30.06 and 30.07 posted - at elementary schools?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pig Renter
Posts in topic: 1

30.06 and 30.07 posted - at elementary schools?

Post by Pig Renter »

Many of the school campuses (and probably all) in the city I live in have 30.06/07 signs posted at the gates and building entry ways. These are public schools in a fairly large school district.

I thought this was odd. Or is this common practice? It just seemed to me the signs were kind of redundant and unnecessary (legally). Why do they post these signs when, by state law, it is already illegal for a person with a license to carry inside schools?

I'm just curious by nature and like to understand the reasoning behind things. Do they post these signs out of ignorance because they think they need to in order to legally ban concealed/open carry? Or do they legally have to post these even though they are a school? Or maybe they are posting them sort of as "an extra measure", so to speak, in order to quash any possible lingering assumptions a license holder might have about the legality of carrying on campus?

And as a side note, not that I care to or I ever would, but theoretically, since these signs are invalid as far as their legal intentions go, what would happen if they were challenged legally? It would make no sense to do so because the restrictions would still exist, but would it be a legitimate challenge due to the conflict in statues and so on?

Keith B

Re: 30.06 and 30.07 posted - at elementary schools?

Post by Keith B »

Because a school is listed as a prohibited place in 46.03, then they can post 30.06/30.07 signs, even though they are not really needed. They just can't try to enforce them on anything other than the legally defined 'premises' which is a building or portion of a building.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

Not necessary. Carry by a LTC holder is already an offense under 46.03 (a) (1).
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

rotor

Post by rotor »

When you say gates do you mean like to the parking lot? I don't think the parking lots would be off limit unless there was a school activity going on in them. The buildings technically don't need to be posted as they are really off limits to all firearms, not just handguns held by LTC holders.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

koine2002 wrote:I sub a lot for Dallas ISD--mostly high school with a bit of middle school. Every school is posted with both signs. I asked an SRO about it. She said that while it is statutorily impermissible to carry past the doors, it's an extra reminder in case someone might've forgotten about the law or if they forgot their gun is on them.

For the record, while I wouldn't be breaking any laws for having my gun in my car, it is a violation of the employment agreement and is therefore a firable offense. The parking lot law exempts school districts. I only sub at schools that I know and where there is off-campus parking within a block of campus. It's easier to get out of there at dismissal, anyway.
If post on-building, then as SRO said, they are just reminder and not needed. If they are posted at the entrance of the parking lot, they are not enforceable if the firearm carried (or left in the car) on the parking lot. End of Story.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Our school district posts both, in all their full legal size glory. Not because they have to, but as a reminder as has already been posted.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

How many people are getting busted with guns at airport security?

30.ought signs on schools are for the benefit of those same folks.

:roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

RoyGBiv wrote:How many people are getting busted with guns at airport security?

30.ought signs on schools are for the benefit of those same folks.

:roll:
So it's for the politicians..... "rlol"
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

Uh how do you forget your carrying a gun? Inquiring minds wanna know
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

ELB

Post by ELB »

crazy2medic wrote:Uh how do you forget your carrying a gun? Inquiring minds wanna know
When you've reached the mindset that carrying daily and everywhere you go is normal, wearing a handgun is like carrying your wallet, and it is the "no carry" places that are weird. It's there for when you need it, and otherwise not in the conscience mind. More than once I've had a sudden thrill when I realized I couldn't tell if I had my gun on or not (I did) -- because it's presence was so familiar, I could not feel it any more.
USAF 1982-2005

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

ELB wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:Uh how do you forget your carrying a gun? Inquiring minds wanna know
When you've reached the mindset that carrying daily and everywhere you go is normal, wearing a handgun is like carrying your wallet, and it is the "no carry" places that are weird. It's there for when you need it, and otherwise not in the conscience mind. More than once I've had a sudden thrill when I realized I couldn't tell if I had my gun on or not (I did) -- because it's presence was so familiar, I could not feel it any more.
:iagree:
After years of carrying, It's like your watch. You are not always aware of it, but you are when you need it.
It's like:
I'm more aware of not having it on when I drive somewhere and see my wrist, & notice/become aware >> "hey, I forgot my watch" than I am *always* aware that I am wearing my watch.

And yep, I hate to admit it, but I've ended up at the hardware store twice this year at the checkout stand, with 2 guns and no wallet, I had to run home and get my wallet I'd leave in my "church pants" from the day before. I'd move my guns to my Monday Pants and forget to move the wallet.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

I carry a full size 1911 double stack, just can't ever envision not knowing it's there.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

treeman

Post by treeman »

Sometimes I have to do a quick check to make sure my Shield is in place. I do about everything with it on and sometimes momentarly forget. Our schools are not posted other than a sign at each parking lot entrance that says, "Attention - for the protection of our students some of the staff are allowed to carry concealed weapons." ;-)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”