Parking lot incident

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sparx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sparx »

longtooth wrote:Several yrs ago...
This less than lethal training has reemphasized the truth that you will be reduced to your daily level of CONSTANT training. You will not only DO what you have trained to do, but you will say what you have trained yourself to say.
I only abbreviated the quoting of your message as everything you said longtooth is just too cool... everything down to dialing 911 and making the report. But you're right, and I can very easily see the training not only making everything smoother, but when actions become rote you don't have to worry about what should be done next, as you've "already been there." :coolgleamA:
NRA, TSRA, TXGR, SAF, GOA & FPC
"I'm not terrified of guns, I'm terrified of gun-free zones!"

longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longtooth »

Venus Pax wrote:My main problem with pepper spray/ OC, is that you need to know which way the wind is blowing and often don't have time to test it before deploying.
You are right here. I don't really like that part either but pepper is still the best intermediate defense we have at 6ft. Only time I have had to present a weapon of any sort has been for dogs. (3times) Kubatons, knives, keys, ...all require a closer incounter. Some day there may be a wireless, small, shock of some sort. For those that have asthme as you the risk probably exceeds any possible benefit.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 1

Add another "what if?" to this situation.

Post by John R. Fuller »

All:
I think that Age Ranger probably handled this the best way he could considering the circumstances. I think that maybe we are concentrating too much on when we should use the deadly force of any kind over another type of defense.

I am writing about situational awareness. I hate disarming before going into a prohibited place, but I am always looking 360 degrees around before and after putting the weapon in a safe. A determined criminal can and will defeat this system, but only a few.

I was thinking about the prostitute. He/she could have been an undercover vice member looking for an easy bust. Pulling a weapon might give the undercover police another reason to arrest you. This is an extremely remote possibility, but it could happen.

I am in the camp that believes and practices concealed carry means concealed until the muzzle is facing a direct threat to life, and then it will be too late for any type of retreat, and all doubt will be removed as to my "fear for my life."
I am not the first or the last...

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

The possibility of the vice P. impersonater is not that far fetched. We & many communities have had the Female officers on the streets for a while. Haddn't thought O that but shore is a good post.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AV8R

Post by AV8R »

longtooth wrote:The possibility of the vice P. impersonater is not that far fetched. We & many communities have had the Female officers on the streets for a while. Haddn't thought O that but shore is a good post.
And when in doubt, remember that police officers generally benefit from a comprehensive dental plan.

Topic author
age_ranger
Posts in topic: 4

Post by age_ranger »

Well, if this was an impersonator, they got it right down to the blistered lips, smell and even went as far to starve a male officer for the role. No, this was unfotunately, the real deal. The area around the VA in Dallas has gotten pretty bad. I've decided to transfer to Bonham. Better neighborhood and I can just avoid anything like this in the future.

I've read alot on concealed carry and talked to friends about it. I think the number one thing I've learned so far is that carrying a weapon doesn't make me tougher or more resistant to attack. It's a big responsibility and if I wouldn't let my wife go somewhere unarmed, I probably shouldn't be going there, even with a weapon. I've got alot left to learn, but this is a very good start.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Ranger, my Dad used the Bonham VA. He lived in Paris & even though it was '96 when he died, he said he did not want to go to the one in Dallas. It was pretty rough then.
I did not intend to think your perp was a undercover cop. We have all got to bring up stuff others don't think of. First time I got into "things unthought of" was several yr ago. Here in Texas we cannot carry at any professional sporting event. Baseball, basketball, football. That includes also soccer & hockey.
One day I was talking to a friend here about the rodeo & how good a show it was. "You did not carry did you?" Sure, you know i am 24-7. That is a professional sporting event. PRCA is Pro Rodeo Cowboy Association. From there we started looking.
Here in Deep East Texas we have a "Forrest Festival" in October. In the forest festival there is a Professional Lumberjack Competition. You can carry in the FF but can't climb into the bleachers & watch the Lumberjacks. You don't even go in a fence let alone a building.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

age_ranger wrote: I've read alot on concealed carry and talked to friends about it. I think the number one thing I've learned so far is that carrying a weapon doesn't make me tougher or more resistant to attack. It's a big responsibility and if I wouldn't let my wife go somewhere unarmed, I probably shouldn't be going there, even with a weapon. I've got alot left to learn, but this is a very good start.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.

It certainly is "a very good start". You seem to have learned early what some people never learn.

Proud of ya!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

longtooth wrote:<snip>. Now we even take the batteries out of cell phones & call the incident in. Be surprised how clumsey we were to start with getting them out & getting the 911 punched. We knew we were missing the #s some.<snip>
Here's a suggestion:

Set up a "speed dial" on "9" (for 911) that will actually call someone.
This someone is in the range house-- out of ear shot of you, so you can't hear him, and he will be the "911 operator".

This person would even answer "911, What's your emergency?"

(You have reached 911, all operators are busy now... please hold for the next available operator... wait time is approximatelly XX minutes.)

You would then proceed on through your training exercise as planned...

At the end of your training--- make the speed dial "9" actually "911," so that you do exactly as you train.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”