Crime Statistics: CHL v. General Population

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Crime Statistics: CHL v. General Population

Post by mojo84 »

ELB wrote:The reason I noticed the error above is I was transferring some of the data from Charles' pdf file to an excel workbook so I could experiment with some graphical representations.

The thing that makes graphical representations so hard is that LTC'ers are so law-abiding and convictions so rare that when you compare them to any other number variables, from active LTCs to the population of Texas, the tiny little conviction rate is overwhelmed and vanishes to a puny little pixel of color at the bottom of the graph.

This is the only decent (graphically speaking) result I was able to come up with so far:

It would be interesting, in support of the bill to remove remaining prohibitions on LTC carry, to present the hearing committee with a chart that covers one wall entirely, and maybe part of the ceiling, and then point to a little bitty splash of color down by the baseboard and say,
"See that? Way down there by the baseboard? No, not that one, that big dot is a cockroach, look at the smaller dot. That's what the BradyMomsBloomersAgainstHonestCitizens says will cause untold carnage and bloodshed in the state of Texas if you don't disarm the other million or so LTCers."

:thumbs2:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

ELB wrote:The reason I noticed the error above is I was transferring some of the data from Charles' pdf file to an excel workbook so I could experiment with some graphical representations.

The thing that makes graphical representations so hard is that LTC'ers are so law-abiding and convictions so rare that when you compare them to any other number variables, from active LTCs to the population of Texas, the tiny little conviction rate is overwhelmed and vanishes to a puny little pixel of color at the bottom of the graph.

This is the only decent (graphically speaking) result I was able to come up with so far:

It would be interesting, in support of the bill to remove remaining prohibitions on LTC carry, to present the hearing committee with a chart that covers one wall entirely, and maybe part of the ceiling, and then point to a little bitty splash of color down by the baseboard and say,
"See that? Way down there by the baseboard? No, not that one, that big dot is a cockroach, look at the smaller dot. That's what the BradyMomsBloomersAgainstHonestCitizens says will cause untold carnage and bloodshed in the state of Texas if you don't disarm the other million or so LTCers."
:iagree:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

This gets the point across. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ELB wrote:There is an error in the 2004 numbers in the report CHL crime comparison 2002-2015.

The Active License Holders for that year should be 239,940, per the DPS report at https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/r ... tr2004.pdf. The CHL crime comparisons 2002-2015 has 239,863 for 2004, the same as the preceding year, which is what tipped me off. It doesn't make a huge diff (barely makes a small diff) in the calculations or conclusions, but it is not right.
Thanks, I fixed the error. As you noted, it didn't change the ratios because it was off by only 77 people. I find it hard to believe that the CHL population went up by only 77 people in a year! My how times have changed.

Chas.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I only have one question: have we hit the one million mark for current (active) LTCs?

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

K.Mooneyham wrote:I only have one question: have we hit the one million mark for current (active) LTCs?
viewtopic.php?t=84154
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

2015 Crime Stats have been published by DPS:
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/R ... rt2015.pdf

Charles Cotton's analysis of the 2015 Crime Stats:
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... -_2015.pdf

Thanks to all of my fellow LTC/CHL holders for obeying and upholding the law.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”