A close one!!!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
attila79
Posts in topic: 3

A close one!!!

Post by attila79 »

Well I have an uncle who works for Fed ex ground. If some of you don't know fed ex ground is a self employed company. My uncle owns four trucks and one of them broke down in the southwest side by 610 and South Main. My uncle arrives to see if he can fix the truck before dark and he notices this guy on a bike, but pays not attention to him. Well after a while the mechanic arrives this crack head comes around and starts demanding a job and talking about how texans don't have nothing on him because he's from Louisiana (Katrina evacuee). Obviosuly on drugs.

My uncle asked him to leave because he started to grab his tools and started talking about how he can fix the vehicle. By this time my uncle and the mechanic leave to get some parts and the crack head leaves the area.

Upon returning my uncle arrives by himself to wait for the mechanic who left to his shop. Well the crack head arrives as well this time with a buddy in a truck and produces a pistol. My uncle gets in his truck and takes off and the chase begins after speeding through neighborhoods and on the freeway he loses them. During this time my uncle calls his wife to call the cops (I know he should of called the cops himself). They arrive at the location of the broken down vehicle , but by this time the two guys are gone. The police officers proceed to give their cell phone number to my uncle just in case they come back around.

Guess what....They did! My uncle by this time as a couple of his coworkers with him so the crack head and the other guy split. At the same time my uncle is on the phone with the cops and a few minutes later they get the scumbags they resisted arrest and putting it in simple terms they got their butts beat by the cops until they were able to put them in the vehicle.

When my uncle knew it was getting dark he expressed that he wanted to call me to help him out with the truck and also because he knew I carried and he felt really unsafe in that area after dark....Who doesn't! I don't know what would of happened if I was there.

Please share your thoughts and sorry for it being so long.

Photoman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Photoman »

Sorry to hear about that mess! No way of telling what might have happened. Maybe someone would've been shot. Maybe they would've turned and run. Who knows...

Topic author
attila79

Post by attila79 »

Another question I have is....How many of you would of verbally asked him to put his gun away and leave the area or how many of you would of fired your pistol seeing he had one and was coming up to you in an aggressive manner. I can understand if he produced a knife or a bat and you want to give him a warning, but a firearm it just has to long of a reach for me. If you know what I mean.

What would you have done?

Bodacious

Post by Bodacious »

It is good your uncle is ok.

I have never had a gun pulled on me before so I don't know how I would react but I hope I would have drawn my weapon and defended myself.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Knowing the area and establishing that a real threat existed, I'd have towed the broken truck to a safer area to work on it.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Longtooths

Post by Longtooths »

I'd like to think I would have done the following:

If [me] <> [Danger] THEN

Normal situational awareness

ELSE IF [Me] = [in danger] THEN

If [Danger] < [loosing life] THEN

If [loved one] = [present]

Use code word for them to
take cover behind me, or flee

ELSE IF [Me Alone] = TRUE THEN

Call Police
Take defensive posture

END IF

ELSE IF [Danger] >= [Loss of life] THEN

Pull Weapon

If [Time] >= [Enough to get some cover] THEN

Get to cover

ELSE

Shoot until threat is neutralized
Call Police FIRST!

END IF

END IF

END IF

I'm a code monkey and I was bored this morning, sue me! =)
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

nerd. ;-)

Longtooths

Post by Longtooths »

NcongruNt wrote:nerd. ;-)

I prefer geek, but totally... :bigear:

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

Longtooths wrote:

I dont know what worse. You posting that or me being able to understand it.

And I'm not nerd or geek, Im' a Techie
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Wildscar wrote:
Longtooths wrote:

If you were truly a geek you would have criticized the use of the nested if statements instead of going case and/or loop. This isn't a one time through code - it is event driven!

Longtooths

Post by Longtooths »

Kalrog wrote:
Wildscar wrote:
Longtooths wrote:

If you were truly a geek you would have criticized the use of the nested if statements instead of going case and/or loop. This isn't a one time through code - it is event driven!

It was a one time scenario. Although, with a little work I could see where you could make it a perpetual loop. Of course there would be times you would need to exit loop, i.e. sleep etc. then of course you would need to address every variable, like no gun, asleep, no gun and naked, etc. But I digress….I feel my code was sufficient for the situation.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Longtooths wrote:I feel my code was sufficient for the situation.
What are you? An Agile developer?

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Longtooths wrote:
Kalrog wrote:
Wildscar wrote:
Longtooths wrote:

It was a one time scenario. Although, with a little work I could see where you could make it a perpetual loop. Of course there would be times you would need to exit loop, i.e. sleep etc. then of course you would need to address every variable, like no gun, asleep, no gun and naked, etc. But I digress….I feel my code was sufficient for the situation.
You'd also have to create a way to interrupt states, otherwise you're in trouble in a nighttime invasion. They'd have to be awfully short interrupt cycles too, and that would make for a lot of overhead. Then again, there's those of us who sleep much heavier than others, and have simpler "sleep 28800" processes going on and require a "killall -9 sleep" in order to be revived. :lol:

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Arrrggh.

Nested IF statements are so unwieldy.

SELECT - WHEN loop is so much cleaner and is self-documenting.

Heaven forbid a new Plastic Holder got your code, and then started shooting at the wrong spot due to poor documentation.

But, as pseudo-code, its a nice outline.....

~Bill

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I feel like we need a 12 step program on this forum. I'll go first.

Hi. My name is Kalrog and I'm a coder. I've been doing SQL code for the past 8 years, but dabble in PHP, C#, and Delphi.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”