Self review after pulling weapon - long post

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
priusron
Posts in topic: 2

Self review after pulling weapon - long post

Post by priusron »

I am in Plainview for a few months and I needed gas in my jeep.i want to United on the southwest side of town. A I approached there was a train holding up traffic. As I slowed I turned on my left signal. As I started my left turn, the vehicle in front of me started to turn with no signal. I stopped. He stopped. I started. He started. I stopped and waited for him. He went straight in the lot and I turned down the first lane to the gas pumps. I pulled up to the pump with a vehicle in front of me. As I got out at pulled my card out, this black vehicle pulled up and blocked me in. He rolled his window down and began yellin at me "You are lucky you are old or I would get out and beat you". After about three times I just told him that he needed to leave. He continued to cuss at me and I just continued to repeat that he needed to leave. He then suddenly jumped out of his vehicle. My M&P 45 appeared in my hand at low ready as I took a couple steps back. This was all without thinking about it. He walked to the other side of the pump and takes with a friend about something. He then got back into his vehicle. I noted his license number. I holstered my weapon but kept my hand on it as he only pulled around to the other end of the pumps. He said something and then left. My wife was already calling 911 and handed the phone to me. I relayed what had taken place and they said they were sending officers right over. As I began pumping my fuel, I also removed my DL and LTC from my wallet. The police were there in about 30 seconds. I again repeated what had happened. She looked and my I'd and handed it back. Never asked for phone number or what I was doing in Plainview. My address is in Livingston. They asked if I wanted to press charges. I stated no but would like him talked to. They said they had a good return on his plates and would handle it. I was the only white guy at this station amongst a lot of hispanics. At least three of them told me good job or that we needed more people like me.

Reflection: I remember drawing my weapon but I did not have to think about it. I know if he would have advanced I would have raised it and fired. Same if I had seen a weapon in his hand. I am disabled and not about to fight. I,stopped attempting to fuel my vehicle so as not to be distracted from this guy. Even when he got back into his vehicle I did not reholster until he pulled away and then kept my hand on my weapon until he departed the area. There was no criticism towards me from the witnesses or police for drawing my weapon. The police were very professional and did not even run the serial nu,bed on my weapon. I was not nervous or shaking either during or after the incident. I run scenarios in my mind frequently and recently on my brothers range in Washington and I just responded without having to think about it.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Self review after pulling weapon - long post

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I guess the only thing I would ask you.....and this is NOT a criticism, but rather to stimulate thought.....is this: upon reflection, do YOU think you went to guns too soon? If you're satisfied that you didn't draw until you felt it necessary (even if the reaction was subconscious), then I'd say you did alright. Nobody got shot. Nobody went to jail (that you know of), and everybody made it safely home.

The reason I asked the question was to stimulate you in your own mind about how confident you were that you did everything right. And the end of the day, it's your life on the line, and we're just armchair quarterbacks. But for whatever my opinion is worth, I think you did OK.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I may have done the same. I was approached by two men from opposite directions one late nite ( about 2 AM) in a Wal Mart parking lot. Fortunately, the act of simply placing my hand on my pistol ( while they were still at a safe distance) persuaded them that really didn't want to talk to me.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

It sounds like you did things just right. He had already told you what he wanted to do, "You are lucky you are old or I would get out and beat you".

At that point, he was trying to talk himself into actually doing it. His getting out of the car while still confronting you sure sounds like he had made his mind up to act. Your pulling your pistol was probably the only thing that could've diffused the situation.

Keeping good situational awareness until he left was a good idea too. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Your potential attacker was much closer to you than mine were. I think you made a wise choice to have your weapon at the ready.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I think the OP did everything correctly. He tried to diffuse the situation, without being threatening, The antagonist would not allow himself to calm down, and allow the situation to be diffused. He had made his intentions known, and then, exited the vehicle, which at that time, gave actual physical evidence, of his intent to carry out those threats.
The OP did not open fire, but further assessed the situation, and moved off of the x. By calling 9-1-1, he also, got his story to law enforcement first, which would have been difficult, if someone else had called, and the OP had simply left. While there are those who might question drawing, on someone that is not obviously armed, the OP stated his reasons very well, in that he is not physically able to defend himself against a younger, and possibly stronger attacker, in a hand to hand combat scenario. Plainview, is not a large town, so it is possible the antagonist is known to law enforcement. I'm glad the situation ended well, for everyone. and maybe a discussion from the police, especially, if they tell him, he came real close to being shot, will cool the guy off a little, and make him think twice before threatening "an old man"
I know well the feeling of suddenly having your gun in your hand with no, memory, of the draw, itself. That comes from muscle memory, and it happened to me a few times when I was a LEO.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I believe you did the right thing, especially since you are disabled. I am a little slower these days and my 21' rule has pushed out to 30-35' because of it. Sounds like they were within your comfort/personal space.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I'm glad the situation didn't escalate, and you and your wife escaped with no harm. From your description it sounds like you handled the situation very well. And your wife was on top of things by calling 911. That was also the right thing to do.

Obviously the police didn't think your actions were out of line either. I have just one question. Did you tell the police that you drew your weapon?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

It's good (for me) to know that others feel the same way I do - that advancing age and increasing infirmity leave us fewer opportunities than to draw decisively and early if faced with a situation like this. But.... and this is in no way a reflection on the OP..... it does make it more impressed upon me that responsibility dictates modifying my own behavior patterns to make sure that I expose myself as little as possible to the possibility of such an encounter.

It's one thing if you're more or less stuck in a town that is not your home, and you have to find a gas station. If you're not as familiar with the surroundings as you would be near home, or with the local social dynamics, then you do what you have to do. But for me, it also means a general rule of avoiding places like dive bars, or other such places where there might be found large and boisterous crowds with alcohol in their systems. If I'm living out of a motel room, and such a place is the only place where I can buy a "sit-down" meal, then I'm just as happy to have pizza delivered to my room and avoid the situation entirely. I haven't had the "blessing" of having to face that kind of encounter yet since having obtained my carry license, but if I ever have to, I hope I am able to respond as instinctively as the OP did.

Back in California, I did have someone draw a gun on me once at a stop light, during an act of road rage directed against me while I was commuting home from work one day. It being a commie state, I was not armed wth anything more than my wits, so my response was to put cars and miles between us as soon as the light changed. I would like to think that I would have had the presence of mind to react the exact same way if that situation were to repeat itself today, by putting cars and miles between us. I have no particular need to prove anything to anybody. But being on foot, in the middle of refueling one's vehicle, doesn't leave one with much choice other than to respond exactly as the OP did.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

priusron wrote:I am in Plainview for a few months and I needed gas in my jeep.i want to United on the southwest side of town. A I approached there was a train holding up traffic. As I slowed I turned on my left signal. As I started my left turn, the vehicle in front of me started to turn with no signal. I stopped. He stopped. I started. He started. I stopped and waited for him. He went straight in the lot and I turned down the first lane to the gas pumps. I pulled up to the pump with a vehicle in front of me. As I got out at pulled my card out, this black vehicle pulled up and blocked me in. He rolled his window down and began yellin at me "You are lucky you are old or I would get out and beat you". After about three times I just told him that he needed to leave. He continued to cuss at me and I just continued to repeat that he needed to leave. He then suddenly jumped out of his vehicle. My M&P 45 appeared in my hand at low ready as I took a couple steps back. This was all without thinking about it. He walked to the other side of the pump and takes with a friend about something. He then got back into his vehicle. I noted his license number. I holstered my weapon but kept my hand on it as he only pulled around to the other end of the pumps. He said something and then left. My wife was already calling 911 and handed the phone to me. I relayed what had taken place and they said they were sending officers right over. As I began pumping my fuel, I also removed my DL and LTC from my wallet. The police were there in about 30 seconds. I again repeated what had happened. She looked and my I'd and handed it back. Never asked for phone number or what I was doing in Plainview. My address is in Livingston. They asked if I wanted to press charges. I stated no but would like him talked to. They said they had a good return on his plates and would handle it. I was the only white guy at this station amongst a lot of hispanics. At least three of them told me good job or that we needed more people like me.

Reflection: I remember drawing my weapon but I did not have to think about it. I know if he would have advanced I would have raised it and fired. Same if I had seen a weapon in his hand. I am disabled and not about to fight. I,stopped attempting to fuel my vehicle so as not to be distracted from this guy. Even when he got back into his vehicle I did not reholster until he pulled away and then kept my hand on my weapon until he departed the area. There was no criticism towards me from the witnesses or police for drawing my weapon. The police were very professional and did not even run the serial nu,bed on my weapon. I was not nervous or shaking either during or after the incident. I run scenarios in my mind frequently and recently on my brothers range in Washington and I just responded without having to think about it.
Personally, I think you handled it well and correctly.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Good result. He left and you didn't have to shoot him, but you were prepared.

My question is, was he aware that you had drawn your pistol?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
priusron

Post by priusron »

I did tell the police that I drew my weapon, but also made them aware it was at low ready and did not point it at the individual. He was approx 8 feet away from me when he exited his vehicle and I had take a couple steps back. That is too close for me and I am unable to run.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I think as a female, of, umm, middl'n years? I think I would have done the same think. You did well.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Good results,You & your Wife made it Home safely.
CHL 2002
NRA life member
TSRA Endowment member
TWA member

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Next time you are in Plainview stop in at Tyler guns and more on the north end of town on I27 and tell them I said hi. I've known those folks for more than a few years and think very highly of them. I have never had any issues with the people in Plainview but I have very limited interaction with folks there.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”