CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Phoenix6410
Posts in topic: 6

Just looking for others opinions

Post by Phoenix6410 »

Hello all,
I am pretty sure I already know the answers to the following questions, but was hoping for others point of view I guess.
I recieved my CHL on the 22nd of June this year at the request of my boss. (I have always wanted to get my CHL but had kept putting it off.) I work in a very bad part of Houston, for a small family company that takes very good care of my wife (who also works here) and myself. The problem I face is that part of my job includes driving through the 5th and 3rd wards of Houston on a regular basis, no problem here as I can now carry, right? Well, not so much. :banghead: At anytime of any given day without any notice at all, I can be sent into the Port of Houston or any of the surrounding petrochemical plants requiring TWIC access and therefore I can not be armed. This situation is no different for many truck drivers and hot shot drivers in our area, and was just wondering if my best option is to stay unarmed throught the work day and how others handle this?
Any comments/opinions/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Phoenix :txflag:
Gun control begins with learning how to control a gun!

snatchel
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Just looking for others opinions

Post by snatchel »

You are in Houston.. there are gym's and lockers and what not everywhere. Anywhere you can drop your gun off at a locker and lock it up while you are on the run?

That would be my advice. Either that, or get friendly with a gun-store owner in the area of those places and see if they would mind holding onto your gun while you are out on your run.

Best bet would be to find a locker. Take you 10 minutes out of the way at most, that includes running in and checking your gun into a locker.
No More Signature

Topic author
Phoenix6410

Post by Phoenix6410 »

Well I can leave my firearm in my POV at the shop, so I am at least able to carry to and from work, I am sure that I could find a locker here and there, however I have those days where I don't know where I am going to be 10 minutes from now, and when I find out, it could change 5 minutes later :mad5 . When I am driving, (only have to drive occasionally) it is always rush, rush. Not really time to find a safe place to secure my weapon, let alone eat lunch.

snatchel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by snatchel »

Hmm. Gross. I would at least carry to/from work, but I can't think of anything for those special calls. My suggestion is to do what myself and many others on this forum do when going to classes at a college campus:

Carry a pocket knife and pepper spray. Beats the heck out bare knuckle fighting.
No More Signature

Topic author
Phoenix6410

Post by Phoenix6410 »

snatchel wrote: Carry a pocket knife and pepper spray. Beats the heck out bare knuckle fighting.

:iagree:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Phoenix6410 wrote:
snatchel wrote: Carry a pocket knife and pepper spray. Beats the heck out bare knuckle fighting.

:iagree:
What about a Taser?
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

First off I just have to say how envious I am that your boss requested that you get a CHL so you can carry on the job! :thumbs2:

Now, to think out of the box a little, or maybe it's just wishful thinking. Two things, aren't places like this supposed to have a separate parking lot where folks that carry can park with their guns in their vehicles? Or what do you think would be the probability of having his boss request that the locations he goes to somehow be able to hold his gun for him while he's inside and then return it to him when he leaves?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:First off I just have to say how envious I am that your boss requested that you get a CHL so you can carry on the job! :thumbs2:

Now, to think out of the box a little, or maybe it's just wishful thinking. Two things, aren't places like this supposed to have a separate parking lot where folks that carry can park with their guns in their vehicles? Or what do you think would be the probability of having his boss request that the locations he goes to somehow be able to hold his gun for him while he's inside and then return it to him when he leaves?
I thought about that, but I assumed that whatever Phoenix6410 was hauling had to be delivered inside the plant.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Phoenix6410

Post by Phoenix6410 »

WildBill wrote:
C-dub wrote:First off I just have to say how envious I am that your boss requested that you get a CHL so you can carry on the job! :thumbs2:

I thought about that, but I assumed that whatever Phoenix6410 was hauling had to be delivered inside the plant.

Your assumption is correct, I must deliver (or pick up) inside the plant in the company truck. I have thought about asking the security guards about holding a firearm while I am in the facility, but figure that will cause more problems than anything.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Phoenix6410 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Your assumption is correct, I must deliver (or pick up) inside the plant in the company truck. I have thought about asking the security guards about holding a firearm while I am in the facility, but figure that will cause more problems than anything.
Probably, but you never know.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Ameer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ameer »

Is it illegal to have a gun in a locked box in the trunk? It wouldn't be on or about your person so 30.06 signs wouldn't apply. I know it may violate company policy, but I'm asking if it violates any laws. If so, please say what law.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Ldy AlliDu

Post by Ldy AlliDu »

I used to work on the east side, sometimes if I worked late I would just sleep in the car, how things have changed. I had no phone, probably not even a pocketknife.
I am curious how you feel, do you feel safe?

Get this

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Ameer wrote:Is it illegal to have a gun in a locked box in the trunk? It wouldn't be on or about your person so 30.06 signs wouldn't apply. I know it may violate company policy, but I'm asking if it violates any laws. If so, please say what law.
It would violate the law if he must go into the secure area of a oil refinery or where ever it is he must go as part of his job. You cannot even leave it in the vehicle in those places.

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

C-dub wrote:
Ameer wrote:Is it illegal to have a gun in a locked box in the trunk? It wouldn't be on or about your person so 30.06 signs wouldn't apply. I know it may violate company policy, but I'm asking if it violates any laws. If so, please say what law.
It would violate the law if he must go into the secure area of a oil refinery or where ever it is he must do as part of his job. You cannot even leave it in the vehicle in those places.
I noticed you didn't say what law. Do you mind telling us so we can read it?

Just in case, let me say the parking lot law didn't make it illegal. It also only changed the employee relationship and a visitor or vendor is not an employee there.

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

It's starting to sound a lot like the "law" that you can't carry in a commercial vehicle.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”