CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RubenZ
Posts in topic: 4

Can civilians carry handcuffs?

Post by RubenZ »

So I got to thinking.

I don't like IWB. I like OWB carry and I always wear my shirt untucked or in winter a light jacket. BUT, what if one got a handcuff holster and placed it in front of their Gun Holster say like at the 2 o'clock position with handcuffs in it. That way if you accidentally showed any sheep would think you were just undercover because you appeared to be LEO and would be less inclined to call the COPS.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

Sheeple really don't care, and seldom notice.

Why would you want to appear to be LEO?

No offense intended, but to me what you propose is pretty much the same as using a CHL badge.

Anygunanywhere but not cuffs or badges.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
RubenZ

Post by RubenZ »

anygunanywhere wrote:No offense intended, but to me what you propose is pretty much the same as using a CHL badge.
I guess just so that in case my shirt was to blow up or something and someone saw my CCW they would see the cuffs first and assume I'm LEO. Just kind of like tricking them as to avoid conflict and them calling police and blah blah.

I guess it was a dumb question LOL. I was just thinking.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jbirds1210 »

I do not think that keeping handcuffs on your belt is a good idea. Be what you are.....A CHL holder with a concealed gun. Any illusion that you are trying to create with other equipment is a bad decision IMO.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

Seems to me your concern is expositing your weapon more than wanting to carry handcuffs or impersonate a LEO. You should be concerned but experience teaches that most non-CHL holders don't notice. IWB or some other method is better because it hides most of the gun and holster. But, I have carried OWB. Just make sure you hold on to the bottom of your shirt so it doesn't blow up. Good news, most wouldn't think you were carrying a gun even seeing most of a holster. Seeing holster and gun they would. One way I combat that is wear two shirts. A t-shirt or tank top untucked under a button-up shirt left open. I would suggest you look into IWB more. Bigger pants help and a good holster are a must. I have tuckable IWB holsters so I can dress how I want or need. I carry 3 o'clock or 2:30 depending on the size of the weapon I am carrying. If you have to go OWB then wear more than one shirt and you will see how easy it is to hide even a large gun. It also seems to help with the heat a bit.

chewy555
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chewy555 »

If you dont have the cuffs on and your shirt blows and the weapon is seen its ok, under the law you have not done anything wrong. But add the cuffs and you might have if a police officer sees it.
H&K USP 45
Taurus Tracker .357
Taurus 1911

Topic author
RubenZ

Post by RubenZ »

TRUE. I guess it was a dumb idea. I just got my CHL Sept 1. I'm just getting used to what works, what holsters are going to do good etc.

chewy555
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chewy555 »

RubenZ wrote:TRUE. I guess it was a dumb idea. I just got my CHL Sept 1. I'm just getting used to what works, what holsters are going to do good etc.
Its not a dumb idea, just one that I would say you rethink before you do.
Finding out what holsters work and which ones dont is part of the "fun" of it. I dont have alot of holsters but I have a few that I dont use any more. Thats just part of carrying.
H&K USP 45
Taurus Tracker .357
Taurus 1911

Renegade

Re: Can civilians carry handcuffs?

Post by Renegade »

RubenZ wrote:So I got to thinking.

I don't like IWB. I like OWB carry and I always wear my shirt untucked or in winter a light jacket. BUT, what if one got a handcuff holster and placed it in front of their Gun Holster say like at the 2 o'clock position with handcuffs in it. That way if you accidentally showed any sheep would think you were just undercover because you appeared to be LEO and would be less inclined to call the COPS.
I understand your logic, as I see plainclothes cops with guns, badges, cuffs etc. and think nothing of it (Of course they could be terrorists and tricked me too). Extending this logic further, you might as well get a CHL badge.

My theory is make a better effort at CONCEALING your gun than trying to find gimmicks to fool people into thinking you are a cop when you fail to conceal.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

You are in reality better off just using a nice OWB holster, over any other deception. BGs don't wear nice stuff, and folks that do are generally seen as above board.
Of course, it can also be too gaudy. I only wear my BBQ rig to BBQs and funerals. :lol:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flintknapper »

RubenZ wrote:So I got to thinking.

Hi Ruben,

I am not aware of any laws that forbid you from carrying handcuffs concealed or otherwise. But, as others have already expressed....I don't think it is a good idea for the purpose you cited.

If you are trained in the use of handcuffs for restraint....and believe you might someday have a legitimate use for them, then feel free to carry them.

Be aware... that any BG that spots them on you is going to assume you are LEO. So, if he has any notion of doing you harm...then you will become the first target. The same holds true for open carry....even though I am a proponent for it.

Too, if you ever use a pair of handcuffs....you have effectively "arrested" that person and you become responsible for their safety.

I carry a pair about 75% of the time, but not for the reason you cited...and not because I think I am LEO.

Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Snake Doctor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Snake Doctor »

flintknapper wrote:
Sweet Mary'n'Joseph that is one good looking setup.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Leave the cuffs at home.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Snake Doctor

Post by Snake Doctor »

Snake Doctor wrote:Sweet Mary'n'Joseph that is one good looking setup.
Oh, but yea... Leave out the cuffs, Ruben.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”