CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Interesting email conversation with CCW Safe

Post by Abraham »

MONGOOSE,

Have you read it?

Do you know if it covers you in a firearm related self defense situation?

Topic author
Countryside
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Countryside »

I have sent another email to the representative of CCW Safe and provided links to this topic of discussion and a couple of other forums where it is being discussed. They have the opportunity to join the discussion and to clear up any misunderstandings if they so wish.

MONGOOSE
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by MONGOOSE »

Unless the agent was blowing smoke, I'm covered. I'll double check.

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

Just spoke with another agent....answer is they will defend me. They won't provide bail money, but all else is good. He reminded every that the NRA will provide some insurance if you are a member. Of corse he said the more insurance the better.

john@ccwsafe.com
Posts in topic: 3

Post by john@ccwsafe.com »

To be clear, we responded several times to Ralph and let him know that we only require our members to be in legal possession of their firearm to be covered in a self defense incident. I don't think that is too complicated. Being the only police union model in the nation, we try to work with law enforcement to make sure they view our member as a victim, not a suspect. We have covered our members in shootings, alleged brandishing and 1st Degree Murder cases. Our terms of service are extremely clear. I encourage you to compare CCW Safe's Terms of Service to other companies. We don't do pressure sales, scare tactics or bad mouth law enforcement.

Please read below. http://ccwsafe.com/terms/

By remitting membership payment, buyer is purchasing the rights to services for representation of either one person (single or military/LE), two family members (dual), in any legal matter stemming from a self defense use of force incident pursuant to a duly licensed in good standing concealed carry weapon permit for one year from the date of this acknowledgement. Representation to include securing of legal services and investigative services from CCW Safe attorneys and network law firms. Note: You must have a valid state Concealed Weapon Permit issued to be eligible for any representation from CCW Safe. This is not an insurance product. It is a services agreement. Therefore, any money judgments rendered against a member is the responsibility of the member. CCW Safe will obtain and pay all legal services affiliated with a self defense use of force incident.

Recognized use of force incidents include both civil, criminal and administrative actions taken by a state, local or federal government or regulatory agency which administers a state’s concealed carry permit system:

Any self defense shooting occurring in any location that honors your concealed carry permit, with legally licensed firearms according to your concealed carry permit.
Any use of deadly force in any location that honors your permit(s) or license(s).
Any self defense shooting or use of force with any weapon or object or any legal firearm, even those outside of your concealed carry permit occurring in your residence during the commission of a crime against you, your family or occupants or in any place where you can legally possess a legal firearm. A legal firearm includes any firearm that meets the legal description of state and federal laws.
Any administrative action stemming from a self defense use of force incident taken against your concealed handgun license in the state, which issued your license.
Criminal, administrative or civil actions brought against the member stemming from one of the above described situations.
Restrictions to coverage: CCW Safe, LLC will not provide the above services if the use of force incident is an intentional criminal act. We will provide services if our member is charged with a criminal charge stemming from a self-defense incident. But, not intentional criminal acts.

This membership includes bail bond coverage up to a $250,000 bail bond. CCW Safe will select a bondsman and make arrangements for the bond.

Provisional Terms: The single and dual memberships both have a provisional term. The provisional term on the single membership allows you to be covered upon completion of a CCW course, and have up to 4 months to get your permit. The provisional term covers you anywhere it is legal for you to possess a firearm, for example: in your home, car, work, etc. With our dual plan, the provisional term will cover your spouse in the same places, even if they do not have a concealed carry permit or license. Please check your state law on where you can legally possess a firearm.

CCW Safe reserves the right to increase membership rates for recurring memberships, however, you are guaranteed that rates will not increase during the year of that membership.

CCW Safe will charge $75 for false reports, “test” calls and other abuses on the 24-hour hotline number. The 24-hour member hotline number is forwarded to multiple people, including multiple attorneys, investigators and administrative personnel. Abuses to the 24-hour member hotline can result in suspension of service.

If the member has some other insurance product, or legal services membership plan, CCW Safe will always respond and begin services, as no other insurance or coverage offers an emergency response. If the member has any plans, policies or memberships that offers any financial assistance toward their defense, CCW Safe will work with the member to obtain any financial assistance toward their defense. Any conflicting terms with other policies or other membership plans will be negotiated with the other plans and policies in the best interest of the member. In the event of an incident, we will work with the member to determine any and all polices of coverage or membership plans that can be resourced for your benefit.

Any disagreement about the terms of this membership, the member acknowledges and accepts that any dispute will be handled through binding arbitration and administered by the laws of the state of Oklahoma. Member agrees to transfer any subrogation rights or interests from any employer, agent, agency, or policy to CCW Safe.

By joining, member acknowledges that they have read, understood, and agrees to be bound by these terms of service.

john@ccwsafe.com
Posts in topic: 3

Post by john@ccwsafe.com »

Mongoose,
CCW Safe comes with $250,000 bond on the standard policy. For an additional charge, you can purchase bond coverage to $1,000,000. We recently posted a $500,000 bond for a member. There are no caps on criminal or civil in a self defense incident. CCW Safe is based on the police union model, so we actually cover the use of force continuum. To be clear, we cover you in a life threatening self defense incident even if a gun wasn't used. You don't have to shoot or use a gun. We protect you when you protect yourself from an attack.

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

john@ccwsafe.com wrote:Mongoose,
CCW Safe comes with $250,000 bond on the standard policy. For an additional charge, you can purchase bond coverage to $1,000,000. We recently posted a $500,000 bond for a member. There are no caps on criminal or civil in a self defense incident. CCW Safe is based on the police union model, so we actually cover the use of force continuum. To be clear, we cover you in a life threatening self defense incident even if a gun wasn't used. You don't have to shoot or use a gun. We protect you when you protect yourself from an attack.
I appreciate the info.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

john@ccwsafe.com,

Are you well versed regarding Texas 30.06 signage?

Thanks

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

As an interesting side note folks, when I qualified for the umbrella I had to triple my vehicle insurance from 100,000 to 300,000. Cost all of 16.00 per year.

Topic author
Countryside
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Countryside »

John, thanks for joining in on the discussion.

Let me ask it this way:

What is the definition of a place that does NOT honor a conceal carry permit?

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Crickets?

Do I hear crickets...?

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

Abraham wrote:Pariah3j,

Yeah, I agree, that's how it should be.

However, from the sound of their ambiguous "weasel words", I think they might argue any "no guns sign" let's them escape the cost of defending one in the case of self defense when using a firearm while in a business with only "gun buster" not "30.06" signage.

I hope I'm wrong, but they dodged the OP's very direct question at every turn, ultimately insulted him and suggested he take his business elsewhere.
I have no experience with any of these companies, but I am in the insurance business here in Texas. Think about how all of the insurance companies operate... they take your money every month, then nit pick and look for any possible flaw that will give them an out so that they don't have to pay on a claim.

It seems that these folks are no different. I won't give any of them a dime. I'll find my own frigging lawyer who will agree to take the case based on the facts as they happened... not some prepaid service who will OBVIOUSLY look for ways to avoid executing on their side of the deal based on something that I did that they don't like.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmorris »

Abraham wrote:Pariah3j,

Yeah, I agree, that's how it should be.

However, from the sound of their ambiguous "weasel words", I think they might argue any "no guns sign" let's them escape the cost of defending one in the case of self defense when using a firearm while in a business with only "gun buster" not "30.06" signage.

I hope I'm wrong, but they dodged the OP's very direct question at every turn, ultimately insulted him and suggested he take his business elsewhere.
I think TVegas is right. This not a Texas based business and most likely is only aware of states that say any no gun sign is legal. Though they also ignored the OP's attempt to educate them.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

AJSully421 wrote: I have no experience with any of these companies, but I am in the insurance business here in Texas. Think about how all of the insurance companies operate... they take your money every month, then nit pick and look for any possible flaw that will give them an out so that they don't have to pay on a claim.

It seems that these folks are no different. I won't give any of them a dime. I'll find my own frigging lawyer who will agree to take the case based on the facts as they happened... not some prepaid service who will OBVIOUSLY look for ways to avoid executing on their side of the deal based on something that I did that they don't like.

Not disagreeing that won't be how they try to handle it, just how I interpreted their claim. Has anyone here on the forums used one of these "legal insurance" companies (or know someone who has ?) - What was the experience like ?

So far, as far as I can tell, everyone is speculating on how these companies are run due to how auto insurance, etc is run. Not saying that isn't a valid comparison, but some first hand experience to validate or invalidate that premise would be nice.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

My insurance Co. Has always bent over backwards for me. I spoke to an agent who is a fellow CHLEer. He said he gets my question about 10 times per day. I' m covered no matter what means I use to protect myself or my family or property. I'm even protected if I lible or slander someone

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”