CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 28

Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Please post the details of any city or other governmental entity or agency that is posting 30.06 signs where they are not warranted by Texas statute. I am particularly interested in the posting of a 30.06 sign where only a portion of a building is being used for an activity that is statutorily off-limits to CHL's. For example, some cities are putting a court clerk's office in city hall and declaring the entire building off-limits. At least one city has posted its library with 30.06 signs, solely because one of its schools occasionally has class field days there on "library days."

Thanks,
Chas.

one eyed fatman
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by one eyed fatman »

The city of Katy has a 30.06 sign at the VFW hall. The only activity the VFW is used for is renewing your license at the DPS office located inside.

USMC-COL
Posts in topic: 1

30.06 Posting

Post by USMC-COL »

The main library in downtown San Antonio has a "non-compliant" (8"x11") 30.06 sign. Problem is that it is inside the main entrance and you can't exit throught same. You have to go through the main floor and exit through a different point.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

Baytown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Baytown »

Isn't the VFW Hall a private building?

Glenn

one eyed fatman
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by one eyed fatman »

Baytown wrote:Isn't the VFW Hall a private building?

Glenn
I believe the city owns that property as they have allowed the DPS to reside there rent free for a number of years now. A recent Katy Times report has the city of Katy wanting them to start paying rent. It seems pretty silly to me that the ones who issue CHL's would put up a 30.06 sign. :roll:

dolanp
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dolanp »

I went into the Denton Central Appraisal District office today because they 'never received' the homestead exemption I sent them back in January. Anyways, they are posted 30.06 and by my reckoning there's no way they should be. They have the tape-on letter type of sign on their glass entry windows.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

mr fixit

Post by mr fixit »

City of Mesquite TX, City Hall 1515 N. Galloway is posted with a 30.06 sign. The 30.06 sign was put up after the city ordinance barring concealed carry was struck down. There is no Police in this building.

elpaso45

Post by elpaso45 »

City of El Paso:

busses have the circle/slash sign
zoo posted with non-compliant sign (should not even be posted)

city hall has metal detectors so we can't go there.

anygunanywhere

Galveston County Sheriff

Post by anygunanywhere »

Downtown Galveston, Gaveston County Sheriff Fingerprint office is 30.06 posted. I do not think it is legal, but it is there.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RatMan

Post by RatMan »

Tarrant Appraisal District and the Appraisal Review Board both have 30.06 signs.
XD9 SC
Para C7.45
CZ RAMI
SA Champion 1911
SA Micro Compact 1911
S&W 1911
S&W Model 60 .357Mag
Taurus Model 415 .41mag
Taurus Model 617TBC .357mag
Taurus .45 Millennium Pro
Taurus .380 Millennium
American Derringer .45ACP

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Let me just say again how much this crap pisses me off! :evil:

These cities expect to gain traffic law compliance in the form of fines issued for breaking them. On the other hand, they know what the law is and just ignore it because, "what are YOU going to do about it."

How would they like it if one of their officers stopped a guy going 45 in a 30, and just said, "Yeah, I know I was speeding, but SCREW YOU, you can't do anything to me."

Glenn

dolanp
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dolanp »

Yeah there ought to be mandatory fines for this kind of thing... directly from the city managers' pockets!
Springfield XD 9mm Service

JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

Texas Tech University in Lubbock probably has 30+ 30.06 signs on every road in to and through campus. They probably doubled the number of them in the past 12 months, too.

I called up the General Counsel office a couple months ago to let them know about it. I actually got someone who has a CHL and understood the uselessness of the signs. He said the intent of the University was to keep Billiy Bob from carrying shotguns openly in the gun rack in his pickup - and similar situations.

The GC office sent a letter to the President's office recommending that all of the signs be taken down and replaced with something else saying that guns are not allowed on University property (which isn't true, but at least it's an improvement). I have been playing phone tag with the Chief of Staff for the President's office for the past week to get some answers on this. I am hoping to finally get ahold of him Monday even if I have to sit around all day doing it.

I am sure they will try to feed me some bull, but we will see. I'll keep everyone posted.

It really irritates me that abuse/ignorance like this goes on on such a large scale.

Jeff

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jimlongley »

Dallas Love Field airport.

Actually the signs are 30.05, which doesn't directly relate to CHL, but the language they use on the sign indicates that they expect it to deny CHL also.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

[quote="JohnWayne"]Texas Tech University in Lubbock probably has 30+ 30.06 signs on every road in to and through campus. They probably doubled the number of them in the past 12 months, too.

It's something in the water in Lubbock, I guess. The Lubbock Civic Center finally took down their 30.06 signs, only to replace them with 51% signs. Someone explain that .............

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”