Soccer dad pulls gun on coach's husband - Lubbock

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Soccer dad pulls gun on coach - Lubbock

Post by troglodyte »

Greybeard wrote:Quote from Oct. 20 Channel 11 text: "Apparently, the coach's husband tried to stop Burke from yelling at his wife, and that's when the two men got into an argument in the stands. The police report states that the victim pushed Burke, and then Burke pulled a handgun and pointed it at the victim's head."

I've been out of town all week and am just now catching up to bits and pieces of this incident, but it appears the subject line of this thread would be more accurate if stating "Soccer dad pulls gun on coach's husband."
You are correct. Subject line changed.

mr.72
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mr.72 »

Greybeard wrote:Quote from Oct. 20 Channel 11 text: "Apparently, the coach's husband tried to stop Burke from yelling at his wife, and that's when the two men got into an argument in the stands. The police report states that the victim pushed Burke, and then Burke pulled a handgun and pointed it at the victim's head."
The dude who pulled the gun was also a victim.

And so was the coach.

There's plenty of blame to go around.
non-conformist CHL holder

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 28

Re: Soccer dad pulls gun on coach's husband - Lubbock

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LOL...My daughter was born when I was 18. I was born when my mom was 18. She is a retired attorney and I own my own business with my daughter. My son is in law school. My point is...what the heck does age of a person when becoming a parent have to do with acting like a civilized human being?

Quite frankly, I would like to see this clown relieved of his CHL before he ends up killing somebody in a fit of rage. he obviously has anger management issues and is not safe to carry a firearm.

Sorry if I don't walk in lock step with every CHL holder out there. I believe that when one of our own(so to speak) acts inappropriately, we had better not come off as defending their actions. This guy pulled a gun on a person over a shove....let's get real here. That is not appropriate at all.

Funny what if here for you. What if I were there and saw him pull that gun. What if I pulled my gun and shot the mouthy dude because my point of view was that he is about to shoot an unarmed man? Which is a distinct possibility....by the way.

03Lightningrocks

Russell wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:Funny what if here for you. What if I were there and saw him pull that gun. What if I pulled my gun and shot the mouthy dude because my point of view was that he is about to shoot an unarmed man? Which is a distinct possibility....by the way.

Better not. I already tried doing that exact "what if" scenario. Trust me, it's not welcome in this thread :mrgreen:
:lol: That's right...I forgot...oops. :biggrinjester:

It would be like the wild west at the soccer game. He pulls his gun on an unarmed man so I shoot him. Some other CHL sees me shoot the guy with the lip and shoots me...then somebody else pulls their gun and blasts him. You see what all got started becuase some coward screamed at the coach.

bryang
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bryang »

You guys are something else...this is why I love this forum so much. I am not a good debater as ya'll are. I wish I was, but I am just no good at it. But I enjoy hearing, or reading, a good debate. This has been a great learning experience for us all, I know it has for me, and I appreciate all the thoughts expressed by each and everyone of you!!! It makes you think, and that's a good thing.

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

jimmy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimmy »

However this incident plays out, I'm grateful no shots were fired.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Post by KBCraig »

edmart001 wrote:
Russell wrote:
edmart001 wrote: It is not my place to judge
When you were between the ages of 16 and 18, did you make all the right adult decisions?

Not many 16 year old's do. I know I didn't. I was only thinking about one thing when I was that age.

I wouldn't judge his character based on that.
I actually agree with you. In fact, in my previous post, I even said, "It is not my place to judge".
It's funny how many statements that start off with "It's not my place to judge..." then go on to do exactly that. Or at the very least, heap aspersions.

"It's not my place to judge" is not a disclaimer that permits one to then go on with an implied, "...but if it was...!"

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Post by KBCraig »

Addressing no one in particular, since a number have commented that "it was just a shove!":

I know plenty of people, who if they got in your face and shoved you, you'd not only pull your gun, you'd call for backup and wish you had an artillery battery behind you.

Don't assume anything about this case. Don't speculate, based on your prejudices of the situation. It doesn't matter how many irate youth sports parents you've seen losing their cool, don't project your past experiences into this discussion, because you weren't there!

Let me add that as a father of five, I also have experience coaching and assisting youth sports (previously t-ball, and just making my first venture into soccer this fall), and I have seen plenty of irate, obnoxious, and angry parents. I can easily imagine one of them in the role of this particular soccer dad. But I do not know that this was the case here.

And let me point out that the coach's husband is also a soccer dad, one who was also standing up for his wife, so the odds are just about equal on him being the ballistic hot-head.

I hate that I continually sound like I'm defending the dad in this case. I'm not. I'm defending against speculation.

I suspect that the dad was in the wrong, but I do not know that he was. Thus, I must reserve judgement until the facts are revealed. I can (and have) pointed out many possibilities where the dad would be fully justified in threatening deadly force, and we must allow for those possibilities before passing judgement.

I hate to see threads locked, but I think it's almost time for this one to be placed on probation until more facts come out.

txflyer
Posts in topic: 6

Post by txflyer »

troglodyte wrote:
txflyer wrote:
troglodyte wrote:I may have missed it somewhere but where does it say the husband was charged? Last I heard, or can find now. indicates that no charges have been filed against him, the husband.
Keith B posted this a bit ago: http://texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum ... 60#p222329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow the link there and about 1:30 into it the reporter mentions the husband has been charged with assault.
Naw, he doesn't say that. He says "...pushed by the coach's husband, and no assault charges have been filed but it will be interesting to hear if his lawyers try to use that in his defense." From one of the earliest reports, that is not archived, they (KAMC) clearly said no charges have been filed on the husband. This may have changed since these reports were made but I haven't heard or read different.

Still looking and waiting for more details. Any talk, information, etc. has simply stopped around here. Even the I-heard-it-from-a-friend-of-a-friend rumors have dried up.
You're right. I thought I heard "and now assault charges..." This is why I prefer print to video.

amber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by amber »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I pray to god that chivalry is not dead.
I pray that rampant sexism becomes as extinct as dinosaurs.

mr.72
Posts in topic: 22

Post by mr.72 »

Right on, KBCraig.

Way too much projecting and assuming. Even the thin facts we have do not support these assumptions. I'm just glad we have laws in this country and it's not 100% court of public opinion.
non-conformist CHL holder

03Lightningrocks

amber wrote:

LOL...me thinks your being a bit over sensitive Amber. Chivalry does not equate to sexism.

amber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by amber »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
amber wrote:

LOL...me thinks your being a bit over sensitive Amber. Chivalry does not equate to sexism.
Sexism is as sexism does. When men try to "protect" women because they think we're not able to verbally defend ourselves from a loudmouth, that's sexist. When men try to "protect" women because they think we're too weak or incompetent to serve in the military or drive a truck or use power tools or change a tire, that's sexist. When men try to "protect" women because they think we're not smart enough to be a doctor or a lawyer or a computer programmer or a CEO, that's sexist. When men treat women like children instead of adults, that's sexist.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”