Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3929
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby ScottDLS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 am

bigity wrote:So basically these signs come down to a 'beat the rap, but not the ride' situation possibly?


The proverbial "ride" for a $200 ticket...unless we're talking court offices. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5685
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby ELB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:03 pm

I have learned that a hearing was held for the OAG's suit against the City of Austin about two or three weeks ago.

If I understand what I heard correctly, the OAG filed a motion for summary judgment, and the City a "plea to jurisdiction..." or some words to that effect. If there are any lawyers that are reading this and understand this better, by all means chime in, but I believe it is basically the City of Austin arguing that the court in which the OAG filed the lawsuit does not have jurisdiction over this matter. It is not an argument about the merits of the OAG's interpretation of the fines-for-signs law, but about the process. It's possible the OAG filed in the wrong court, but I think it more likely this is just table pounding by Austin to delay the whole process.

The judge's decisions on the motions have not been released yet, and there doesn't seem to be any good way for average Joe Texan to track things like this at the trial court level, especially two or three counties away. To the best of my knowledge this hearing was probably in the 53rd Civil District Court, Honorable Scott H. Jenkins.

As for the Waller County case, (remember, Waller County SUED a citizen who made a complaint to the OAG), it may be that there has already been a decision at the trial level and the case is on appeal, but I have no further info on that. If there is somebody who can look into the Waller County judicial system, that would be nice.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5685
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby ELB » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Oh, look what google brings up:

Waller County wins fight to keep courthouse gun ban. Maybe.

And
Texas Judge OKs County’s Courthouse Gun Ban

I had not heard of this before, altho it's almost a year old. This is the lawsuit that was filed by Waller County against Holcomb, and it affects only Waller County. The OAG has separate suits against City of Austin and Waller County, the outcome(s) of which will affect the whole state.

Aaaannnnd:
This is apparently the Waller County judge's order decreeing that "Penal Code 46.03(a)(3) prohibits all firearms and other weapons in the entire govemment building that houses a court."

https://www.scribd.com/document/3326866 ... Litigation
Last edited by ELB on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Panhandle region
Contact:

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby troglodyte » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:20 pm

bigity wrote:Are the procedures in this thread still correct?

The South Plains Fair has posted 30.06/.07 signs at the entrance to the South Plains Fairgrounds in Texas, which is owned (as far as I can tell) by Lubbock County, making the signs invalid.

I know the AG has ruled that the governmental entity cannot be fined for something a third party has done (was anything passed this last session to deal with this?), but where do I document/submit this as an invalid sign?


I'm pretty sure the South Plains Fair is owned by a private, non-profit organization, The South Plains Fair Association.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3929
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby ScottDLS » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 pm

troglodyte wrote:
bigity wrote:Are the procedures in this thread still correct?

The South Plains Fair has posted 30.06/.07 signs at the entrance to the South Plains Fairgrounds in Texas, which is owned (as far as I can tell) by Lubbock County, making the signs invalid.

I know the AG has ruled that the governmental entity cannot be fined for something a third party has done (was anything passed this last session to deal with this?), but where do I document/submit this as an invalid sign?


I'm pretty sure the South Plains Fair is owned by a private, non-profit organization, The South Plains Fair Association.


What about the land (Fairgrounds) that the Fair is held on?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Panhandle region
Contact:

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby troglodyte » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:20 pm

ScottDLS wrote:
troglodyte wrote:
bigity wrote:Are the procedures in this thread still correct?

The South Plains Fair has posted 30.06/.07 signs at the entrance to the South Plains Fairgrounds in Texas, which is owned (as far as I can tell) by Lubbock County, making the signs invalid.

I know the AG has ruled that the governmental entity cannot be fined for something a third party has done (was anything passed this last session to deal with this?), but where do I document/submit this as an invalid sign?


I'm pretty sure the South Plains Fair is owned by a private, non-profit organization, The South Plains Fair Association.


What about the land (Fairgrounds) that the Fair is held on?


Owner ID: OO10195
Owner Name: PANHANDLE SOUTH PLAINS
Owner Address: FAIR ASSN PO BOX 208
LUBBOCK,TX 79408-0208

Parcel Information
Legal Description: BLK O SEC 3 AB 24 40.48 ACS


treadlightly
Senior Member
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby treadlightly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:13 am

The Heart of Texas Fairgrounds are increasing security. Potential targets may not carry defensive handguns.

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Heart- ... 67073.html

Volunteers started using metal detection wands and checking bags for weapons last year.

That will continue this year.

Signs will be posted alerting fairgoers that there is a ban on guns and machetes.


I understand the rodeo is off limits. The rest of the facility should be welcome turf.


ninjabread
Senior Member
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby ninjabread » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Signs will be posted alerting fairgoers that there is a ban on guns and machetes.

I'm all set.

Image
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar

sjfcontrol
Senior Member
Posts: 6232
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Flint, TX

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby sjfcontrol » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:59 pm

ninjabread wrote:
Signs will be posted alerting fairgoers that there is a ban on guns and machetes.

I'm all set.

Image

This might work better...

Image
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image


bigity
Senior Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:38 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby bigity » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:10 pm

troglodyte wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
troglodyte wrote:
bigity wrote:Are the procedures in this thread still correct?

The South Plains Fair has posted 30.06/.07 signs at the entrance to the South Plains Fairgrounds in Texas, which is owned (as far as I can tell) by Lubbock County, making the signs invalid.

I know the AG has ruled that the governmental entity cannot be fined for something a third party has done (was anything passed this last session to deal with this?), but where do I document/submit this as an invalid sign?


I'm pretty sure the South Plains Fair is owned by a private, non-profit organization, The South Plains Fair Association.


What about the land (Fairgrounds) that the Fair is held on?


Owner ID: OO10195
Owner Name: PANHANDLE SOUTH PLAINS
Owner Address: FAIR ASSN PO BOX 208
LUBBOCK,TX 79408-0208

Parcel Information
Legal Description: BLK O SEC 3 AB 24 40.48 ACS


Can I ask where you found that?
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Panhandle region
Contact:

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby troglodyte » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 pm

bigity wrote:
troglodyte wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
troglodyte wrote:
bigity wrote:Are the procedures in this thread still correct?

The South Plains Fair has posted 30.06/.07 signs at the entrance to the South Plains Fairgrounds in Texas, which is owned (as far as I can tell) by Lubbock County, making the signs invalid.

I know the AG has ruled that the governmental entity cannot be fined for something a third party has done (was anything passed this last session to deal with this?), but where do I document/submit this as an invalid sign?


I'm pretty sure the South Plains Fair is owned by a private, non-profit organization, The South Plains Fair Association.


What about the land (Fairgrounds) that the Fair is held on?


Owner ID: OO10195
Owner Name: PANHANDLE SOUTH PLAINS
Owner Address: FAIR ASSN PO BOX 208
LUBBOCK,TX 79408-0208

Parcel Information
Legal Description: BLK O SEC 3 AB 24 40.48 ACS


Can I ask where you found that?


LCAD's Website. A little cross referencing names, looking at plat maps, and figuring out idiosyncrasies of government record keeping and you can find out who owns anything in Lubbock County. All counties may not be as accessible. You may have to go to the appraisal office to see the records.

Lubbock Central Appraisal District's Website

Edit: fixed URL address
Last edited by troglodyte on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.


bigity
Senior Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:38 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Postby bigity » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:40 am

Thanks, I had been using that site but I'm not familiar with the bizarre system they have slapped it on top of :)
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chasfm11 and 5 guests