CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

A reminder of why to carry

Post by KBCraig »

Not in Texas, but still a good reminder of why it's always wise to be prepared to defend yourself.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... ns12m.html

Pierce County park visitors assaulted by gang of thugs

By Jennifer Sullivan
Seattle Times staff reporter

For several nights last month, a group of thugs with black hooded sweat shirts pulled tight over their heads, including at least one in "angry" clown makeup, terrorized visitors to Pierce County's Fort Steilacoom Park, police say.

The group cried "woo, woo, Juggalo" as they assaulted park visitors with a machete and fists. They stole cellphones, cash and wallets and even threatened to cut their victims' heads off, according to court documents.

So far, two men and a woman have been charged with robbery and assault for their alleged roles in the string of attacks, said Pierce County deputy prosecutor Phil Sorensen. Prosecutors say the suspects claim to be "Juggalos," a subculture that has developed among the fan base of the rap/metal group Insane Clown Posse.

"The violence was gratuitous," said Lakewood police Lt. Dave Guttu. "They [victims] had already given up their stuff and were assaulted anyway."

Two victims suffered broken jaws in the attacks that occurred the nights of June 18-20 and early in the morning of June 21. Another was kicked in the head, and a woman said her attackers demanded that she take off her pants, according to prosecutors.

All of the victims were at the park after it closed, police said.

Guttu said eight to 10 more people are being sought for their alleged roles in the attacks, in which 23 people were injured.
Information

According to prosecutors, one of the men charged in the attacks claimed that Juggalo groups are growing in Pierce County — going by the names "Hatchet Riders," "Juggalo Empire" and "Northwest Juggalo Posse."

"The people in the Juggalo group say they're seeing violence on the rise among the Juggalo group," Guttu said.

Anthony Pierce, 29, Crystal Hilliard, 19, and Daniel Barnum, 21, are accused of participating in the park assaults. But, Guttu says, violence is atypical among Juggalos in Lakewood, where the park is located.

Juggalos and Juggalettes — as female fans of Insane Clown Posse are called — are known to dress in black and wear black and white clownlike face paint. According to a statement on the Web site whatisajuggalo.com, the subculture preaches racial tolerance and belief in a religion.

Spokespeople for Insane Clown Posse's record label, Psychopathic Records, didn't return calls for comment Tuesday. The band is scheduled to perform this weekend in the annual "Gathering of Juggalos," a large outdoor concert near Columbus, Ohio.

Victims of the Fort Steilacoom violence reported that one woman was wearing black clownlike eye makeup and other attackers were dressed in black hoodies, Guttu said. One person carried a machete. The Insane Clown Posse is often identified by the symbol of a laughing clown carrying a meat cleaver or hatchet.

Sorensen, the deputy prosecutor, said other people claiming to be Juggalos have been charged in violent crimes.

Guttu said the park, which closes at 9 p.m., had become a popular hangout for Juggalos to drink and smoke marijuana. He advises park visitors to visit the park only when it is open.

spud

Post by spud »

I dont understand how weak minded you have to be to let a band (if I even go as far to call them a "band") change your life so far as to you resort to things like this.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

spud wrote:I dont understand how weak minded you have to be to let a band (if I even go as far to call them a "band") change your life so far as to you resort to things like this.
one word: Satan

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Satan? I disagree.

Stupid kids with no direction in life + pot = bad things. Satan or no Satan.

Add some suggestive music(which even if inherently evil-sounding, is still nothing but suggestive) and you get even worse things. Same thing with movies.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

+1 kw.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

sparx

Post by sparx »

Sounds awfully close to Clockwork Orange antics to me... and we all know that "rehab" didn't work there, so perhaps those clowns need to visit Folsom or San Quentin for a long while... I'm sure those guys would like to see some "painted faces"! ;-)
NRA, TSRA, TXGR, SAF, GOA & FPC
"I'm not terrified of guns, I'm terrified of gun-free zones!"

John R. Fuller

This is an OUTSTANDING! Teaching Moment.

Post by John R. Fuller »

All:
Let us examine the set up here. Multiple attackers assault you while you are in a park that is closed to the general public after hours. You are armed with what ever you are armed with on a daily basis.

1. What is your initial reaction?
- I say run as fast as you can without laughing too hard at the angry clown faces.
2. If you attempted to retreat unsuccessfully, what do you do now?
- Once I observe the mean clowns assault me or attempt it with a machete, I draw and fire on the one with the greatest threat to my life.
3. One of the best ways to avoid this particular situation is to not be in a place you should not be after hours or closed to the general public.
I am not the first or the last...

dws1117

Re: This is an OUTSTANDING! Teaching Moment.

Post by dws1117 »

John R. Fuller wrote:All:
Let us examine the set up here. Multiple attackers assault you while you are in a park that is closed to the general public after hours. You are armed with what ever you are armed with on a daily basis.

1. What is your initial reaction?
- I say run as fast as you can without laughing too hard at the angry clown faces.
2. If you attempted to retreat unsuccessfully, what do you do now?
- Once I observe the mean clowns assault me or attempt it with a machete, I draw and fire on the one with the greatest threat to my life.
3. One of the best ways to avoid this particular situation is to not be in a place you should not be after hours or closed to the general public.
Very good post Mr. Fuller.

+1 on number 3.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”