CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
prepared_not_paranoid
Posts in topic: 1

Getting too close to Home

Post by prepared_not_paranoid »

Hello,
First time posting here and enjoying all the comments and post. I read something here that trigured an article I just read in the paper.

The Lufkin Daily News

Sunday, May 14, 2006

A group of four men is believed to have assaulted two people and attempted to assault another Saturday night during altercations on Paul and Locke streets.

According to police reports, the men initially appeared on Locke Street Saturday night with golf clubs, breaking windows out of five cars. A motorcycle was also turned over and damaged, the report stated. Men in the group stabbed one man in the right leg and hit another with a golf club, the report stated. They tried but failed to kick in the door of a house to attack more people, according to the report.

The men then left and later appeared on Paul Street at the house of relatives of some of the previous victims, according to the report. The group broke windows out of a car and attempted to assault someone with a tire tool before leaving, the report stated.

This was about 3 miles from my house, you train repeatedly in order to be better prepared but they seem to come out in groups. Guess this post is more of that funny feeling where that could happen to me.

Just curoius and not wanting to bring back any bad memories, but I have not come across a post where anybody has had to draw or defend themselves, did training kick in? any tips... etc

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

Mighty rough part of town there. Three miles is farther than most trouble hunters will walk to find it. They can find plenty closer. I have delivered phone books in that area a few times a few yrs ago for vacation money. It is evident that if you don't belong there you better have a reason to be there. Tend your business & go where you belong. Yes to the groups. (gangs) Charles just posted that 60%, I believe, of the violent crime is committed by 2 or more perps now.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

prepared_not_paranoid:

Love the screen name. I just got my CHL a couple of weeks ago and when I told my dad that I plan to carry 24/7, he called me paranoid......I told him..."you called it paranoid, I call it prepared." Sorry this off the topic, but saw your screen name and it made me think of this.

RR

Boma

Post by Boma »

My mom doesn't want me to have CHL at all. She doesn't know.

dpatterson

Post by dpatterson »

Glad to see another Lufkinite on the Board....

Your screen name reminds me of a saying back from HS Football...

"Its better to be prepared and not have an opportunity
than to have an opportunity and not be prepared"

Same prinicpals apply here......

DP
If Guns kill people, my keyboard mispells words.....

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

RedRaider, if you happen to be as in TexasTech RedRaider, then just start keeping Newspaper articles from the AJ of crime that happens at places good folks go during the times good folks would be there. It should not take long to get quite a few. I keep a running folder for anyone that wants to know why I think we should carry 24-7. The average time lapse between incidents of MAJOR CRIME in places I & my family go AT A TIME WE WOULD GO THERE is running 1 every 15 weeks. This folder does not have the midnight armed robery of the isolated Quick Stop. We are not there. Sooner or later that kind of average has got to catch up with Joe Citizen. Even I would not have ever thought it would be that often.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

longtooth wrote:RedRaider, if you happen to be as in TexasTech RedRaider, then just start keeping Newspaper articles from the AJ of crime that happens at places good folks go during the times good folks would be there. It should not take long to get quite a few. I keep a running folder for anyone that wants to know why I think we should carry 24-7. The average time lapse between incidents of MAJOR CRIME in places I & my family go AT A TIME WE WOULD GO THERE is running 1 every 15 weeks. This folder does not have the midnight armed robery of the isolated Quick Stop. We are not there. Sooner or later that kind of average has got to catch up with Joe Citizen. Even I would not have ever thought it would be that often.
Thanks for the idea. I am a TTU alumn now living in Houston, I'm sure I'll have no problem finding some articles like the ones you suggest.

pfgrone

Post by pfgrone »

longtooth, great idea. I'll label a folder today. Thanks
Paul G.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”