Rudy's BBQ & Chick Fil A's.... They don't mind at all...

After watching this Brownsville Town Hall meeting regarding open carry... I'm not as nervous about OC'ing....

Be free to share this video... It contain's very good info on what it takes to even obtain a license... Many people I've spoken too, were unaware of the requirements and thought it was easier to get a CHL. As far as someone OC'ing at a bar drinking.... unless they want to lose their license, tell the longhorn mgr that he will probably never see that happen as 99.99% of LTC holder's are good responsible gun owners.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Knowing this will help me decide where to dine when I travel, will google Longhorn Steakhouse to find the locations and will most definitely frequent this establishment. Thanks for the post!
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Thanks for the info. BTW, the sign you refer to is the TABC "Blue" sign, required by law by any place that sells alcohol, regardless of their personal position on firearms.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

It's nice to see a business managed with common sense.
BTW, I also like the food and service at Longhorn Steakhouse. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

If I remember correctly, it was some of the Valley representatives and senators that put up the most argument against is as they seemed to be of the opinion their constituents couldn't handle open carry properly. Seems they too were wrong.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Very cool attitude by the steak house. I can also see why they don't want anyone open carrying sitting at the bar. Although it's not illegal to drink while you are carrying it just looks bad and maybe a tad irresponsible to be sitting on a bar stool with your gun hanging out. Now I go out to restaurants on average two to three times a month. None of them have posted either sign as of my last visit. I always sit in a booth or at a table. I also usually have a nice imported beer or cocktail with my meal. If I do go out with the intention of having several drinks, I don't drive, and I don't carry. Losing your drivers license or LTC is not worth it for many reasons. Much cheaper to take a cab or have designated driver. And on a side note. Don't think you're okay drinking as long as you leave your gun in your vehicle. Leave it at home. If you're too drunk to drive you're too drunk to carry a gun. I know we all know this, but just thought I'd mention it. :cheers2:

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

larryeliz wrote:We dined at the Longhorn Steakhouse in (south) McAllen last night. As we approached the entrance of the restaurant I was eager to see if there had been any change in their signage as it related to guns. Longhorn has always had the "unlicensed possession of a handgun is not allowed" sign (not sure of the exact verbiage). I took the opportunity to speak with the manager-on-duty (David) to discuss their position on handguns concealed and/or open carry--I was going to speak with him regardless of whether there had been a change or not.

He said that the restaurant corporation willfully prepared for the law change on January 1. If I understood the manager correctly, he stated that their position on the change in the law was that they were not going to change their stance on the topic (licenced carry allowed). They were, however, going to be concerned if they encountered an individual open carrying while at the bar. Again, if I understood him correctly, they were going to ask that individual to refrain from drinking if he was going to open carry. He said, to date, they have only seen one handgun and it was on a concealed carrier whose jacket opened briefly revealing the gun.

He indicated that they (restaurant managers) have been trained on how to address the issue with an open carry patron who was drinking. I know as a LTC holder I, personally, refrain from drinking alcohol when I carry (which is 98% of the time) so this is not an issue for me.

Amidst all the negative talk about open carry, I was glad to see a business organization that was not going to "run scared" and ban the carry of a handgun on their premises. As a group, we should support these business AND let the management know that we appreciate their position. I also went online to Longhorn's website and thanked them for their position.

My @.02 worth on the matter!! Hats off to Longhorn Steakhouse(s).

Larry

Longhorn Steakhouse managers will be terminated for posting any signs except the TABC signs, they are a Darden restaurant and managers are not allowed to post signs. The corporate office has a policy of following the law at the least required level to mean they do what the law makes them do and believes in the clients right to do what the law allows. Darden includes Olive garden, longhorn steak house, Bahama Breeze, Seasons 52, Capital Grille, Eddie V's and the yard house brand names, you will not find them posted and if you do call corporate and the sign will come down and the management team will be looking for new jobs

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

JP171 wrote: Longhorn Steakhouse managers will be terminated for posting any signs except the TABC signs, they are a Darden restaurant and managers are not allowed to post signs. The corporate office has a policy of following the law at the least required level to mean they do what the law makes them do and believes in the clients right to do what the law allows. Darden includes Olive garden, longhorn steak house, Bahama Breeze, Seasons 52, Capital Grille, Eddie V's and the yard house brand names, you will not find them posted and if you do call corporate and the sign will come down and the management team will be looking for new jobs
Good information. Thanks JP171 for sharing!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

bortaz
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bortaz »

Saltgrass in McAllen apparently has a similar policy. I open carried my Glock 19 there one evening after work, and had no issues. The manager stood right beside me, carrying on a conversation with my wife and I...never even glanced at my gun.

chandler583

Post by chandler583 »

It's good to know there's restaurants out there with this position. Definitely not the "common sense" gun position that the other side tries to put out there.
10/17/12 Docs Mailed
11/29/12 Plastic in Hand

bear94

Post by bear94 »

I ran into my first 30.06/07 sign here in McAllen today at the Republic of the Rio Grande. Needless to say, I won't be going there anymore until those signs come down.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

bear94 wrote:I ran into my first 30.06/07 sign here in McAllen today at the Republic of the Rio Grande. Needless to say, I won't be going there anymore until those signs come down.
I popped in the other day to look at the signs and add them to the database at texas3006.com. Looked to me like the 30.06 sign had been up for a long time. The 30.07 of course is new.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

How's good is the food at Longhorn Steakhouse?

If it's high quality great, but if on par with "The Outback Steakhouse" I'll pass as bland old shoe leather is hard to chew...

Thanks!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”