CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Corona
Posts in topic: 1

Dealing with Anti's and the dreaded "Canada" argument

Post by Corona »

Hey all.

Great forum here, and I've been a reader for quite some time now.

Where can I get some statistics (or a list of articles) on incidents in the US where someone with a CHL stopped someone's murdering rampage in a public place?

The latest Illinois college event has spurred some discussion on another message board (not related to CHL) and a canadian member has thrown out the "you need more restrictions like Canada, look at our crime rates" argument to me.

thanks!
-Corona

45 4 life

Re: Dealing with Anti's and the dreaded "Canada" argument

Post by 45 4 life »

After I read your post I performed a quick search and found this. It should be interesting to here what your canadian friend says about it.

archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/1/24/150547.shtml
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Tell the canadian anti-rights individual that for a country that bans weapons they sure do have a lot of bad guys shooting folks.

I am in Edmonton right now. Go to the Globe and Mail", the national propaganda rag and do some searches. Try Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, Edmonton, and Vancouver for searches.

I am very careful about where I go up here. When I was staying in downtown Edmonton a few years back there was a drive-by shooting almost in front of the Hotel McDonald, which is a really nice hotel.

I will take USA anyday over this land of subjects. I bow to no royalty.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

89 pages of gun facts Gun Facts should help

And if that doesn't help smacking them repeatedly until they are unconscious with 89 pages of printed facts will make you feel better
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

Canada has had its share of shooting rampages. Just keep in mind that they have only one tenth of our population (approximately) so the absolute number will be fewer.

Ask your Canadian friends to explain their much higher (than ours) rate of "hot" burglaries - burglaries committed while the residents are home. IIRC, it's similar to that of the UK - about 4 or 5 times higher than ours, mainly because in America a burglar breaking into an occuppied home is at a great risk of getting shot.

Sure, their homicide rate is lower than ours. But IIRC, our homicide rate for homicides committed with weapons other than guns is higher than their total rate (including all types of weapons). For a lot of reasons, our society is simply more violent than theirs (though their rates are climbing and they are slowly catching up with us).

Then ask them if they think it is really a better world where the weak are at the mercy of the strong.

Mao said, "Power flows from the barrel of a gun." He was right.

I don't blame Canadians for being jealous. They are living right next door to the greatest country in the history of the planet.

God Bless America, and God Bless Texas! :txflag:
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

BambooShoots

Post by BambooShoots »

Everytime someone says something as asinine as "I don't believe in guns," I reply "You mean you don't think they exist?"

Their way of thinking makes as much sense as saying "I don't believe in gravel."
CHL Class taken: 3/5/08
CHL Packet Sent: 3/24/08
CHL Packet Recieved by DPS: 3/25/08
Check Cleared: 4/1/08
PIN Number Recieved: 4/12/08
CHL Licence Issued/Active: 6/1/08
In the mailbox: 6/5/08
72 days.

1st Renewal
Online app.: 1/3/13
Class: 1/27/13
Mailed: 1/28/13
Paperwork received: 1/31/13

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I despise racism, so I hesitate to post anything that suggests otherwise, but I recall seeing a statistical analysis a few years ago that when you compare demographic to demographic, all rates of crime are almost equal in both countries.

That means instead of comparing the total population of the U.S. to the total population of Canada (even on a per/100,000 basis), if you compare rural whites to rural whites, urban blacks to urban blacks, immigrants from South/Central America to immigrants from South/Central America, etc., etc., the rates are almost identical.

Canada also has a different philosophy about drug prohibition; while I don't want to stir up the legalization debate again, it's undeniable that a great deal of violent crime is because of drug prohibition. (You see darn few drive-by shootings between owners of competing tobacco shacks or convenience stores.)

mgood

Post by mgood »

KBCraig wrote:You see darn few drive-by shootings between owners of competing tobacco shacks or convenience stores.
:smilelol5:

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

As a Canadian, I have had the luxury experiencing both gun laws. I feel American gun law is too loose while the Canadian law is too strict. However, the American law is too loose on criminals while the Canadian law is too strict on decent citizens - guns become almost non-existing in large cities.

You must also understand Canada is a very socialized and liberal country where refugees get more monthly pay from the government than its citizens. Liberal is not bad and I used to be an liberal, but when everybody stops to be responsible for his/her own action, it's not liberal, it's madness.

You must understand, crime rate does not have much to do with good gun law. What I would call a good gun is that giving automatic life sentence for:
1. any felony committed with any type of firearm
2. any felon caught carrying any type of firearm or ammo

It's late. i don't know what i am saying.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

OK, if you want to talk about crime rate, don't look at "gun" related crime. Look at violent crime as a whole - rape, murder, robbery, gang etc. Also look at how many crimes are committed by recidivists.

If you really want to off crime, (1) longer sentence for any violent crime, (2) life sentence for any crime committed with a firearm and for any repeated offenders, (3) hold those parole board responsible if they release someone who commits another crime, and (4) actually create a channel for criminals to work inside and outside of prison.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

KBCraig wrote:I despise racism, so I hesitate to post anything that suggests otherwise, but I recall seeing a statistical analysis a few years ago that when you compare demographic to demographic, all rates of crime are almost equal in both countries.
I believe you're right about this.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

Zero_G

Post by Zero_G »

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

England doesn't count multiple murders or multiple crimes that occur at the same time. It is counted as one crime. Is Canada the same way. I know much of their law reflects English law and it may be that they have a much higher rate of so called "gun crime" than we do per 100,000 but it isn't reflected because the crime is counted as only the worst crime committed and to only one victim. And I don't think they count any crime until a conviction has been made in England. So, put that together and a clear picture of what is really going on will never be seen. The crime is hidden behind a lack of conviction which may depend on how good a lawyer is or is not.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodacious

Post by Bodacious »

Civillian Gun Self-Defense Blog links to several news stories daily about civilians defending themselvs with a firearm. There are thousands of entries.

Penn

Post by Penn »

shootthesheet wrote: And I don't think they count any crime until a conviction has been made in England. So, put that together and a clear picture of what is really going on will never be seen. The crime is hidden behind a lack of conviction which may depend on how good a lawyer is or is not.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I just find that hard to believe. If a serial killer isn't caught, than the murders aren't counted as murders?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”