How private do you keep your CHL status?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Nobody knows I carry
4%
My immediate family knows, but no one else
17%
Family and close friends know
39%
Some casual friends and co-workers know
15%
I'll compare notes with other CHLs at the range or gun shop
2%
I'll discuss my CHL if the subject arises
17%
I freely discuss and advertise having a CHL
6%

Total votes: 168

Topic author
sylus27
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sylus27 »

Hi guys

My job requires me to verify IDs before releasing personal information to customers. In the last few weeks, I've had quite a few people hand over their drivers license AND their CHL. I'm happy to see so many people with a CHL, but I'm surprised that many people don't keep it as private as I do. Outside my immediate family nobody knows that I have a CHL, and I'm definately not going to show it to some random person who just needs to see my ID.

My close friends know that I have guns in the house but they don't know I carry every day. I realize I may be more private than others - how private do you keep your CHL status?
Last edited by sylus27 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
April 2008 - Packet received by DPS
August 2008 - Plastic in hand!
April 2013 - Renewal packet submitted

brianko
Banned

Re: How private do you keep your CHL status?

Post by brianko »

The CHL remains in my wallet, hidden from view, unless I'm legally obligated to produce it.
A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
Member GOA (life), JPFO

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I preach CHL and RKBA to anyone who will listen. I don't discuss my carry condition with even close friends and don't attempt to use my CHL as an ID unless there is a good reason to do so. The only reasons I know of is to an LEO requesting ID and to a dealer on a gunb Purchase to pass on the NIC check.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Liberty wrote:I preach CHL and RKBA to anyone who will listen. I don't discuss my carry condition with even close friends and don't attempt to use my CHL as an ID unless there is a good reason to do so. The only reasons I know of is to an LEO requesting ID and to a dealer on a gunb Purchase to pass on the NIC check.
:iagree: Perhaps I don't understand the question?

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

I proudly wear my CHL holder badge so that everyone knows I am carrying a gun. And it only cost me $20!!

:coolgleamA: :evil2:
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

killerfly128
Banned

Post by killerfly128 »

iratollah wrote:I proudly wear my CHL holder badge so that everyone knows I am carrying a gun. And it only cost me $20!!

+1

"rlol"

CainA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CainA »

I live in Harris County, so I'm on the loooong waiting list; I don't have that problem as of yet, so I didn't vote. :cryin

-Cain

Revet

Post by Revet »

I told my immediate family and a very few of my closest friends. And frankly, there have been times I've even regretted that. Anyone who knows me well, knows I own guns and always have. Nowadays we all need to be ambassadors for RKBA. But letting people know that I'm carrying one is another thing altogether. It seems that even gun-accepting non-gunners can't get it out of their head when they know you actually have one on your person. The references to and jokes about your armed status wear thin very quickly and could potentially create a bad situation. So now I follow the adage, "always carry, never tell."
Common sense is not common practice.
NRA Benefactor, TSRA life member.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

iratollah wrote:I proudly wear my CHL holder badge so that everyone knows I am carrying a gun. And it only cost me $20!!

Uh Ohhhhhhh.......... :smilelol5:

You're going to get put at the kiddie table on Thursday [abbreviated profanity deleted] sure for that one... "rlol"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

nils

Post by nils »

I don't volunteer the information to strangers, but will certainly answer questions honestly if it comes up....I'm proud to have my CHL...I think that it says A LOT about someone if they have one.... :txflag:
Sent Packet 7/27
DPS Received 8/11
Plastic in Hand 11/07/2008!!!!

Nils F.
Colt Defender
Springfield Armory Operator-Full Rail
Galco IWB Holster

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Like Liberty, I proselytize CHL and RKBA as much as possible, to all kinds of people, but although I often state that I have a CHL, I rarely, very very rarely, let anyone beyond my wife know I'm carrying.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

FightinAggieCHL

Post by FightinAggieCHL »

:iagree:
The right to bear arms shall NOT be infringed.

Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

TexasComputerDude

Post by TexasComputerDude »

I try my best to educate people on my college campus. I sometimes admit that I have one and sometimes don't.
Glock 30 - main ccw

asleepatthereel

Post by asleepatthereel »

CainA wrote:I live in Harris County, so I'm on the loooong waiting list; I don't have that problem as of yet, so I didn't vote. :cryin

-Cain
Just out of curiosity, how long have you been waiting? Ive heard some real horror stories as of late. I know that when its time to renew mine, Im not gonna dilly-dally about it. six months should be sufficient. Of course, Im assuming that we will still be 'allowed' to have our CHLs.
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

asleepatthereel

Post by asleepatthereel »

Revet wrote:I told my immediate family and a very few of my closest friends. And frankly, there have been times I've even regretted that. Anyone who knows me well, knows I own guns and always have. Nowadays we all need to be ambassadors for RKBA. But letting people know that I'm carrying one is another thing altogether. It seems that even gun-accepting non-gunners can't get it out of their head when they know you actually have one on your person. The references to and jokes about your armed status wear thin very quickly and could potentially create a bad situation. So now I follow the adage, "always carry, never tell."
"rlol" Funny you should say that. My father in law is a die hard liberal democrat in NY and he is blatently anti gun. When he found out I was gonna marry his daughter, I thought he was gonna have to be committed. He is the only one in my circle that I have went out of my way to tell about my status. To this day, my wife hasnt told him that she is also licensed. Could you imagine how he would react? When we first met, my wife was the same way as him. She even said she wasnt about to be in the same house with guns. A few months after we got married, she discovered my gun I had secured to the underside of our bed on my side. To her utter amazement, it had not magically woke up and went on a shooting spree all by itself, but it was a hard couple weeks after that. Then, Katrina did its thing, and we were watching it on tv one night when the first of the refugees started to arrive at the dome. Thats when she saw the light. She gave me the often dreaded line, "We need to talk". Thats the only time something good came from that line. She wanted me to teach her how to use the 92. Thats when I broke the news to her about the stash in the attic. She has small hands, and the big Beretta didnt fit them very well. I got some strange looks when I retrieved the guns from the attic and introduced her to her first gun, a Bersa Thunder. Since then she has accumulated several more including a 1911 Commander that she is very proficient with. I cant wait for the day she tells dear old dad about her CHL. :woohoo

Another plus is the fact I have never had to entertain him since he refuses to come here. :smilelol5: :thumbs2:
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”