Official DPS stats on LTC for 2023

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Official DPS stats on LTC for 2023

Post by Paladin »

Active License Holders and Instructors 2023 (PDF)

The number of LTCs has slightly declined and the number of instructors has slightly increased since last year.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Paladin

Re: Official DPS stats on LTC for 2023

Post by Paladin »

Looks like the number of Texas LTCs peaked in 2021, same year as Constitutional Carry went into effect.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

I have several past students who allowed their LTC's to expire during the pandemic. A couple have requested a class to get theirs back. I'm sure that's not an outlier.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

Dr. John Lott in his 2021 testimony before the Texas House Committee regarding permit less carry stated that for a while following passage, LTC applications would go down, but after a while and if advantages of having a license were better known that applications would eventually go up. I am still seeing a fairly constant steam of folks in my LTC classes.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

I don't regularly schedule classes. And only give classes via contacts through friends and family. So I'm not a good gauge of what's out there. I am getting requests for kids of friends and family who want to get their licenses at 18.

ORIGINAL TEX

Post by ORIGINAL TEX »

I understood the premise behind "Constitutional Carry", but was not really a fan of it because I felt that if someone is going to carry a sidearm in public, I would prefer they understand the state's lethal force laws, deescalation tactics, and at least be able to hit what they shoot at. Even though I think the practical test is insanely easy, I have seen people completely miss the target at 7 yards and that was without the stress factor from an actual attack.

I encourage people to get their LTC/CHL and also a non-resident license (like Utah) that is honored by Texas, as a back up. There are also places you can carry with a license that are still illegal under constitutional carry.

I think it would be a good idea for the state to pass a law encouraging people to get the license, such as being exempt from sales tax on firearms, firearm accessories, ammunition, etc.

Come to think of it wasn't the poll tax declared illegal a long time ago because it was a tax on a "right", so why is a tax on another "right" (read 2nd Amendment) allowed. Just saying.

One of the issues I have heard with constitutional carry, but do not know if true, is that if an officer sees someone carrying that that looks as though they may be a prohibited person (gang or prison tattoos associated with a probable felon), they cannot stop them and verify they have a right to even possess a firearm.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

ORIGINAL TEX wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:37 am Come to think of it wasn't the poll tax declared illegal a long time ago because it was a tax on a "right", so why is a tax on another "right" (read 2nd Amendment) allowed. Just saying.
Agree 100%

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ORIGINAL TEX wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:37 am I think it would be a good idea for the state to pass a law encouraging people to get the license, such as being exempt from sales tax on firearms, firearm accessories, ammunition, etc.
Sounds like an interesting idea and I'd be for it, but what benefit would there be for the state to do such a thing? I'm not certain that "just because it would be a good thing to do" would be enough for politicians to get it done.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:15 pm
ORIGINAL TEX wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:37 am I think it would be a good idea for the state to pass a law encouraging people to get the license, such as being exempt from sales tax on firearms, firearm accessories, ammunition, etc.
Sounds like an interesting idea and I'd be for it, but what benefit would there be for the state to do such a thing? I'm not certain that "just because it would be a good thing to do" would be enough for politicians to get it done.
Sounds good in theory. There are point of sale systems and reporting that would have to be updated. Additionally, you're talking about reduced "revenue" for the state. Revenue that will have to be made up for somewhere else. While I'd be all for the reduced revenue being made up for by reducing costs, I don't see the political will in Austin to even ATTEMPT something like this.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

ORIGINAL TEX wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:37 am One of the issues I have heard with constitutional carry, but do not know if true, is that if an officer sees someone carrying that that looks as though they may be a prohibited person (gang or prison tattoos associated with a probable felon), they cannot stop them and verify they have a right to even possess a firearm.
The LEO could perform a "Terry Stop", but would have to have more justification than just what you were wearing.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”