Regaining LTC/CHL after criminal charges dropped

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MojoTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Regaining LTC/CHL after criminal charges dropped

Post by MojoTexas »

Short summary is that I was arrested for assault family violence over a year ago. I was completely innocent of the charges, but my LTC was revoked because it was considered a violent crime.

After a year of slowly grinding through the legal system, the prosecutor eventually dismissed the charges, because of a lack of evidence against me. I am very relieved to have my name cleared, and I plan to pursue expunction as soon as it's available to me, but I would also like to get my license back.

Does anyone know what the process is for regaining my LTC after all charges are dismissed? Do I have to be patient and wait for TX DPS to reach out to me, or is there a process I need to follow?

Also, I am aware that we have constitutional carry now, but I would still like my license for reciprocity purposes when traveling.

Any info greatly appreciated!
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Regaining LTC/CHL after criminal charges dropped

Post by carlson1 »

I am glad your charges were dismissed. I would expect you would need to contact DPS. I doubt they will reach out to you.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Was your license "revoked" or "suspended"?... I assume it was "suspended", since you were not yet convicted...

According to the DPS website, your license should be reinstated, assuming it did not expire while it was suspended...

I suggest calling DPS and asking whether there is something you need to do to get the suspension lifted and your license re-issued.

Emphasis is mine...
https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/handg ... tions-faqs
3. My Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) was suspended due to a pending charge; does this mean I am never eligible again?

It depends on the type of charge and whether you are subsequently convicted or placed on probation. If you are acquitted of the pending charge, your license will be reinstated if it did not expire during the time of the suspension.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

I wanted to post an update, in case it helps someone else.

My criminal case was dismissed on January 26, 2024. I received a letter (email) from DPS on February 15, 2024. My address has changed during the time that my LTC was suspended, so I didn't get the mailed letter. On February 28, 2024, I received another email saying the license had been returned by the post office as undeliverable (due to the address change).

So...I just now submitted a change of address request online, paid my $25, and hopefully I will have my updated LTC soon.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Less than 1 month after disposition they tried to send your license back to you..

Kudos again to DPS for staying on top of such things. :thumbs2:

I wonder if you could have submitted an address change (would that have been an available action in the system online?) while your license was in limbo...?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”