Younger CHLs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Younger CHLs

Post by LarryH »

sivart-dod wrote:
FightinAggieCHL wrote:My dad bought me my first carry pistol after I had my CHL, because I was unable to do so! I was only 19 at the time I got it.

I have been carrying for about a year and a half now. I'm 21, and just bought a new Glock. :mrgreen:
I thought you had to be 21?
unless you're active-duty military , then it's 18

bonehead1185

Post by bonehead1185 »

Bought my first handgun a few months ago and took the class in August. Im 22 and finally was able to get the time and money to do it. Im just waiting on my plastic now! I hope to get it shortly after I turn 23.
8-10-08: CHL class taken
8-15-08: Mailed application
8-18-08: Received in Austin
9-3-08: PIN received - Processing Application
10-6-08: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active- 7 weeks after received!
10-10-08: Plastic received!!!!!!!!! 2 months to the day after class!!!

Bones444
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bones444 »

bonehead1185 wrote:Bought my first handgun a few months ago and took the class in August. Im 22 and finally was able to get the time and money to do it. Im just waiting on my plastic now! I hope to get it shortly after I turn 23.
That would be the best time, that way you get close to 5 years before renewing it. I just got mine this week and i turn 23 next month :banghead: So it expires almost exactly 4 years.
Carrying since '08...

JackRR

Post by JackRR »

More than what I would have thought.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... Issued.pdf

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

dburke87 wrote:I just wanted to have an idea how much of the younger crowd carries. I know of a lot of people say 30+ that do, but I don't know any even close to 21.
Here ya go:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... tsfy07.htm

A total of 1,091 licenses were issued to 21-year-olds during the last measurement year (9/1/2006 through 8/31/2007). It's the 43 to 65 crowd who account for, by age, the most licenses issued. There were even two 95-year-olds who were issued CHLs!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

winkydo

Post by winkydo »

got my plastic last month... i turn 25 next weekend... i'm still young right? :rock"
Criminals don't buy retail. - TLE2

yahoshua

Post by yahoshua »

Acquired and have been carrying since 18 (Idaho open carry), applied for my CHL license in August.

ScrapMetal

Post by ScrapMetal »

Got my CHL and first gun at 21. Turned 22 this month.

Looking for the Facebook group now...

EDIT: Can't find the group, a little help please!

AggieC05

Post by AggieC05 »

Been shooting pistols/rifles and all kinds of other guns since I was a little kid. Just bought my own pistol (birthday present to me) and got my Plastic earlier this week. I am 25, and have been wanting to do it for awhile, but money and time were the limiting factors.

FIFTY

Post by FIFTY »

Hey ScrapMetal, you've got a PM from me to help you find the group.

FightinAggieCHL

Post by FightinAggieCHL »

sivart-dod wrote:
unless you're active-duty military , then it's 18
Exactly. I called the DPS licensing office, and apparently being on an ROTC scholarship counts as active duty. Since I am paid by the Navy on a bi-weekly basis, I just sent in a W-2 form, and they approved it without any problems.
The right to bear arms shall NOT be infringed.

Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I know this thread is a bit old but wanted to add to the 'young' crowd. I moved to Texas shortly after turning 21 and was unable to purchase a handgun and keep it easily accessible due to living in the billets on Ft. Hood. I went to Iraq and turned 22 and 23 there. I returned to the states in January, I bought my XD in March and I took the class in April. I just got my license in hand YESTERDAY! The wait was absolutely ridiculous. However, it was well worth it. We live in San Antonio now and there are just some questionable places and people here. Not that there arent in the Ft. Hood area cause there are but coming from a small country town in Missouri living in a big city is a bit different. Its good to see so many younger people exercising their rights. We have people fighting and dying for them we should excercise them. :patriot:

Proud member of: VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, KofC, NRA and North American Hunting Club.

WE MUST FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS!!!

Tahoe132

Post by Tahoe132 »

I took my CHL course when I was 20, bought one of my carry guns the day I turned 21, and received my license a month or two after I turned 21.

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasComputerDude »

winkydo wrote:got my plastic last month... i turn 25 next weekend... i'm still young right? :rock"

I figure we are both young until doing this :rock" starts to hurt the day after lol.
Glock 30 - main ccw

AggieC05

Post by AggieC05 »

TexasComputerDude wrote:
winkydo wrote:got my plastic last month... i turn 25 next weekend... i'm still young right? :rock"

I figure we are both young until doing this :rock" starts to hurt the day after lol.

lol... some days it takes less than that! even at 25

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”