Hotel Stay in Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Hotel Stay in Texas

Post by carlson1 »

While booking my rooms for the week the representative for Holiday Inn said no guns on the premises concealed or opened.

Question? Can hotels in Texas keep you from carrying your guns to the room?

03Lightningrocks

Re: Hotel Stay in Texas

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

carlson1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:25 am While booking my rooms for the week the representative for Holiday Inn said no guns on the premises concealed or opened.

Question? Can hotels in Texas keep you from carrying your guns to the room?
I have never had a representative volunteer this info to me before and I have,(in the past), scheduled many a night at holiday in express. I never asked either because I am in the don't ask, don't tell category of concealed carriers. If they find out I am armed, it is because I was about to be dead and am willing in that case to face the law rather than Jesus. Does the verbal part of the warning qualify as good enough under Texas laws? I am just adding an addendum to your question.

cirus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cirus »

When I'm traveling I keep a gun with me whether the hotel likes it or not. Don't worry about it or find another hotel.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I'm not going to die to make Holiday Inn happy, the gun goes with me!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tex1961 »

HB20 came into effect 9/1/2021 along with constitutional carry.
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... &Bill=SB20

Basically they cannot deny your right to store a handgun in your room. You are only allowed to transport to and from your car, they can deny you walking around premises, sitting in their restaurant, etc.
Last edited by Tex1961 on Tue May 10, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

extremist

Post by extremist »

Ignore them. ;-)
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

extremist wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:07 am Ignore them. ;-)
:iagree:
Concealed is concealed. Only superman has x-ray vision and I haven't seen metal detectors in any hotels I can afford. Not yet anyway.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:33 am I believe HB20 came into effect 9/1/2021 along with constitutional carry.
https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/Hi ... &Bill=SB20

Basically they cannot deny your right to store a handgun in your room. You are only allowed to transport to and from your car, they can deny you walking around premises, sitting in their restaurant, etc.
:iagree:

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/a ... 00020F.htm
S.B. 20 amends the Occupations Code to make it clear that hotels cannot adopt a policy prohibiting guests from storing a handgun or ammunition in a hotel room. Also, a hotel may adopt a policy requiring guests to conceal carry or to carry their handgun and ammunition in a case or bag when transporting from the parking lot to the hotel room.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

extremist wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:07 am Ignore them. ;-)
On this, we agree. As Slick Willy put it, don’t ask, don’t tell.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Send me their phone number... I'd be glad to inform them that they are in violation of State Law...

Better yet, call the AG and file a complaint.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I don't travel to frequently but do manage to stay in a hotel 2-5 times annually. Granted I do most of my reservations online, but I've never had anyone volunteer this when I've had to call with a question or needed to make any adjustment. As others have said, out of site, out of mind. The hotel room is considered an extension of your home while you are staying there and is allowed. Frankly, I try to lessen as much interactions with the hotel staff while staying there. I put the do not disturb sign up the whole time I am there so no one has a reason to enter my room. And I never leave my gun unattended.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I did ignore them. It was too late and I was too tired. They messed up my reservation anyways and had to move me to a hotel 3 miles down thr road. Walked in with my 1911 concealed and my AR in a bag. I can’t believe a hotel would even be able to do that especially in Texas.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

carlson1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:41 am I did ignore them. It was too late and I was too tired. They messed up my reservation anyways and had to move me to a hotel 3 miles down thr road. Walked in with my 1911 concealed and my AR in a bag. I can’t believe a hotel would even be able to do that especially in Texas.
Private property. At least the legislation protects us with the new law. Prior, it was common belief that since the room was your temporary domicile you were allowed but there was nothing in the law that specifically said so, unlike an RV.

I'm wondering if the hotel was posted. You had notice since you were told but if someone wasn't it wouldn't apply unless they're posted. If "no guns" is buried somewhere in the paperwork, but does not use 05/06/07 language, they could require you to vacate if you were carrying about the hotel (hotel restaurant for example) but you wouldn't be in violation of the law.

As I understand it, IANAL.

Edit: I assumed the clerk was speaking of outside the room or transporting it firearms were not permitted. I too often assume that people have a clue.
Last edited by jmorris on Tue May 10, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

carlson1 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:41 am I can’t believe a hotel would even be able to do that especially in Texas.
That's just it.. They can't do that. Especially in Texas... Seriously though.. You need to file a complaint with the Texas AG's office....

DocV

Post by DocV »

Last edited by DocV on Tue May 10, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”