New CHL numbers out

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Maybe I'm simple-minded...

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

BobCat wrote:PS I did not get the CHL with the idea of actually carrying, . . .
Well, that's 10 demerits! We'll erase them if you carry two pistols everyday for a week. :lol:

Chas.

Topic author
mec
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mec »

The availability of application packets from instructors is fairly new. Makes the process a bit more streamlined as does the new policies for certifying a range. The requirement of two to four weeks prior notice before holding a class will probably have a negative impact on part time instructors but not those who keep a set scheduel. some 4100+instructors have been trained and certified since the program began and currently, something over 1400 are still active.

When the program just began I occasionally heard the following line of reasoning for not getting or delaying application for a license:
" Golll Leeeee! It takes niney days to git a license even after you send in all the stuff! I think that I am gon uh WAIT!"

That one made so much sense that I would take an aspirin and go lie down.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Paladin »

Looking at the demographics info on the DPS's website, it looks like League City (77573) is still leading the state in the "Licenses active by Zip Code" section. 931 active licenses.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
mec
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mec »

57 is the modal age. This is the same population that was 46 or 47 at the time the law went into effect and was the largest single age/year then.

Mcb1154
Posts in topic: 2

League City Licensing

Post by Mcb1154 »

Al Trug runs the League City range where I took the course in Dec. All I had to do was basically show up with money. He had guns available, the forms, cameras for pics, fingerprinting, the works. Could not have been more enjoyable or easier. May explain why League City is the highest licensed location. I sent my app in and a month later got back a form I had forgotten to sign - so now in March, I am still waiting, but am assured via on-line data, that my app is "In Process" (Sigh!)

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I took my class at Marksman, in S. Houston. I'd definitly go back there for renewal.

Does Al Trug have some kind of inside joke about 'cutting a finger off'? Last time I saw his CHL class on the range he told his students if they didn't follow the rules while on the firing line he'd "cut their finger off" I hope he was joking, because to people not in the class (especially the 3 inexperienced shooters I was taking to the range that day) it didn't sound good at all.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

Last edited by orc4hire on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 1

Promoting CHL

Post by GlockenHammer »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Let's put our heads together and come up with a project to promote CHL. Also, please try to talk to some people who don’t have CHL’s and let’s get some hard information, not merely our opinions.
This thread took a turn here towards how difficult it is to get a CHL, but I really grooved on Charles' challenge above. Would people be more likely to brave the CHL process if there was more in it for them than just securing a right to carry? What if having the CHL had other benefits as well, possibly financial benefits....

1. Police confiscate all kinds of weapons. Some are used by the PD, but many are destroyed or permanently stored. PDs won't sell them because of the possible liability if they are in turn used in a crime. What about convincing PDs to make these available only to CHL holders for purchase at a cheap price? We might have to agree to not sell or transfer them for some minimum time and maybe keep them locked up or something. This would really be bolstered if someone in a position to know the legal implications chould work it out. Imagine if the TX DA wrote an opinion on the liability of PDs selling firearms and determined that if they were CHL holders there was no liability. PDs could now turn confiscated weapons into much needed cash to help fight crime and CHL holders could get some nice guns for a good price. What a win-win deal!

2. Convince firearms related business to offer "the CHL percent" (modeled after the NRA percent, obviously) or some other discount for CHL holders. Ranges could offer reduced fees. Gun stores could offer a discount. All could feel better about doing it because they know they're giving it to certified good guys and gals. In addition, just advertising the existence of the available discount would continually bring CHL to the mind of those frequenting the establishments and possibly catch them on the day they decide to go ahead and do it.

On a separate thought, how about starting a "your CHL is welcome here" ad campaign for businesses. I'm sure somebody could come up with a catchy sign that got the point across that criminals should beware because we welcome the armed good guys here. It could be in-your-face or very subtle, depending on what the advertising gurus had to say. It could go right where people put the "no guns" signs today. I bet Luby's would be your first customer. McDonald's might be second (both have had serious random shootings in their establishments). This would serve two purposes. First, it would put CHL on the mind of the general population, and second, it would put CHLers in the light of being the good guy. Note, this could also be combined with the "CHL discount" above--the businesses that offer the discount could use this kind of signage to indicate their participation.

How about a "CHL Mentor" program? Signs at the gun ranges: "Thinking about getting your CHL? Contact one of our mentors to help guide you through the process." Get these folks hooked up with a friend that can walk them through the process. Allay their fears about such things as being able to pass the shooting portion by giving them a dry-run. Provide a gun for them to qualify with if they don't yet have their own (or doesn't meet the .32 cal min). Sort through the legal mumbo-jumbo on the website by pointing them to an "all inclusive" instructor that will walk them through the process (complete with providing their packet). I'll sign up as a mentor. I'll even put in the first order for TX DPS targets we can use.

Public relations. I read an awesome article one time titled "Why I Carry A Gun" which was written by an average Joe that had recognized his desire to not be a victim and to protect his family. Submit these types of articles for publications in run-of-the-mill places (newspaper, local org newsletters, etc.) End with an invitation to look up the CHL mentor program mentioned above and info about the businesses offering discounts to certified good guys.

Convince IDPA to give discounts for CHL holders. This encourages CHL (anyone in the US can apply for a FL license, so that is no excuse). This encourages CHL holders to be more responsible by being better able to deploy their CHL should the need arise. Maybe a special drawing at major matches only for CHL holders shooting the match (better idea since it doesn't reduce revenue). Maybe give a trophy category for special category of CHL holder in each class or division.

Start an organization to promote CHL-friendly policies with employers. Most employees don't want to challenge their employer's stupid anti-gun policies. Give them an organization that will provide some educational information for the employerer in the hopes they can see the light regarding their policies. I find it humorous that I as a stranger off the street can carry my gun into a store and the trusted employees that work there have been disarmed by their employer. Employees don't want to risk their jobs by challenging these anti-gun policies, but I bet they'd love to call some group that could tactfully point out the legal, ethical and moral aspects of that policy and suggest replacements. I'd be happy to work on such an endeavor.

Just some thoughts...

GH

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

GlockenHammer:
You may be onto something here. This gives me some ideas; let's talk at the next meeting.

Chas.

Mcb1154
Posts in topic: 2

Al Trug Comment

Post by Mcb1154 »

Paladin wrote:I took my class at Marksman, in S. Houston. I'd definitly go back there for renewal.

Does Al Trug have some kind of inside joke about 'cutting a finger off'? Last time I saw his CHL class on the range he told his students if they didn't follow the rules while on the firing line he'd "cut their finger off" I hope he was joking, because to people not in the class (especially the 3 inexperienced shooters I was taking to the range that day) it didn't sound good at all.

When I took my class in December, as we were standing at the line waiting to shoot, Al made reference to removing your finger from the trigger until he gave the signal to shoot. We were already focusing on our targets with guns at the ready but had not been signaled to fire. He repeatedly asked people to take their fingers off the triggers and when Knuckleheads (myself included) did not comply, he suggested removing the finger himself. I was chagrinned but not offended, it was my error and his range. I enjoyed his class, found him entertaining and informative but he was making a point.

If the previous poster was one of the fellows in my class, their inexperience handling their weapons in the classroom made me much more nervous. I know the guns were not loaded but I've never seen guns handled so loosely. I go with the philosphy that you treat every gun as if were loaded, so when one gets pointed at me, even in just moving it around it makes me nervous. Especially when the people just bought their first guns and aren't real familiar with them. I was way more worried about them on the range than I was about Al or his comments.

MCB1154

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Mcb1154,

Your explaination makes sense to me.

I haven't taken Al's class, but I have been there on the range when his students are doing their shooting qualification.

I think it's great that he's serious about safety, but his comments the day I was there just didn't sound right to the people on the range, but not in his class.

I know at Marksman, if you mishandle a firearm during qualification, you get booted off the range and have to start the shooting qualification over.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”