Why do we patronize gun shows?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why do we patronize gun shows?

Post by ScottDLS »

ricor wrote:I like gun shows, yes it is difficult to have to disarm. I understand why insurance underwriters would request a posting of the appropriate signage. I know we have to go through plenty of back ground checks to carry but I think it's more than that. When I went through my CHL class I saw many law abiding and well intentioned don't truly have the skills and discipline to be responsible in all situations.
My opinion (that's why it's worth 2 cents). If the gun show is in a government owned venue, and many of the big ones in my area (DFW) are...There is no "appropriate signage" for the show operator to post. The insurance company "requirement" to post a "sign" is moot. A 30.06 sign is not enforceable on government owned property. To keep their insurance, the show promoter should just post a "no loaded weapons" sign or some such to demonstrate their intent. I haven't been to one in a few years, but are they frisking people or using metal detectors? If not, I'd just walk in. If they are and and they zip tie my gun, I'll walk to the lavatory, go in a stall, cut the zip tie and re-arm. I'm not going to go pulling out my carry gun to check holster fit or show off or some such nonsense. So if I really want to carry, that's what I'll do. And, no I won't patronize a gun show in a private venue or a gun shop with a legal 30.06 posting. I've visited scores of Texas gun stores and I've never seen one with a 30.06 sign. Are there any?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

[/quote]My opinion (that's why it's worth 2 cents). If the gun show is in a government owned venue, and many of the big ones in my area (DFW) are...There is no "appropriate signage" for the show operator to post. The insurance company "requirement" to post a "sign" is moot. A 30.06 sign is not enforceable on government owned property. To keep their insurance, the show promoter should just post a "no loaded weapons" sign or some such to demonstrate their intent. I haven't been to one in a few years, but are they frisking people or using metal detectors? If not, I'd just walk in. If they are and and they zip tie my gun, I'll walk to the lavatory, go in a stall, cut the zip tie and re-arm. I'm not going to go pulling out my carry gun to check holster fit or show off or some such nonsense. So if I really want to carry, that's what I'll do. And, no I won't patronize a gun show in a private venue or a gun shop with a legal 30.06 posting. I've visited scores of Texas gun stores and I've never seen one with a 30.06 sign. Are there any?[/quote]

What gun shows in the DFW area are in government owned venues? Market Hall is privately owned, Amon Carter/Will Rogers is privately owned, Big Town is privately owned, Mesquite Rodeo Convention Center is privately owned. Don't know of any other venues worth attending.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

I spoke with a LEO yesterday (who has worked a number of gun shows) regarding posting at shows. He may not know what he is talking about, but he claimed that posting at gun shows was required by law.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Mike1951 »

He is mistaken.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 3

Post by wheelgun1958 »

From what I have gleaned from the 'net, the Will Rogers Center is a public facility. This includes the Amon Carter Exhibit Hall.

http://www.fortworthgov.org/publicevents/wrmc/

HGWC
Banned

Post by HGWC »

I'm still curious. The 30.06 only applies to those carrying under the authority of CHL. My question is what exception applies to 46.02 that excludes the no handgun carry ban to those transporting a handgun to or from a venue where guns are sold and traded? We are specifically allowed to carry a handgun on our own property. It has to be legal to purchase that handgun and transport it to our property. There has to be an exception. Is it the hunting, fishing, and sporting exception in 46.15? Is it the traveling exception?

jmra

Post by jmra »

wheelgun1958 wrote:From what I have gleaned from the 'net, the Will Rogers Center is a public facility. This includes the Amon Carter Exhibit Hall.

Looks like you might be right. It appears that Mantra has it listed incorrectly as privately owned. Think I will call the information center and ask.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

fickman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fickman »

jmra wrote:
wheelgun1958 wrote:From what I have gleaned from the 'net, the Will Rogers Center is a public facility. This includes the Amon Carter Exhibit Hall.

Looks like you might be right. It appears that Mantra has it listed incorrectly as privately owned. Think I will call the information center and ask.
Let us know what you find out!
Native Texian

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

We patronize gun shows because Barnum was right.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

jmra

Post by jmra »

fickman wrote:
jmra wrote:

Let us know what you find out!
According to the woman who answered the phone, all of the Will Rogers Center buildings are owned by the city.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

You could ask yourself why you patronize an indoor shooting range

Most are posted to prevent loaded carry in the store

roberts
Banned

Post by roberts »

92f-fan wrote:You could ask yourself why you patronize an indoor shooting range

Most are posted to prevent loaded carry in the store
Never seen one myself at a gun range but if I did I would take my gun and my money somewhere pro gun. Just like any other business. They're free to post and I'm free to spend money somewhere else, especially during a recession. :lol:
THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS NOT ABOUT DUCK HUNTING

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”