Attention: Seeking Legal Advice -- Charles, can you help?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
McKnife
Posts in topic: 2

Attention: Seeking Legal Advice -- Charles, can you help?

Post by McKnife »

Post has been deleted based on private recommendations. Sorry to disappoint.
Last edited by McKnife on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:coolgleamA:

Kalrog

Re: Attention: Seeking Legal Advice -- Charles, can you help?

Post by Kalrog »

IANAL, but you need one. Call the NRA now (you are a member, right?) and see if they will help you. If not, then you need to get a private one.

Any idea what your roommate told the police? Scratch that. Don't answer in public.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I am sorry, but there is more to this than you are telling us. I have made many calls like this, and there are usually three sides; yours, his and the truth.

You will get a bunch of replies that tell you that you were done wrong, but in reality we don't know squat cause we were not there.

Why would you fear this roommate so? Do you two have a history? Why would you call your apartment manager, what was he/she supposed to do?

Why, when the police arrived, did you put your handgun on your person?

I am skeptical, at best.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Lucky45

Post by Lucky45 »

WE CAN KEEP IT A FICTIONAL SCENARIO!!!!!I have a couple of questions??
1. Was this in a metropolitan city or in a rural town??

McSOMEBODY FICTIONAL wrote:I was also informed that they would be filing paperwork to revoke my CHL because they deemed me a risk and mentally incapable of carrying a handgun on my person.
Was there something said in the heat of the moment, in the presence of the officers? Because I can't figure out how they could come to that conclusion from only meeting you in a few minutes. Did you say something like " I hear voices or something"? cause that would do it everytime. Plain and simple, did you carry on a shouting match with the roommate after the cops had arrived??

3. Don't worry about names and numbers right now, that can be gathered later from police call logs and the report.

4. If this incident with the roomate a "reoccurrence of a previous run in" , "something new", is it a "personal situation" like spiritual, emotional, physical, etc between you two???

TXi wrote:Why, when the police arrived, did you put your handgun on your person?
If you legally had a CHL, then I don't see what the problem would be. Why would there be a "special reason" to disarm yourself when they was no report of shots fired?? Is there a proximity clause or something, when within 10ft of LEO, please disarm.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

McKnife wrote:Post has been deleted based on private recommendations. Sorry to disappoint.
As much as I want to hear what happened, this is probably a good idea.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Lucky45 wrote:
TXi wrote:Why, when the police arrived, did you put your handgun on your person?
If you legally had a CHL, then I don't see what the problem would be. Why would there be a "special reason" to disarm yourself when they was no report of shots fired?? Is there a proximity clause or something, when within 10ft of LEO, please disarm.
Look at the scenario again. (oops, can't ) He was naked when this all started, so his handgun had to be retrieved from someplace. I would have just put it up.

As far as the rest of the scenario;
The bottom line is when you look around and everyone else is out of step, its not them.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

shaggydog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by shaggydog »

To paraphrase the great Yogi Berra - "This feels like deja vu all over again".

Hey McKnife - You're not from Lubbock by any chance are you?

bevans
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bevans »

Man I have been up for about 28 hours but I could swear I saw a post from Charles which disappeared before my eyes , now I may be going goofy but before i could read it it went {POOF} . please tell me i am not going nuts . :shock: me after two 10 hr shifts in a row
I used to think my dad was wrong about everything but as I get older I realize that he was dead on

Topic author
McKnife

Post by McKnife »

Without going into too much detail... my civil liberties have been violated by the very one's I called upon to difuse a probable battery.

I will post a full report and answer any and all questions (and bias [TXI] comments) :grumble :totap: when my case is closed.

Stay safe out there.

-McKnife
:coolgleamA:

Lucky45

Post by Lucky45 »

txinvestigator wrote:Look at the scenario again. (oops, can't ) He was naked when this all started, so his handgun had to be retrieved from someplace. I would have just put it up.
Well, I must have missed that, cause I didn't remember. OK...wait a minute. i think he said that he was in bed and told the roommate to give him a minute to get dress and come outside. I don't think that means he was in the nude. Then after the guy got more persistent and pounded, then he armed himself. If my memory serves me right. Sounds fair to me.
Like I told someone else, if you have time to call 911, then that means that have some alternatives.
If you don't stand for something, then you will fall for anything.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm going to lock this thread for now. The original post has prudently been deleted by the OP and he cannot talk about it now. Everything is speculation and even that has led to one member essentially calling the OP a liar. That will not and has not been tolerated.

If the original poster later decides he wants to explain further, then the thread will be unlocked and the discussion can continue. I think these types of discussion are helpful, since any person can find themselves faced with similar facts. However, in my view, it's never prudent to do so when legal action (civil or criminal) may yet be necessary.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The original poster wanted me to give an update on this matter. His handgun and knife have been returned to him and this matter of resolved. On my recommendation, he is not going to repost the details of the incident or provide any other information at this time. He may choose to do so at a later date. Based upon the information I have been given, the swift return of his firearm, and the fact that his CHL was not confiscated, it does not appear that this person's actions were in any manner improper.

If the original poster decides to provide more information at a later date, this thread will be unlocked.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”