Can civilians carry handcuffs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can civilians carry handcuffs?

Post by C-dub »

The45Guy wrote:I have been trained and am certified the same way LEOs are as it was part of my job. 1st thing you must realize is that it is illegal and can be considered kidknapping if you hold someone against their will. 2nd dozens of police officers are severely injured or killed every year by attempting to improperly handcuff someone because they get complacent and dont follow the procedures if someone seems to be complying. I have seen it. 3rd You are legally responsible for anyone you put handcuffs on. If that person tries to run while cuffed and falls down and suffers injury or runs into the street and gets hit by a car guess who the attorneys are coming after for hospital bills and all the other good stuff. They do have handcuffing certification courses which are very informative but do you really want that responsability? I never carry mine when im not at work.
How in the Wide World of Sports did you find this 10 year old thread and then decide to reply to it?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

parabelum wrote:Yea, don't be a mall ninja...leave the handcuffs for other...occasions... :evil2:
Actually, best revolver lock I've found; swing the cylinder out, cuff it through the frame. Optionally, cuff it to something secure.

Sport Coach
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sport Coach »

KD5NRH wrote:
parabelum wrote:Yea, don't be a mall ninja...leave the handcuffs for other...occasions... :evil2:
Actually, best revolver lock I've found; swing the cylinder out, cuff it through the frame. Optionally, cuff it to something secure.
Yeah. When I was a kid and had gone on a career day at the police station I bought some handcuffs. I used them to lock up my skate board. Is that what you're talking about with "other" uses???? I'll go ask my wife. :evil2:
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Just in case Mrs. parabelum reads this, I'll just reserve the right to remain silent. :smilelol5:

No comment. :shock:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

parabelum wrote:Just in case Mrs. parabelum reads this, I'll just reserve the right to remain silent. :smilelol5:

It appears you had the right, but not the ability. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote:
parabelum wrote:Just in case Mrs. parabelum reads this, I'll just reserve the right to remain silent. :smilelol5:

It appears you had the right, but not the ability. ;-)
Tater? Is that you? :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

C-dub wrote: How in the Wide World of Sports did you find this 10 year old thread and then decide to reply to it?
I've noticed this phenomenon on many forums... New guy joins and posts to an old, dead thread. I've always wondered why...

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It's OK. Some subjects are timeless. The administration and moderators frown on opening up new threads on existing topics and kill a few threads every day. So the alternative is to find old threads on topics that a poster finds interesting.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Liberty wrote:It's OK. Some subjects are timeless. The administration and moderators frown on opening up new threads on existing topics and kill a few threads every day. So the alternative is to find old threads on topics that a poster finds interesting.
I get that for threads that are fairly recent... but after several years? Many times the thread is no longer relevant, or the person that they are responding to hasn't been on the forum in years! :headscratch

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I have no problem with necro-posts.

If some do, they aren't required to read/participate in these posts, are they...

Answer: No, of course not - Don't open any post you find not to your taste, unless of course sport complaining is your thing...then by all means complain away. (while others quietly laugh at you...)

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

cyphertext wrote:
C-dub wrote: How in the Wide World of Sports did you find this 10 year old thread and then decide to reply to it?
I've noticed this phenomenon on many forums... New guy joins and posts to an old, dead thread. I've always wondered why...
Keep in mind that, for the 'new guy', even the old threads are new threads. The dates on these topics aren't always evident. If a person searches a topic, and joins to comment on it, there isn't a whole lot of indication of how old it is.
NRA lifetime member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Cordage is the sailor's best friend and won't get you in trouble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMtzGyd9cCc

Secure that with a locking knot and you can use it for rescue, or, in dire circumstances, as a zombie restraint.

Bodeneth

Post by Bodeneth »

Personally, I dont think it's a wise ideer. Altho I dont believe that it is illegal to own or carry handcuffs, I would strongly advise against doing it.

I totally understand your reasoning for considering carrying handcuffs. If you have a habit of being in situations where your shirt rides up, or something else moves out of place, and anyone observing makes a stink about seeing your otherwise concealed handgun, I can see why you may ponder that option. However, in reality, if you are carrying cuffs on your belt, concealed along with your handgun, you may very well attract negative attn from not only your fellow citizens, but from the police as well.

The whole CHL badge and handcuff issue is a bad idea for civilians. Even tho you arent outright declaring or verbally stating that you are a LEO, in a big way you are trying to create the illusion that you are a LEO, and therefore are, from a certain perspective, pretending to be a LEO, which we all know is a felonious act. All it would take is one person calling 911 and reporting that they think a person that is pretending to be a LEO is beebopping around town with a gun and cuffs on their belt, and in short order you will find yourself in the back seat of a police cruiser, charged with impersonating a LEO. Your freedom and money would be gone, along with, I suspect, an automatic end to your CHL carrying days.

If you are legally carrying, and you arent in a 30.06 and 30.07 location, who cares if people see your handgun? You are doing nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral. As time goes by, the general populice of Texas is growing more and more accustomed to seeing guns on their fellow citizens' belts. If they overreact to the point that they apptoach you, or call the police to "report" you, it is they who will be set straight about the law, and how it is a waste of everyone's time to report a perfectly legal situation.

I always carry concealed....or at least that's what I intend to do 100% of the time. Yesterday I walked into a Valero to get something to drink. As I stood in line awaiting my turn to check out, the guy standing behind me leaned forward and said...."cool looking pistol you have there bro" . For a split second I cringed, for I had screwed up, got sloppy, and allowed my gun to be publicly viewable. Earlier, as I drove around town, the side of the butt end of my handgun was poking into my skin, so I did what most people do in that situation and tucked my shirt tail in between the grip and my skin. When I entered the store I simply forgot to cover up my gun, thereby showing anyone behind me that I was carrying. As I stated already, I cringed for a couple seconds, then realized its not a big deal. I simply covered it up and told the guy...thanks mate.
My Springfield Armory XD 45 Mod 2 with a 3.3in barrel rides around in an Aliengear IWB 3.0, mounted on a Bigfoot / Aliengear gunbelt.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I own a pair and will not carry. I bought them in case of a bad guy coming into my home and I would only use them if I felt safe. Figured if I'm waiting for the police why not subdue the bad guy?

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Bodeneth wrote:If you are legally carrying, and you arent in a 30.06 and 30.07 location, who cares if people see your handgun? You are doing nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral
:iagree:

Very healthy attitude, and the reasoning that keeps me firmly in favor of open carry even if I don't actively practice the right.

Open carry is fine for those who wish to do so, and it's great for those who don't because it provides a nice comfort zone. It removes the question of printing or accidental display, neither of which is a crime under the law but may be alarming to people who don't get it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”