Re: Gun insurance programs

Post by MechAg94 »

nm

Topic author
Bodeneth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bodeneth »

Many times in my life Ive found myself in situations whereas I am in a predicament I wasnt expecting, or ever even heard of. In every case, I was not prepared, either emotionally or financially to handle the problem without it costing me more than I was physically able to cough up at the moment. Its always that weird scenario you didnt remotely expect or prepare for that gets ya.

I agree that in most cases we see on the news or hear about via the grapevine, when a chl person had to use their weapon while out in public, the police or DA ends up saying it was justified, or even that the shooter was a hero. But who knows what went on behind the scenes before the shooter was released. For all we know the poor guy was held for questioning for 3 days, and was terrified while being harranged by numerous intimidating police officers who seemed dead set on finding evidence that he did something wrong, or did their best to trip him up so he would say something they could use against him. They dont always tell you that at a certain point, all you have to say is...may I go home now, and they must, by law, cut you loose.

Even tho I am a gentle hearted law abiding citizen who would only use my weapon if absolutely necessary, for some reason I always seem to be the guy who either crosses paths with insane people or find myself in crazy situations. I dunno, maybe its karma from a past life. Regardless, as soon as I got my LTC, I felt like it would be very wise to have a backup plan in the event one of those crazy situations happened to me. Lawyers cost thousands of dollars to hire, and I dont have thousands of dollars lying around, nor would I want to have to get a second mortgage on my home just to get an attorney to come represent me and help me preserve my rights. Therefore it seems like a very reasonable thing to spend less than .40 cents a day to avoid having my entire world collapse around me in the event one of those crazy situations happen to me while I am carrying. You never know when it might happen. Even tho the odds are very low, it can happen.

Personally, I got my LTC not only because it is my right to be able to defend myself in general, but also because in my line of work I almost daily (or nightly) find myself in very shady or precarious locations in dreadful high crime parts of town. Altho I could still be victimized, I find that I am better prepared to deal with danger in the event a problem arises. Since I am in bad situations daily, acquiring an inexpensive pre paid legal type of backup feels like a no brainer to me.

I apologize for naming this thread gun insurance. At the time I made the OP I had ten other things on my mind and that was the only thing I could think of to name it at the moment. No, I know it is not "insurance". Sorry for my mistake. Lastly, I did do a search about the topic, but evidently I failed to use the proper key words to find something about this subject. I rekkin my brain doesnt work all that splendidly when I am not properly rested and fully alert.
My Springfield Armory XD 45 Mod 2 with a 3.3in barrel rides around in an Aliengear IWB 3.0, mounted on a Bigfoot / Aliengear gunbelt.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MechAg94 »

I think calling it insurance at some point becomes like calling a magazine a clip. I know there are legal reasons for the terms, but don't carry it too far. The main part of that I have heard is whether the group you sign up with will directly line and up and pay a lawyer to represent you or whether you have to pay for all that yourself and get reimbursed later. :txflag:

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

WildBill wrote:
Abraham wrote:How many of you that have pre-paid legal ..., (I'm not going to call it insurance) are certain of all costs that may accrue that ISN'T covered?

Are you certain you're getting a good deal or a mystery that will only reveal itself only if you have to use it?

Read the fine print and if you can't/don't understand it, consider getting it reviewed by an unbiased legal expert.

You may find you're paying a huge premium for little coverage...
:iagree: It is NOT insurance. The contract states that it is not insurance.
I wish people would stop calling it that.
When I checked into it the company would not provide a copy of the contract until I signed up for the service.
I thought that was very strange coming from a group of lawyers.
Which company are you talking about? I went to the website of NRACarryGuard today. It is being advertised on TV by Dana Lash. Seems like they reimburse for expenses more than provide a lawyer and from what I can tell they don't pay if you are "found guilty". What we need is a Consumer Reports type evaluation of these services. I don't think anybody can really tell which services are worthwhile (if any are).

dlh

Post by dlh »

I will not give you advice. However, I will tell you what I do. I spend my money on guns, ammo, and training. If you bought the coverage ask your company about "claims paid against claims made" IN TEXAS...Let me know what they say. :cool:
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

rotor wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Abraham wrote:How many of you that have pre-paid legal ..., (I'm not going to call it insurance) are certain of all costs that may accrue that ISN'T covered?

Are you certain you're getting a good deal or a mystery that will only reveal itself only if you have to use it?

Read the fine print and if you can't/don't understand it, consider getting it reviewed by an unbiased legal expert.

You may find you're paying a huge premium for little coverage...
:iagree: It is NOT insurance. The contract states that it is not insurance.
I wish people would stop calling it that.
When I checked into it the company would not provide a copy of the contract until I signed up for the service.
I thought that was very strange coming from a group of lawyers.
Which company are you talking about? I went to the website of NRACarryGuard today. It is being advertised on TV by Dana Lash. Seems like they reimburse for expenses more than provide a lawyer and from what I can tell they don't pay if you are "found guilty". What we need is a Consumer Reports type evaluation of these services. I don't think anybody can really tell which services are worthwhile (if any are).
Texas law will not allow anyone to purchase insurance for their intentional illegal acts. It's the same in every state. If you are found guilty, the insurance company cannot reimburse you, as a matter of law.

Chas.

Topic author
Bodeneth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bodeneth »

rotor wrote: Which company are you talking about? I went to the website of NRACarryGuard today. It is being advertised on TV by Dana Lash. Seems like they reimburse for expenses more than provide a lawyer and from what I can tell they don't pay if you are "found guilty". What we need is a Consumer Reports type evaluation of these services. I don't think anybody can really tell which services are worthwhile (if any are).
I signed up for [stop trying to avoid the word censor] Instead of mentioning dollar amounts etc, they say they will provide a trained and experienced attorney who specializes, or who is extremely well qualified to handle any criminal or civil gun related situations, and that all legal fees will be covered. I also paid the $3 extra to have the bail bond and expert witness coverage tacked on. They do mention that they will not defend you if your legal problem came about as the result of you using a gun while committing a crime.

[ To the moderator....when I changed the spelling of the company name to avoid the auto-censor, I only did it because in the paragraph in quotes in this comment the name of a different prepaid legal service was NOT censored. I simply assumed mine was censored by some sorta glitch. Obviously thats not the case since you once again removed what I wrote and barked at me, but left the other company name as is. It just seems kinda odd that THAT company can be mentioned by name, but the one I mentioned cannot. I was not trying to disrespect you or your website or violate some unwritten or unmentionable rule, I assure you. ]
Last edited by Bodeneth on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Springfield Armory XD 45 Mod 2 with a 3.3in barrel rides around in an Aliengear IWB 3.0, mounted on a Bigfoot / Aliengear gunbelt.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MechAg94 »

dlh wrote:I will not give you advice. However, I will tell you what I do. I spend my money on guns, ammo, and training. If you bought the coverage ask your company about "claims paid against claims made" IN TEXAS...Let me know what they say. :cool:
Exactly what do you think they will say? If it is not insurance, they aren't paying a "claim" anyway, just providing the lawyer at whatever rate they have negotiated. I think an add on covers some bail and witnesses for trial which may or may not be needed.

dlh

Post by dlh »

MechAg94 wrote:
dlh wrote:I will not give you advice. However, I will tell you what I do. I spend my money on guns, ammo, and training. If you bought the coverage ask your company about "claims paid against claims made" IN TEXAS...Let me know what they say. :cool:
Exactly what do you think they will say? If it is not insurance, they aren't paying a "claim" anyway, just providing the lawyer at whatever rate they have negotiated. I think an add on covers some bail and witnesses for trial which may or may not be needed.
It is one assessment of his risk. If they have not paid out any money in Texas for lawyers, bail bondsmen, etc. than that just shows it is a good deal for them and maybe not such as big a risk for him as he might think...
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”