Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

Post by TheFriscoKid »

Vol Texan wrote:Gosh everyone!

I know what I’d do. You know what you’d do. Some know what others would do. But we all know one thing - none of us were there.

This thread is about what the deputy(ies) failed to do, not about what we’d have done.

Can we get back on topic, please?
Bravo! :iagree:

And no one really cares anyway - internet talk is cheap - especially when it comes to boasting.

I should have made it more clear in original post but I see this as Sheriff Israel failed. Failed his men and those children by setting them all up for failure. Israel needs to go.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

OlBill wrote:We're mad at him for not being a hero.
Doing the job you are paid to do doesn't make you a hero, regardless how dangerous that job may be. We're mad at him for not doing his job because he's the worst kind of coward.

Chas.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Scot Peterson reminds me of Bowe Bergdahl. In both cases, someone whose job is to protect and defend decided to allow others to die.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Flightmare wrote:Scot Peterson reminds me of Bowe Bergdahl. In both cases, someone whose job is to protect and defend decided to allow others to die.
I actually think Bergdahl is worse. He actively deserted his post. It would be similar if the Deputy had seen the shooter and then ran away. However, it was still Peterson's duty to go in to see if he could save people, and he didn't. But I still think Bergdahl is worse. I still think he should have been executed.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Seems to fit this department
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 8

Post by anygunanywhere »

Keith B wrote:Image

Seems to fit this department
You win the internet for the day.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

Had it been you OR me, what would you OR I have done? Just wonderin'.....

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 8

Post by anygunanywhere »

Oldgringo wrote:Had it been you OR me, what would you OR I have done? Just wonderin'.....
Having spent my time as a teacher, I made a commitment that I was going to protect my students against whatever evil threatened them. No difference from my family. Except I was unarmed. Well, I didn’t have a gun.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

This thread has touched on exactly why I asked the question I did in this thread. http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... o#p1174270

I believe the word hero is too freely used to describe those that do what they are paid and have signed up to-do. In my mind, a hero is some who goes well beyond what is expected and is ordinary to their chosen profession or occupation for the benefit of others and/it their country. This deputy is no hero.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

A hero is not the one without fear, a hero is the one who controls the fear a little longer than everyone else.

I don't know who said it, and I'm sure I messed it up some, but I think it gets the point across.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Had it been you OR me, what would you OR I have done? Just wonderin'.....
Having spent my time as a teacher, I made a commitment that I was going to protect my students against whatever evil threatened them. No difference from my family. Except I was unarmed. Well, I didn’t have a gun.
Same here. Those were "my kids".
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I hold this former deputy in very low esteem for one glaring reason. The teacher and coach that was killed, Mr. Feis, died because he ran toward the gun fire unarmed and put himself between those kids and the shooter. He and the 3 JROTC members there acted with more courage and ultimately ended up dying to save lives.

I'm not saying the deputy should have sacrificed himself just because but he was one of the few there equipped to do something and he utterly failed.

Like Chas said, may God forgive me for the contempt I feel.
Psalm 91:2

flashman

Post by flashman »

At first I held my judgment. One guy, under gunned, under armored, not sure what is going on, I get it, I was not there.

But I read about other deputies, maybe 3, out in front of the school hiding. There is a stench that reeks in that department.

Unless you have been in a high threat circumstance it is hard to say what you would do. I have been in a few here and abroad.
So I think I know. That fact they call themselves law enforcement professionals sickens me.

I was told all those salutes I got needed to be paid in full when the time came. Same with him, he took the paycheck, you pay up when/if the time comes.

If you chose this line of work, you better damn well make the choice...

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
OlBill wrote:We're mad at him for not being a hero.
Doing the job you are paid to do doesn't make you a hero, regardless how dangerous that job may be. We're mad at him for not doing his job because he's the worst kind of coward.

Chas.
Failing to do even the bare minimum required by your department's SOP is bad enough. To fail to do so for four minutes of a six minute mass shooting when you could have intervened is absolutely inexcusable and the worst kind of cowardice.

He's a disgrace to the uniform as are the rest who failed to act as well.

Hide, wait, and watch hasn't been the protocol for 18 years.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

ScottDLS wrote:
Flightmare wrote:Scot Peterson reminds me of Bowe Bergdahl. In both cases, someone whose job is to protect and defend decided to allow others to die.
I actually think Bergdahl is worse. He actively deserted his post. It would be similar if the Deputy had seen the shooter and then ran away. However, it was still Peterson's duty to go in to see if he could save people, and he didn't. But I still think Bergdahl is worse. I still think he should have been executed.
Well, Bergdahl as bad as he is didn't desert while his buddies were under fire.

He just snuck off in the dark of night when all was quiet.

He should have been hung or gotten life but at least he wasn't hiding while his buddies were under fire and dying.

Word is, those kids looked up to and admired Peterson and no doubt were wondering where he was while they were bleeding and dying.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”