IWB question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
spud
Posts in topic: 4

IWB question

Post by spud »

Well Im trying to get the kinks of this IWB thing out before my CHL gets here in a few weeks. Ok, I have sitting down, walking is good, dont know about driving yet, will be going to a friends land to give that one a whirl, but I am stuck at one place.

How do you make your shirt NOT tuck between the gun and your back after sitting? I dont want to get all meat headed and forget to untuck it after standing and get into poo.

I usually wear untucked polo shirts and every now and then a T-shirt. I havent made the switch to button downs yet because I hate shopping.

I guess the bonus question for 2 points is, where can I find button down shirts (That you guys wear) that are cut to not be tucked in. Has to be decent stuff so I can wear it at work.

Thanks in advance.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Re: IWB question

Post by gigag04 »

spud wrote:
I guess the bonus question for 2 points is, where can I find button down shirts (That you guys wear) that are cut to not be tucked in. Has to be decent stuff so I can wear it at work.
Sam's - you can get Van Husen shirts cheaply.

Ralph Lauren/Polo - mall stores: foley's, Dilliards etc

As far as IWB carry with my XD9sc and my 3" kimber I never have experienced the shirt sticking. I usually double check stuff when I stand up and just pull my shirt down and make sure its free and loose.

What holster/gun combo are you using?

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
spud

Post by spud »

Ah, didnt think to check Polo. Thanks 2 points for you :P

As for my setup, its a Walther P99 40 in a Tucker "answer" @ 4ish

da.suxor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by da.suxor »

There is no way to always keep your shirt right. It comes with carrying. You have to get used to fixing your shirt when standing up, sitting down, making big movements, etc. You will get use to it and know what works and what doesn't.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Topic author
spud

Post by spud »

I figured it would come to that, just didnt know if there was a trick that I was missing.

Thanks for the replys.

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

One of my biggest "tells" to a lay person that I am carrying is the fixing of my shirt after I stand, squat or what ever. I am still new at this by most standards and fixing my shirt is automatic now.

j1132s

Post by j1132s »

It was annoying to me to not tucking in my shirts, so I stopped IWB carry. Now I just pocket carry, which may not work out too well in your case considering you gun.

When I used to carry IWB, I like to wear darker and heavier-weigth shirts. I didn't find the need to fix my shirt when standing up from a seated position too much at all. Especially if I wear an unbuttoned dress shirt.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Spud, nice gun.
I, too, recommend untucked polos.
Also, have you considered IWB carry at the 1 or 2 o'clock positions? I don't know how well this would work for you, considering the gun size.
For me, it's easy to glance down and see if anything is peeping out.

You can also wear a t-shirt with an untucked and opened button-down shirt if your gun is behind IWB @ 6 o'clock.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

Venus Pax wrote: Also, have you considered IWB carry at the 1 or 2 o'clock positions?
I'm not sure how well this would work for a male. It may though...I'm not sure.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

1:00, 2:00 & cross draw 10:00 work great for ladies. I have only known one man that had the pecs & abs to pull that off w/ a t-shirt. 3:00 to 4:30 is the most popular & versatile.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

1TallTXn

Post by 1TallTXn »

I'm a stinking toothpick and have gotten away with 1-2 o'clock carry, but its just not comfy IMO. Tended to jab me in the upper thigh unless canted JUST right. not fun

I normally carry my PT111MP at ~4 and have just gotten used to checking the shirt.

I carried a couple weekends ago while helping a friend move. Shorts, long t-shirt and nobody noticed. I always made sure it was covered, but it never was an issue.

I usually wear polos or t-shirts un-tucked over the gun. I know its taken me a while to get used to it being there and remember that 90% of the people you meet will never notice anything. sometimes I wonder if I could go w/o a shirt and have people notice. :shock:

64zebra

Post by 64zebra »

I got button down shirts at Kohls and Cabelas (was grand opening in Ft Worth, I had to buy something right?)
I have dark color, plaid, and some "golf" shirts with various patters, they all work quite well in breakin up any type of misfortune with the shirt catching on anything or printing
shirt being caught between weapon and body just isn't an issue for me
LEO/CHL Certified Glock Armorer
Guns: not enough space here, but G17 duty/G30 off/S&W 642 BU
Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
If loose gun laws are good for criminals, why do criminals support gun control?

Topic author
spud

Post by spud »

Great replys, I thought about it at 1-2ish. But honestly that bothers me. The family jewls are quite a valuable asset to me :).

Ah cabelas, I need to run up there anyways. Luckaly I have about 3.5-4 weeks to go.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”