Meyerson Symphony Center

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Kythas
Senior Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:06 am
Location: McKinney, TX

Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby Kythas » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 am

Anyone been to the Meyerson Symphony Center recently and know if they're 30.06 posted? I didn't see them listed in Texas3006.com but thought I'd ask here just in case. If they're not posted, do they have metal detectors?

Speaking of metal detectors, what do we do if we enter a place with metal detectors but is not 30.06 posted? It's legal for us to carry there, but obviously we'd be outed.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

User avatar

barres
Senior Member
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:58 pm
Location: Prison City, Texas

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby barres » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:00 pm

General rule of thumb when facing metal detectors is to expect a verbal notice as soon as they find out what set off their metal detector, so long as it is a location that can give effective notice under 30.06. For example the Texas State Fair is on public property, so they cannot prohibit CHL's, so they must allow CHl's to bypass their security setup. That does not sound like your case.

To answer your first question, I have no idea. I don't even know where the Meyerson Symphony Center is located. Sorry.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts: 17563
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby Keith B » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Per their website at http://www.meyersonsymphonycenter.com/promo.cfm, the Meyerson is 'Owned and managed by the City of Dallas, Office of Cultural Affairs'. IANAL, but would think it couldn't be posted and wouldn't be off-limits unless attending a school sponsored function like a band or choir concert or a school play.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Crossfire
Moderator
Posts: 5359
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:27 am
Location: DFW
Contact:

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby Crossfire » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:33 pm

Been there many times. (Our son is a bassoonist.)

Not posted. And not a part of Dallas I would want to be un-armed in.
Texas LTC and Utah CFP Instructor, MorphoTrust Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com


FlynJay
Senior Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:58 am
Location: League City, TX

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby FlynJay » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Keith B wrote:Per their website at http://www.meyersonsymphonycenter.com/promo.cfm, the Meyerson is 'Owned and managed by the City of Dallas, Office of Cultural Affairs'. IANAL, but would think it couldn't be posted and wouldn't be off-limits unless attending a school sponsored function like a band or choir concert or a school play.


Off topic but, school sponsered events are only off limits if they are held on school grounds. Interscholastic events are off limits anywhere; a band or choir concert or school play is not an interscholastic event.

IANAL
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."


txflyer
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:43 am

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby txflyer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:23 pm

TX_shooter wrote:Off topic but, school sponsered events are only off limits if they are held on school grounds. Interscholastic events are off limits anywhere; a band or choir concert or school play is not an interscholastic event.


But 46.03 states "any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted"

Doesn't that mean if a school goes to the Meyerson, that constitutes a school sponsored event on "any grounds"?

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts: 17563
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby Keith B » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:29 pm

TX_shooter wrote:Off topic but, school sponsored events are only off limits if they are held on school grounds. Interscholastic events are off limits anywhere; a band or choir concert or school play is not an interscholastic event.

IANAL


I don't interpret it that way. TPC 46.03 states 'on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;'

It does not state school grounds, but any grounds or building (if it was only on school property, any building would be off limits anyway). It also does not state interscholastic events, just a school sponsored event. In turn, the old question comes up about the zoo if they have a field trip. Again, IANAL, don't play one on TV and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but believe if you are participating in (i.e. attending or viewing) that school event, then carry is off limits to you.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Topic author
Kythas
Senior Member
Posts: 1685
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:06 am
Location: McKinney, TX

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby Kythas » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 pm

In case anyone's interested, there are no 30.06 signs, no metal detectors, and no wands at the Meyerson.

And Huey Lewis puts on a decent show. :lol::
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle


FlynJay
Senior Member
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:58 am
Location: League City, TX

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby FlynJay » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:58 pm

Keith B wrote:
TX_shooter wrote:Off topic but, school sponsored events are only off limits if they are held on school grounds. Interscholastic events are off limits anywhere; a band or choir concert or school play is not an interscholastic event.

IANAL


I don't interpret it that way. TPC 46.03 states 'on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;'

It does not state school grounds, but any grounds or building (if it was only on school property, any building would be off limits anyway). It also does not state interscholastic events, just a school sponsored event. In turn, the old question comes up about the zoo if they have a field trip. Again, IANAL, don't play one on TV and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but believe if you are participating in (i.e. attending or viewing) that school event, then carry is off limits to you.


See I read it this way: The "any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted" is defining "physical premises of a school or educational institution" the same way SCOTUS ruled in the Heller case. This would also follow the structure of the rest of the sections where each subsection lists an individual place.

"interscholastic events" are covered in 46.035.

It would be great if Chas could chime in on this.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."


maximus2161
Senior Member
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:15 pm

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby maximus2161 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:18 am

Does anyone know if they are posted 30.06 or allow concealed carry at the DSO? Attending this weekend and would like to know their policy on CCW. Do they have metal detectors? DOnt want to carry my handgun only to have to walk back to my car to put it away.


Bruin98
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 am

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby Bruin98 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:25 pm

As of May 2016 (my last visit), the Myerson is not posted 30.06.

There werent any metal detectors either. There were several DPD officers at the entrance, but they didnt notice or didnt care what I had concealed.


Bruin98
Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 am

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby Bruin98 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:30 pm

FlynJay wrote:
Keith B wrote:Per their website at http://www.meyersonsymphonycenter.com/promo.cfm, the Meyerson is 'Owned and managed by the City of Dallas, Office of Cultural Affairs'. IANAL, but would think it couldn't be posted and wouldn't be off-limits unless attending a school sponsored function like a band or choir concert or a school play.


Off topic but, school sponsered events are only off limits if they are held on school grounds. Interscholastic events are off limits anywhere; a band or choir concert or school play is not an interscholastic event.

IANAL


Not so sure about this one. Every year my school volunteers at a pretty big event in the middle of a pretty big Dallas city. One of my co-teachers helps me chaperone our volunteers. We both leave our weapons at home that day because we are at a school sponsored function.

I'd like to carry at this particular event because of where it is located, but since I am chaperoning school children--I think that makes it a school sponsored event for anybody in my group.


MeMelYup
Senior Member
Posts: 1867
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby MeMelYup » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Bruin98 wrote:
FlynJay wrote:
Keith B wrote:Per their website at http://www.meyersonsymphonycenter.com/promo.cfm, the Meyerson is 'Owned and managed by the City of Dallas, Office of Cultural Affairs'. IANAL, but would think it couldn't be posted and wouldn't be off-limits unless attending a school sponsored function like a band or choir concert or a school play.


Off topic but, school sponsered events are only off limits if they are held on school grounds. Interscholastic events are off limits anywhere; a band or choir concert or school play is not an interscholastic event.

IANAL


Not so sure about this one. Every year my school volunteers at a pretty big event in the middle of a pretty big Dallas city. One of my co-teachers helps me chaperone our volunteers. We both leave our weapons at home that day because we are at a school sponsored function.

I'd like to carry at this particular event because of where it is located, but since I am chaperoning school children--I think that makes it a school sponsored event for anybody in my group.

As a Chaperone or volunteer for an event, you become part of that event, you are a participant. If you are an observer passing in a crowd, you are not participating in that event.


Bwana_TX
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:03 am

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby Bwana_TX » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 am

Can someone with more recent experience confirm 1) there are no 3006 signs present at the venue; and 2) have carried at a non-school event there?

Many Thanks!

User avatar

olafpfj
Senior Member
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:03 pm
Location: Grapevine

Re: Meyerson Symphony Center

Postby olafpfj » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 am

Its not posted and people carry. I didnt due to an employer restriction. Worked there every day for several years. Occassionally a rental group would post 8.5x11 signs for their event but they werent enforceable.

There are usually a few carrying in the audience and often onstage depending on the concert.

On another note I was recently at the Winspear opera house and their 30.06 signs are gone and replaced with 30.07 only.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hack Job, Majestic-12 [Bot], mescobar_rpls and 6 guests