CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Chris
Posts in topic: 3

Would you carry to church?

Post by Chris »

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgaz ... 126432.htm

Earlier in my career, I never felt the need to have a gun on me all the time. After some issues with a few select thugs who wanted to bring my work home for me, I carry every where I go now.

I know CHLs are prohibited from carrying in a church, but is it about time that changed and would you if you could?

I do.

ElGato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ElGato »

We aren't prohibited in Church anymore unless they post 30.06, I haven't heard of any that do.
Tom
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

It was only about 6 months ago I realized that you could carry in church as long as they don't post.

It's kind of ironic that in the early colonies, people were often legally required to carry a gun and ammo to church.

I haven't actually carried in church yet as my wife would frown on it and it would be difficult to hug people without giving things away.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Some years back, I had a discussion with a fellow church member (Baptist) about carrying guns in church. The discussion was primarily on theological grounds and in the end he commented, “you’ll never need a gun in church anyway.� This was prior to the murders in a Fort Worth Baptist Church where the guy targeted it specifically because it was a Baptist Church and prior to the murders at a Catholic Cathedral in Houston. Since then, there have been others around the country. So much for the “you’ll never need it� theory.

Like Tom, I can’t recall ever seeing a 30.06 sign on a church. I did see a TV news report in Houston (after Section 30.06 was created in 1997) that included an interview with a Catholic priest who said they were going to post some church building, but I can’t recall where it was located.

I agree that there is no reason to have churches, hospitals or nursing homes as prohibited carry locations. If the owners want them “off-limits� they can simply post the 30.06 sign. These are but remnants of some provisions we had to accept to get SB60 passed in 1995. Most have been removed now, but since these do not apply unless a 30.06 sign is posted, they really haven’t gotten anyone’s attention.

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
Chris

Post by Chris »

ElGato wrote:We aren't prohibited in Church anymore unless they post 30.06, I haven't heard of any that do.
Tom
§ 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
HOLDER.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license
holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun
under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the
license holder's person:
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other
established place of religious worship.

did they just forget to update? i haven't heard anything that changes that.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Some years back, I had a discussion with a fellow church member (Baptist) about carrying guns in church. The discussion was primarily on theological grounds and in the end he commented, “you’ll never need a gun in church anyway.� This was prior to the murders in a Fort Worth Baptist Church where the guy targeted it specifically because it was a Baptist Church and prior to the murders at a Catholic Cathedral in Houston. Since then, there have been others around the country. So much for the “you’ll never need it� theory.

I agree that there is no reason to have churches, hospitals or nursing homes as prohibited carry locations. If the owners want them “off-limits� they can simply post the 30.06 sign. These are but remnants of some provisions we had to accept to get SB60 passed in 1995. Most have been removed now, but since these do not apply unless a 30.06 sign is posted, they really haven’t gotten anyone’s attention.

Regards,
Chas.
i remember those shootings, in south fort worth wasn't it? there was a guy who nutted out at JPS hospital in fort worth several years ago. he shot up the emergency room.

at church, no one ever knows i'm carrying. what would it hurt anyone for me to have a gun and they not know about it? same with a CHL. i'm sure if people did know i was carrying, i'd be called all sorts of things, but i was a boy scout and still remember that motto.

extremist

Post by extremist »

It was changed back in 1998 I believe. They added:

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor
was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

So you have to read to the BOTTOM of 46.035

Who taught your CHL renewal class? :wink:

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
Chris

Post by Chris »

extremist wrote:
It was changed back in 1998 I believe. They added:

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor
was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

So you have to read to the BOTTOM of 46.035

Who taught your CHL renewal class? :wink:

James
never went. i don't deal with it that much outside of traffic stops. that's why i joined here. i'm getting one just because i can, but avoiding the instant checks is all i'll get from it.

i guess that goes to show how much i've needed that law. i don't recall ever having a problem with a CHL holder outside the typical t-stop arguments.

Baytown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Baytown »

I have never been able to figure why people have such a huge reservation on carrying a gun in a church. When they say they can't bring themselves to carry a gun in church, I ask one question.

"What if you need to shoot someone in church? If you don't have a gun, you won't be able to."

Glenn

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

I have seen only a couple of churches that post, and they both have invalid signs.

My church, on the other hand, has sponsored CHL classes and provided a place for the classes to meet.

I would not care to guess how many concealed firearms there might be on the premises at any given time. It just makes me feel all the more safe when there.

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

Baytown wrote:I have never been able to figure why people have such a huge reservation on carrying a gun in a church. When they say they can't bring themselves to carry a gun in church, I ask one question.

"What if you need to shoot someone in church? If you don't have a gun, you won't be able to."

Glenn

The opposition comes from the church heirarchy in almost all denominations. A majority of ecclesiastical leaders are anti-gun. Too bad.

Braden

Post by Braden »

A few years ago I wouldn't have even considered carrying to worship. I didn't think it was necessary or warranted. Unfortunately, some of the whackos out there today see nothing wrong with walking into a church building and opening fire on innocent people. So...I carry. Not always, because sometimes my church dress simply won't conceal my G22, but when I can I do (which is generally Sunday night and Wednesday night).

Only two people know...my wife and a reserve LEO who also carries there. Nobody else needs to know.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

Yes, I would and have for the past year or so. I know of one other member that carries, but I hope there are more I'm unaware of.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Paladin wrote:...it would be difficult to hug people without giving things away.
Yeah, hugging is contagious at my church as well. Ankle rig fixes that problem! And this week church is outside at a park, so in a pocket of the 5.11 vest will work as well.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

So it's not social when someone at church tries to give me a hug and I give them on open-hand shove to the chest, blade-off, and give a verbal command of: "Stay back" as I pull out my pepper? :oops:

I had to laugh out loud just writing that. That's funny, I don't care who you are. :lol:

Glenn

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

"Smart Carry" is just the thing for church. If you use one and somebody hugging you discovers you are armed, shame on you. You shouldn't be hugging that close at church anyway! One more note: Any clothes that are too tight or too small to conceal a "Smart Carry" rig probably aren't appropriate to wear to church. *note I'm over 50.
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”