Tests Show Deadly Accuracy & Startling Speed Even Inexperienced Shooters Can Achieve

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Tests Show Deadly Accuracy & Startling Speed Even Inexperienced Shooters Can Achieve

Post by Paladin »

This study was done with law enforcement in mind, but I think has relevance to LTCs as well:

Even “naive shooters,” untrained and unpracticed with handguns, are amazingly accurate in making head shots at close range, and tend to shoot for the head instinctively;
The speed with which an officer can be put behind the reactionary curve, even by assailants who have no expertise with firearms, is startling.
1. “Training that is focused on accuracy first and speed second is not going to cut it” in preparing officers for the realities of a gunfight, he told FSN. The emphasis needs to be on developing “relevant speed, especially at close distances, combined with precision shooting.” That life-saving blend is possible to achieve, but it requires specialized instruction that goes far beyond mere qualification shooting and, being a perishable skill, it demands continual reinforcement.
“Too many officers think that because they’ve been on the job for a number of years or have scored 100% on their qualifications that they’re prepared for the realities of a high-speed, close-range shoot-out. They don’t realize just how fast things are going to happen at average gunfight distances. It’s time for them to reexamine their beliefs, which definitely will not stand up to reality.
Truly many/most qualifications do a poor job evaluating relevant skills.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tests Show Deadly Accuracy & Startling Speed Even Inexperienced Shooters Can Achieve

Post by Grayling813 »

It's a somewhat obvious truth, with plenty of stories just on this forum, about LTC students who have never shot a handgun before, qualifying successfully for their license. When I took my LTC course, there was an older lady who had never shot before, didn't even own a handgun, who qualified on first attempt with a borrowed handgun. Point and shoot at 3-7 yards is fairly accurate for anyone who has no training.

Overall good article.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Tests Show Deadly Accuracy & Startling Speed Even Inexperienced Shooters Can Achieve

Post by Paladin »

Grayling813 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:20 pm It's a somewhat obvious truth, with plenty of stories just on this forum, about LTC students who have never shot a handgun before, qualifying successfully for their license. When I took my LTC course, there was an older lady who had never shot before, didn't even own a handgun, who qualified on first attempt with a borrowed handgun. Point and shoot at 3-7 yards is fairly accurate for anyone who has no training.

Overall good article.
My first introduction to point shooting was a Master Class IDPA shooter showing me that with no training in point shooting whatsoever I could make hits in the zero down (8 inch circle) portion of an IDPA target at 4 yards. With training consistent hits in an 8 inch circle at 10 yards is possible.

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:36 am This study was done with law enforcement in mind, but I think has relevance to LTCs as well:

1. “Training that is focused on accuracy first and speed second is not going to cut it” in preparing officers for the realities of a gunfight, he told FSN. The emphasis needs to be on developing “relevant speed, especially at close distances, combined with precision shooting.”
Words to train by right there. I'd also throw in movement.

Since gunfighting is principally the "fighting" part, "effective" accuracy isn't something specific; it's on a sliding scale impacted by many factors. But for the real world, I think practicing slow-fire 8" torso groupings at 25 yards while never moving your feet is only marginally helpful.

Remember the Mike Tyson quote that, in a fight, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face? In an unarmed fight, you don't want to wait until the other guy lands the first blow. No bueno.

Same in a gunfight which, most often, is going to happen at close or even bad-breath distances. I'm of the belief that, in most emergency encounters, your first shot doesn't have to be perfectly placed; it just has to be as safe as possible to any innocents and it has to land somewhere that's gonna really get the bad guy's attention.

We all know the Mozambique drill, but one I practice regularly is the Zipper. Assuming the emergency goes to Code Black at four feet or less:
  • Get off the X one step sideways or diagonally
  • While drawing to compressed retention-ready, lower part of the gun indexed against the side of the pectoral muscle, and
  • Getting a round off, point-shooting fashion, to the bad guy's center of gravity, call it the lower pelvis to about the navel (this means the round is aimed down and a miss would impact the ground within around 10 feet or so)
  • Move again, this time a step backward or diagonally backward to create more distance and get off the X you'd just moved to
  • Press out just until the hands join in retention-ready and point-shoot again but at a higher POI: around middle of the torso
  • Move backward or diagonally another step while pressing out to a sight-aimed shot at the pericardial cavity in a circle about 6" in size (the average human heart is about 5" long and 3.5" wide)
  • If the deadly threat still exists and the guy hasn't dropped his weapon or he, himself, hasn't dropped, move again for still more distance, slow down, and take the head shot if necessary
Same three rounds as a Mozambique--which I would practice starting at a greater distance, like 7 to 10 yards--but the Zipper (so named because the shots go from low to high) presupposes that the bad guy is close to you and you see that a gun or knife is being brought into play. Objective is to move fast and get inside his OODA loop...deliver the first punch and not be exactly where he expects you to be when you do it.

The round from compressed retention-ready can be fired remarkably quickly. And the technique can be abbreviated if the distance to target is slightly greater, omitting the compressed shot and starting with point-shooting to the torso in retention-ready. In fact, most ranges won't allow shot #1 to be practiced live-fire, so you typically have to simulate the first round anyway. And since the "press-out" from compressed retention-ready levels the muzzle like you would with an old-school "rock-out" cowboy move, you can always also practice loosing a one-handed point-shooting CoM round before joining with the off-hand.

I'm no authority about this stuff, and I realize this is very different if you're a LEO and operating under departmental regulations. But it always made sense to me to practice with different distances in mind. And the amount of handgun shooting I do to 25 yards and beyond is a small fraction, like, very small. I'm not the guy who'll be attempting a hostage shot with a Glock at 50 yards. :???: And stuff with Gabe Suarez and others got me very conscious of that gnarly "X" and why you never want to stay there. Boxing metaphor again: stick and move.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”