Are CHL holder’s Scrutinized more than non license holders?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wo5m
Posts in topic: 2

Are CHL holder’s Scrutinized more than non license holders?

Post by wo5m »

As we all know CHL holders are required to notify an officer in a standard traffic stop that they are packing. However after reading the new newest version of the traveling law I discovered people who are traveling do not. It it me or does this not very fair to the CHL group who are statistically less likely to commit a crime.

wo5m

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Are CHL holder’s Scrutinized more than non license holde

Post by txinvestigator »

wo5m wrote:As we all know CHL holders are required to notify an officer in a standard traffic stop that they are packing. However after reading the new newest version of the traveling law I discovered people who are traveling do not. It it me or does this not very fair to the CHL group who are statistically less likely to commit a crime.

wo5m
Life is not fair. Why would you object to telling a LEO who asks for your ID (and that law is not just for traffic stops, in fact, it does not even mention traffic stops) that you are armed?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

seamusTX

Re: Are CHL holders Scrutinized more than non license holder

Post by seamusTX »

wo5m wrote:It it me or does this not very fair to the CHL group ...
It's you. :smile:

The requirement for CHL holders to identify was politically necessary when the law was passed, 12 years ago.

Perhaps it could be repealed now, but I don't see it as an issue.

I wonder, if police officers start asking non-CHL drivers if they have a weapon in the car, and the driver says, "I'd rather not answer that question," what will happen?

- Jim

bauerdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bauerdj »

I wonder if, from a legal standpoint, if you could NOT show your CHL based on carrying under the car carry law. I can't think of any reason anyone would want to do this unless it was because they had forgotten their CHL at home but it is an interesting legal question.

Dave B.

alphonso

Post by alphonso »

Yes, life is not fair. Here is a hypothetical (just for fun):

A CHL holder is going to travel far, but remain in Texas. He leaves his CHL at home and keeps a pistol in the car under the general authority granted him by the Texas travel rules. He gets stopped and asked for ID.

1) Is he in violation for not having his CHL with him?
2) Is he required to inform the officer that he has a gun?

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

NO!
GC §411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
This law does not mention "under the authority" or anything like that. IMO, you could be at home and it would still apply.

Playing games at traffic stops is not on my to-do list. The police will find out you have a CHL if they run your driver license.

- Jim

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

seamusTX wrote:NO!
GC §411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
This law does not mention "under the authority" or anything like that. IMO, you could be at home and it would still apply.

Playing games at traffic stops is not on my to-do list. The police will find out you have a CHL if they run your driver license.

- Jim
Agreed. Several places the law states, "while carrying under authority of (CHL Law). "

In this section it does not, telling me that it matters not if you are carrying under authority of the CHL, if you are a license holder, you must display.

Hopefully next session the Legislators can clean some of that up.
*CHL Instructor*

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

- Jim
Personaly I think its a pretty well thought out rule. Showing the CHL is a lot more tactful than stating " I got me a big ole gun officer." at a traffic stop. I've heard stories of officers over reacting, but most of them are of the earlier years when some LEOs didn't know what think of all this CHL business.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

txinvestigator wrote: In this section it does not, telling me that it matters not if you are carrying under authority of the CHL, if you are a license holder, you must display.

Why? does it really matter?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Liberty wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: In this section it does not, telling me that it matters not if you are carrying under authority of the CHL, if you are a license holder, you must display.

Just to be consistant, I guess.
*CHL Instructor*

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

txinvestigator wrote:
Liberty wrote:

Just to be consistant, I guess.
The other possibility would be to change the law so anyone carrying would have to inform the officer when asked for ID. That would be consistant too.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I always looked at it as a reduntant courtesy to the officers...They'll find out anyway, and confirm everything is hunky-dory...

It would not bother me in the slightest if requirement were to go away...Knowing me, I'd forget and keep on notifying, simply by handing them the license when I get stopped...

But if it did come up for review to remove that requirement, the opposition would scream "blood in the streets" again... :roll:

I just don't see this to be that big a deal...

I don't want to be treated any different when I get stopped...Nor do I consider the license to be a free walk on anything...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

Pre CHL, when I was stopped for a traffic violation, the officer always asked if I had a firearm in the vehicle.

Now that I present CHL with the license, they don't have to ask.

Re-reading the above it looks like I get stopped a lot. Actually only twice in the last 8 years. A bit more often prior to that.
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

OnTexasTime

Post by OnTexasTime »

I am going to continue to show my license if and when stopped.

Officers I know tell me they are trained to assume everyone has a gun when making a stop. They have also said that when someone hands them a CHL they can assume certain things just with that information. They know what the background check was to get the license.

I would think handing over the CHL would be in the best interest of eveybody.

If you have an interest in Civil War History I recommend you check out:

http://www.pearcecollections.us/civilwar.php

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

- Jim

First let me state that I have no issue with declaring CHL status. Even if I didn't have a CHL I would let him know that I had a firearm in the car. When I lived in LA I had to do this on several occasions without incident. I think it makes the LEO more comfortable and the last thing I want is a nervous LEO. They have a hard enough job as it is. But, just for arguments sake what is the legal defintion of "on or about the license holder's person"? Especially as it relates to having a weapon in the center console or similarly hidden.
Last edited by ScubaSigGuy on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”