Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

stars200
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Post by stars200 »

Does anyone know if the Allen event Center in Allen Texas has been reported to the AG and if so what were the results. My family have season ticket there for the minor league hockey team, which I know is off limits anyway. However, since OC went into effect the have been posting sandwich boards out front at the events for 30.06 and .07, Since we only have been going to the hockey games, have not pushed the issue since we cannot carry anyway.

Tonight we attended an open house with a meet and greet with the coach and a Q and A session. Tonight as you would expect in a city owned facility the postings were not set up, Could see them in the entrance over to the side stored. However, they have added metal detectors and a table for searching bags. Over the yeas we have become friends with many of the ushers working at the AEC. We are being told that they put up the signs and use the detectors for all events now, Which really gets me frustrated, I noticed all of the old printing on the glass doors is now gone, Was too small to read anyway but had noticed they were gone,

I have also noticed that on the http://alleneventcenter.com/ site they have removed all instances of guns under prohibited items and vaguely mention items deemed dangerous.

It seems to me that they may have been turned in and are trying to play the system that if they get reported can say the signs have been removed, The sandwich boards are taken inside every night,

Tonight since only 20 people or so were there they were not wanding and the walkthrough detectors were off. Since I pretty well know everyone there tonight I said since this is not a sporting event I was not going through the detector and walked around it. Had a few looks but nothing said, That was before I knew they were off.

There is a concert there tomorrow night, Sadie from Duck Dynasty will be doing her thing. I was told the metal detectors will be on and the signs out. If I get out of work at a decent time I may stop by and take photos and go through the report process but wanted to ask if they had been reported already.

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasCajun »

Regardless of whether or not they've already been reported, you should go through the process and file a complaint if they are posting non-professional sporting events.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

sixer-sxt-3.7

Post by sixer-sxt-3.7 »

oljames3 wrote:...
Report this to the AG. I notified the Elgin ISD, submitted form to AG and here. The ISDs seem to think all school property is a school.
Didn't see this addressed - but through texas30.06, I found the complaint was answered here:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/fi ... n_Bldg.pdf

But it does help, at least a little, to clear up what Texas considers as an "educational institution". Maybe.

Longhorn1986
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Longhorn1986 »

Good morning everyone,

I just sent this off to the George Library in Richmond last night. We will see how this goes:

Kenny Chao
Branch Manager
George Memorial Library

Dear Mr. Chao,

My name is Mxxxxxx Xxxxxxx and I am a resident of Fort Bend County. I stopped by the George Memorial Library today at lunchtime and noticed that you have posted Texas Penal Code 46.03 signage indicating that firearms are prohibited in the library regardless of licensing.

Per section 46.03 which you cite, individuals possessing a valid license to carry may only be prohibited under the following conditions:

during school-sponsored activities on library grounds (Texas Penal Code §46.03(a)(1))

during early voting or on election day if the library is a polling place (Texas Penal Code §46.03(a)(2))

during a meeting of a governmental body, such as a public library district board meeting, but only in the room where the meeting is being held (Texas Penal Code §46.035(c))

Other than those specified times, a license holder may not be prohibited from carrying.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ld/librarydev ... raries.pdf

I respectfully request that you remove your signage within the three days as specified by the Texas Attorney General's office. Failure to do so will result in the filing of a complaint with and an investigation by the Texas AG office.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/apps/3006/

I urge the Fort Bend County library system to comply with the laws of Texas.

Respectfully,

Mxxxxxx Xxxxxxx

I cc'd the TSRA as well. Stuff like this in Travis Co. or Harris Co wouldn't surprise me. I expect better in Ft. Bend.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Longhorn1986 wrote:Good morning everyone,

I just sent this off to the George Library in Richmond last night. We will see how this goes:

Kenny Chao
Branch Manager
George Memorial Library

Dear Mr. Chao,

My name is Mxxxxxx Xxxxxxx and I am a resident of Fort Bend County. I stopped by the George Memorial Library today at lunchtime and noticed that you have posted Texas Penal Code 46.03 signage indicating that firearms are prohibited in the library regardless of licensing.

Per section 46.03 which you cite, individuals possessing a valid license to carry may only be prohibited under the following conditions:

during school-sponsored activities on library grounds (Texas Penal Code §46.03(a)(1))

during early voting or on election day if the library is a polling place (Texas Penal Code §46.03(a)(2))

during a meeting of a governmental body, such as a public library district board meeting, but only in the room where the meeting is being held (Texas Penal Code §46.035(c))

Other than those specified times, a license holder may not be prohibited from carrying.

I respectfully request that you remove your signage within the three days as specified by the Texas Attorney General's office. Failure to do so will result in the filing of a complaint with and an investigation by the Texas AG office.

Respectfully,

Mxxxxxx Xxxxxxx

I cc'd the TSRA as well. Stuff like this in Travis Co. or Harris Co wouldn't surprise me. I expect better in Ft. Bend.
Good letter. The only problem is that the prohibition against carry during school-sponsored events only applies to school administrators on school property. It's a bit confusing, but Charles gives a really good explanation in one of the TFC podcasts.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Kenny Chao
Branch Manager
George Memorial Library

Dear Mr. Chao,

Respectfully,

Mxxxxxx Xxxxxxx

I may be wrong, but I believe that the Fort Bend library system is claiming that they are in fact a school system and not a collection of libraries. The one in Cinco Ranch is also posted. I think we need to get some legislative clarity on what exactly is a school.

Longhorn1986

Post by Longhorn1986 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: I may be wrong, but I believe that the Fort Bend library system is claiming that they are in fact a school system and not a collection of libraries. The one in Cinco Ranch is also posted. I think we need to get some legislative clarity on what exactly is a school.
Heck, I can claim I'm Sam Houston, but that doesn't make it so. I figure once they send me a refusal or three days passes, I'll report them to the Texas AG and let him sort it out. I'm a CPA, not an attorney! :lol:

Of course, any other complaints we can get filed would certainly help our case.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Longhorn1986 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote: I may be wrong, but I believe that the Fort Bend library system is claiming that they are in fact a school system and not a collection of libraries. The one in Cinco Ranch is also posted. I think we need to get some legislative clarity on what exactly is a school.
Heck, I can claim I'm Sam Houston, but that doesn't make it so. I figure once they send me a refusal or three days passes, I'll report them to the Texas AG and let him sort it out. I'm a CPA, not an attorney! :lol:

Of course, any other complaints we can get filed would certainly help our case.
I'm a CPA as well, so we have that in common. And welcome to the forum!

sixer-sxt-3.7

Post by sixer-sxt-3.7 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I just sent this off to the George Library in Richmond last night. We will see how this goes... [Shortened to reduce post length]
I may be wrong, but I believe that the Fort Bend library system is claiming that they are in fact a school system and not a collection of libraries. The one in Cinco Ranch is also posted. I think we need to get some legislative clarity on what exactly is a school.
That has also been picked up here, as well:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=45

That's the thread I found when I noticed 46.03 posting on the George Memorial Library window a month back.

Fort Bend County posted a letter, and this was signed off by an FBC Judge :banghead:
sixer-sxt-3.7 wrote:...The "do what now?" goes all the way to the top. ;-)
But I agree - there needs to be more legislation on what Texas considers an "educational institution".

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

sixer-sxt-3.7 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I just sent this off to the George Library in Richmond last night. We will see how this goes... [Shortened to reduce post length]
That has also been picked up here, as well:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=45

That's the thread I found when I noticed 46.03 posting on the George Memorial Library window a month back.

Fort Bend County posted a letter, and this was signed off by an FBC Judge :banghead:
sixer-sxt-3.7 wrote:...The "do what now?" goes all the way to the top. ;-)
But I agree - there needs to be more legislation on what Texas considers an "educational institution".
Eliminating off limits places would be better.

Longhorn1986

Post by Longhorn1986 »

It still seems to me that the state AG needs to get involved, otherwise any screwball wearing a judge's robe could sign an order declaring an "educational" institution and they could flaunt the law.
Has the AG made any statement on that order?

Longhorn1986

Post by Longhorn1986 »

I just called up to Austin and spoke with Capt Greg Lucas of the Tx AG office. Wow! Super nice individual and very helpful and informative! :thumbs2:

He advised me that with the Cinco Ranch complaint, all Ft Bend County libraries would be affected by the final ruling. He expects further court clarification regarding this issue in the future. He is also hoping that the legislature will also give guidance on the matter.

sixer-sxt-3.7

Post by sixer-sxt-3.7 »

TexasCajun wrote:Eliminating off limits places would be better.
:cheers2:

Treybadd
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Treybadd »

Is there any way somone could break it down for me to understand this better? I am trying to figure out where these illegal signs would be and where to go to find what the law says. Am I correct in my thinking that it applies to city or county buildings for example ? Thank you in advance!

sixer-sxt-3.7

Post by sixer-sxt-3.7 »

TexasCajun wrote:Eliminating off limits places would be better.
If you don't know about it, HB 560 does this very thing. Look into it, and write your reps (I did, and the guy who drafted it).

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”