CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dvor
Posts in topic: 1

Question about CHL class expiration

Post by dvor »

Hi Everyone,
I took the course back on 2/21/09 and I believe I remember the instructor saying it was only valid for six months. Is that correct? Unfortunately since I already had a FL CHL when I moved here I dragged my butt and have not sent in my package yet. I had better get moving.
Thanks for your assistance!

Rick

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Question about CHL class expiration

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum. You have two years for an initial application.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

Hi dvor, and welcome to the forum! :tiphat:

Jim is correct. You have 2 years from the date you took your class if you received your original application from your instructor.

However, if you applied online, and received your packet directly from DPS, you have only one year to submit it.

(just to clarify)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ninemm
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ninemm »

My wife took the class on 02/28/2009. Submitted her application at the same time I submitted mine. She got her fingerprints rejected. She got new fingerprint cards submitted and got the resubmitted fingerprints back saying her application had been terminated and that she needs to reapply. Our instructor is now saying she has to take the class over again. Is that correct?

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

No, it is not correct.

Did this notification from DPS come in writing?

The time limit for a TR-100 form is from the date on the form to the date that DPS received the application.

Once the application has been received, you go around in circles with DPS until you get your CHL or they formally reject your application.

Plenty of people have gone through multiple fingerprintings and finally got their CHL.

I don't know what you should do, but DPS saying that her application was rejected because of the quality of the fingerprints is nonsense. Hopefully someone with more experience will know what to do.

- Jim

joe817

Post by joe817 »

She got new fingerprint cards submitted and got the resubmitted fingerprints back saying her application had been terminated and that she needs to reapply.
This makes no sense to me what so ever. Did DPS give a reason why the application was terminated? I agree with everything Jim said. By law DPS must notify your wife that she had been denied. You DO have remedies. You can request a hearing, but it must be requested no later than the 30th day after the notice is received by her.

But in any event, I certainly don't understand why her application was "terminated".
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ninemm

Post by ninemm »

It was terminated because she did not get the replacement fingerprint cards back in a timely manner.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Does she have a letter from DPS saying that she must return new fingerprint cards by X date?

And she didn't get them to DPS on time?

- Jim

joe817

Post by joe817 »

ninemm wrote:It was terminated because she did not get the replacement fingerprint cards back in a timely manner.
The only way I could see that is a possibility is if they applied online and did not meet the 1 year submission requirement, and the application "expired" prior to receiving the 2nd set of prints.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

ninemm

Post by ninemm »

seamusTX wrote:Does she have a letter from DPS saying that she must return new fingerprint cards by X date?

And she didn't get them to DPS on time?

- Jim
That's it. Her initial application (done online) was in Feb. '09.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I don't know the regs that well, but if DPS rejected the application because she didn't get the second set of fingerprints back by the stated deadline, she probably has to apply again. (Stinks, but what are you going to do?)

OK. I looked up the regs. If an application is not legible or complete, the applicant has 90 days to rectify the situation. That period can be extended another 90 days, but you have to apply for the extension before the deadline.

I don't see that she needs to take the class again. She just needs to get her original TR-100 back.

- Jim

ninemm

Post by ninemm »

The day she got her letter saying her fingerprints were unacceptable, we contacted our instructor (Mark Wammack). Turns out he scheduled the re-do of the fingerprints outside the window of time necessary to get them back in. I guess this is a lesson in choosing a competent instructor. She can't get her original TR100 back so she will have to take the whole thing over again.

smithboy922
Posts in topic: 2

Post by smithboy922 »

hello all, newb here. i also was wondering about the time limit on mailing my paperwork to the state. i tookmy chl on 3/29/09, and have been draggin my feet to mail it in. fingerprints and photos are done, just need to send my $140 in with it all. So 2years is the time limit from the initial course? thank u in advance!!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

You have two years to submit your application after taking the course.

- Jim

smithboy922
Posts in topic: 2

Post by smithboy922 »

awsome, thank you Jim.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”