30.06 signs at FEMA

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Commander
Posts in topic: 2

30.06 signs at FEMA

Post by Commander »

I recently had occasion to attend some training at FEMA Region 6 headquarters in Denton. As you pull into the drive, there is sign stating "No Firearms Allowed' then the security guard at the gate asks you if you have any weapons. Once you park and walk to enter, there is a large 30.06 sign posted. I just found it interesting. It sure leaves no room for any doubt.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

GrillKing

Re: 30.06 signs at FEMA

Post by GrillKing »

S&W6946 wrote:Once you park and walk to enter, there is a large 30.06 sign posted. I just found it interesting. It sure leaves no room for any doubt.
I know a "governmental entity" cannot prevent carry by CHL per 30.06(e) except in certain places and under certain circumstances. It would seem to me that 30.06 MAY not be applicable to this non-municipal governmental entity. I would think the state of Texas is under no obligation to enforce this under 30.06 state law, only federal law may apply.

BTW, I wouldn't carry, it's just an interesting scenario.

Topic author
Commander

FEMA

Post by Commander »

FEMA is a Federal agency. It my understanding that weapons are prohibited on Federal property regardless of Texas law. I thought it interesting that they posted a 30.06 sign which refers to Texas law rather than the Federal statute prohibiting firearms. I'm not really complaining as it (the signage) makes the policy clear. My local post office (Federal property) has no signage what so ever, but it is my understanding from reading posts here that carrying at a post office is illegal. It would be nice if the post office policy was as clear as FEMA's.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: FEMA

Post by Kalrog »

S&W6946 wrote:It my understanding that weapons are prohibited on Federal property regardless of Texas law.
Just because FEMA is using the building doesn't mean that it is federal property.

There are only 2 places in Austin that are actually federal property. The federal courthouse and the reserve center just north of Camp Mabry. This is despite there being a whole lot more federal offices in town than just those 2 locations.

I know this because Park University needed to hold classes on federal property only (accredidation thing) and those were the only 2 places available in the city - and they could only get the reserve center.

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

Also, as I read and interpret the law it is not "illegal" for a CHL to carry at a Post Office either. Read the statutes and determine for yourself though.

barres

Post by barres »

S&W6946 wrote:It my understanding that weapons are prohibited on Federal property regardless of Texas law. I thought it interesting that they posted a 30.06 sign which refers to Texas law rather than the Federal statute prohibiting firearms.
If you read the Federal statutes carefully, there is a clause that many interpret to allow CCW. Because some have that interpretation, they may be using the Texas 30.06 law to close that loophole.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

S&W6946 wrote: Because some have that interpretation, they may be using the Texas 30.06 law to close that loophole.
The point I didn't do a good job of making in my earlier post is that I question whether this closes the loophole. Texas law clearly states that govermental entities cannot prohibit carry by a CHL except in a few cases, the FEMA property probably not one of them. Texas is not bound to enforce 30.06 prohibited carry for FEMA unless they meet the terms of the statute. If FEMA wants to prohibit carry, it must conform to Texas law (which I'm not sure it does) or use Federal statutes.

Of course, I'm not a legal expert by any stretch and certainly wouldn't put the above to a practical test!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”