CHL requirements

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

CHL requirements

Post by Oldgringo »

Both Martha's and my CHL expire in February. My interests have turned mostly to airguns due to mobility issues and I haven't been following PB issues much at all. I thought the 30.06/07 signs had been voided and CHLs were no longer applicable in Texas. Have I been asleep at the throttle or what? Inasmuch as we both got renewal letters, I reckon we ought to get online and renew our licenses.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL requirements

Post by Tex1961 »

To answer your questions.
To renew just go online to the DPS website and pay your fee.
30.06 /07 are still in full force.

Texas does now have constitutional carry that will allow you to carry without a license. However be aware there are several disadvantages to this. You will no longer have reciprocity with other states, ability to purchase a handgun without a background check, more locations that you will not be allowed to carry. Simple gun buster signs are effective notice for those who carry without an LTC. There are several other advantages such as law-enforcement interactions and forgiveness if you accidentally get caught at an airport secure area. Also the term CHL is no longer valid. We have LTC. The difference is CHL means concealed handgun license and LTC means license to carry. Every since Texas became an open carry state you no longer receive a CHL, you receive a LTC.

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:35 pm To answer your questions.
To renew just go online to the DPS website and pay your fee.
30.06 /07 are still in full force.

Texas does now have constitutional carry that will allow you to carry without a license. However be aware there are several disadvantages to this. You will no longer have reciprocity with other states, ability to purchase a handgun without a background check, more locations that you will not be allowed to carry. Simple gun buster signs are effective notice for those who carry without an LTC. There are several other advantages such as law-enforcement interactions and forgiveness if you accidentally get caught at an airport secure area. Also the term CHL is no longer valid. We have LTC. The difference is CHL means concealed handgun license and LTC means license to carry. Every since Texas became an open carry state you no longer receive a CHL, you receive a LTC.
Thank you. That clears up my addled recall memory.

Mel

Post by Mel »

Also the LTC allows you to carry within 1,000' of a school. i.e. driving through a "School Zone".
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

and campus carry
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”