Collapsible Baton-Legal to Carry in Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Collapsible Baton-Legal to Carry in Texas

Post by nightmare69 »

TVegas wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I had to be certified to carry an ASP. I know that LEOs and certain licensed security guards can legally carry an ASP.
How did you get certified?
In the police academy. We had an ASP instructor come down and teach for a full 8hrs. Classroom, hands-on, and a written test. It is a great weapon if you know how to use it. You can run it as short stick as well.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EEllis »

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
EEllis wrote:
It's not worthless but a pain compliance device. Batons are too light and skinny to do real damage to limbs that would make someone unable to function. For the most part this is by design as the older leaded wood batons can cause real physical damage and death at a much higher rate than modern batons.
My baton is not meant to "damage" or "kill," but it is very good for using against "meaty" targets, such as the thighs, biceps, calves, etc. It's not going to kill somebody, but an instant charlie horse to the thigh may get compliance through pain and discomfort. I would not exactly call it a tool of self defense.
Expandable Batons are also a pretty good fear compliant device. For some reason they scare the crap out of people. But the average asp hit across a muscle group doesn't cause enough trauma to cause a muscle spasm. A baton that is that heavy, that can be swung with enough force, is also a weapon that has a much greater chance of greater injury when used. everything is a trade off.

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

EEllis wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:
EEllis wrote:
It's not worthless but a pain compliance device. Batons are too light and skinny to do real damage to limbs that would make someone unable to function. For the most part this is by design as the older leaded wood batons can cause real physical damage and death at a much higher rate than modern batons.
My baton is not meant to "damage" or "kill," but it is very good for using against "meaty" targets, such as the thighs, biceps, calves, etc. It's not going to kill somebody, but an instant charlie horse to the thigh may get compliance through pain and discomfort. I would not exactly call it a tool of self defense.
Expandable Batons are also a pretty good fear compliant device. For some reason they scare the crap out of people. But the average asp hit across a muscle group doesn't cause enough trauma to cause a muscle spasm. A baton that is that heavy, that can be swung with enough force, is also a weapon that has a much greater chance of greater injury when used. everything is a trade off.
For mine, it's all about the striking tip. There is a pretty good variety that you can get. Mine seemed to work pretty good, though sometimes it would take a few hits to get the itended response. :smilelol5:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

glazer1972
Posts in topic: 1

Post by glazer1972 »

I would not carry one on my person.

The45Guy

Post by The45Guy »

They are illegal because they are silent weapons they could be used to seriously injure or kill another human being without making sound. FACT

rotor

Post by rotor »

The45Guy wrote:They are illegal because they are silent weapons they could be used to seriously injure or kill another human being without making sound. FACT
Old post. But are they illegal? If one has a LTC and is actually carrying their gun at the time it may be legal to carry a baton but only while carrying a gun. Discussed many times with no definitive answer.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Whats with all the thread necromancy today?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

BRAD3000

Post by BRAD3000 »

RE: Batons on person or in a motor vehicle.

Reviewing this thread in its entirety, I conclude this -
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS - bans this as a club unless you are in/on your own home/property including going to or from your vehicle or any such under your control. This would apply to a rental.

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY - For carrying a baton on ones person, this section is an affirmative defense for lawfully possessing a baton while carrying a concealed handgun under a CHL.

I hope my summary above is a good one.

popo22

Post by popo22 »

I can relate what the "Travis County DA" said concerning this issue last year when we ran into the "LTC carrying other weapons". She stated that the "LTC" only applies to a "handgun" and nothing else and specifically said that clubs/batons (asp) do not apply and would be illegal to carry on ones person. Since the passage of HB1935 the illegal knives issue will pretty much become a non-issue as of Sept. 1, 2017.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

popo22 wrote:I can relate what the "Travis County DA" said concerning this issue last year when we ran into the "LTC carrying other weapons". She stated that the "LTC" only applies to a "handgun" and nothing else and specifically said that clubs/batons (asp) do not apply and would be illegal to carry on ones person. Since the passage of HB1935 the illegal knives issue will pretty much become a non-issue as of Sept. 1, 2017.
Not that your information is incorrect, I'm sure it's right. However, isn't the phrase "Travis County DA" like saying "San Francisco DA"?

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

BRAD3000 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:03 pm RE: Batons on person or in a motor vehicle.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS - bans this as a club unless you are in/on your own home/property including going to or from your vehicle or any such under your control. This would apply to a rental.

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY - For carrying a baton on ones person, this section is an affirmative defense for lawfully possessing a baton while carrying a concealed handgun under a CHL.

hmmm so whats the definitive answer here? as long as you have an LTC you can carry a baton?
NRA Member

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Keith B wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:22 pm
jimlongley wrote: Which is the reason that gang bangers are such big golf fans that they carry their favorite nine iron everywhere they go just in case they happen to come across a driving range new to the 'hood and feel the need to hit a couple of buckets of balls.
Yep. Be careful to watch for gangs like this. You can tell them by their gang colors. "rlol"

They all wear the same color polos? :biggrinjester:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

BRAD3000 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:03 pm RE: Batons on person or in a motor vehicle.

I'm curious. When did 46.02 come into effect? Does anyone know?
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

jimlongley wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:17 pm The sticks the "little old ladies out walking for exercise with sticks (e.g. cut down broom handles)" are carrying would seem to me to not fit in the definition "(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, "

Which is the reason that gang bangers are such big golf fans that they carry their favorite nine iron everywhere they go just in case they happen to come across a driving range new to the 'hood and feel the need to hit a couple of buckets of balls.
But couldn't a weapon be considered anything that is used to inflict bodily damage or death?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

PBratton wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 am
jimlongley wrote: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:17 pm The sticks the "little old ladies out walking for exercise with sticks (e.g. cut down broom handles)" are carrying would seem to me to not fit in the definition "(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, "

Which is the reason that gang bangers are such big golf fans that they carry their favorite nine iron everywhere they go just in case they happen to come across a driving range new to the 'hood and feel the need to hit a couple of buckets of balls.
But couldn't a weapon be considered anything that is used to inflict bodily damage or death?
Yes. While carrying a baseball bat, is not illegal, since it was not designed, as a club, once it is used as a club, it becomes prohibited. The same is true, of a hammer, tennis racket, golf club (although the name, is kind of ominous) or, crowbar.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”